Flying Osmo!
2195 6 2016-5-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flighttime1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

Now that we have our Osmo, I got a chance to test it out yesterday while in route for an aerial shoot in an R22. This is it's intended purpose and overall I was reasonably happy with the results. No color grading just a few short clips.

2016-5-19
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Thanks for your video and your kind comment on the Osmo.
2016-5-19
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.2

Nice footage. I have a question, is this a helicopter or plane? I assume a helicopter. Are you doing real estate videos? With aerials, do you shoot 120fps and adjust speed in post?

When it is banking- the Osmo had no problem keeping the horizon level or did you do some adjusting in post? Did you remove the door or window and if so, did the jet stream affect you? Or did you just shoot out a side window?

Thanks,

Ned
Chicago Videographer
www.nedmiller.com
2016-5-20
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Chicago DP... It's a Robinson R22 2 seat helicopter, with the left door off. Our current clients are mostly in the real estate industry, yes, but only still wok. Video is something we are expanding into. As far as technique, that's something that's going to evolve as we continue testing. This was the first trial and most of the footage was not useful due to excessive motion blur as we were not really up to shoot video and cruising along the shore line rather rapidly. Yes, you absolutely have to keep the Osmo inside the craft unless you enjoy seeing the gimbal slam sideways from the wind. No adjustments were made in post.
2016-5-20
Use props
flighttime1
Second Officer
United States

Quick update for anyone who is considering using their Osmo in a heli. Went up today in an R44 (4 seater) with both of the back doors off. I won't do that again. The wind blowing through the cabin makes it almost impossible to shoot, even at slow speeds. You basically have to keep the Osmo so far inboard to avoid having the gimbal being twisted by the wind that the edges of the door frame are in the shot.
#badchoice #wastedeffort
2016-5-21
Use props
tedrosenberger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23665 ft
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2016-5-21 19:37
Quick update for anyone who is considering using their Osmo in a heli. Went up today in an R44 (4 se ...

I agree from experience that the Osmo must be protected from wind above 30 mph and vibration to work in an aircraft.   Our solution is elaborate but it works well.  I have developed a gyro stabilized camera box to isolate the Osmo from vibration and to protect it from the wind.  Here's a test flight and some sample footage from my helicopter.  We'll be offering a version of this box for sale to the helicopter industry in the near future.

2016-5-25
Use props
Maldonado
New

Spain

Just now I need conect my Osmo in a R22 too. Tedrosenberger has a good idea but unfortunately Osmo can not turn left or rigth. I´m thinking in a fishbowl methacrylate conect to the OSmo and helicopter. It is strange that no one has thought of this before.It´s very strange that anybody.
2016-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules