My Low Tech Fix for Horizontal Drift. Anyone Else?
761 3 2016-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Chicago DP
lvl.2

Yesterday I did my first professional gig with the Osmo 3X, it's was b-roll of people. I brought it as a freebe so if things went south I wouldn't be in trouble. From a lot of practice I knew I have H drift but could not figure out the app adjustments, nor did I trust them.

So my very simple solution was to slow down my pan BEFORE the point I knew the shot would look best, the final phase of my drift would end up perfectly composed in terms of head room and looking room. I am a freelance DP so my footage will be edited by total strangers and I didn't want to mess them up by not having a good tail to my shots. I knew from practice that if I stop when IT LOOKS CORRECT, the Osmo just keeps on going for another second, thus ruining the shot, so I compensate by slowing down a little sooner.

Anyone else doing this? Seemed to work swell for me.

Ned
Chicago Videographer
www.nedmiller.com
2016-5-20
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2

That just no good to have to deal with a product not working as designed.. They probably mounted the onbaord acc/gyro mpu 60-- series by its heat pad when the data sheet says not to. I had to retrofit countless blade 350 qx flight controllers after the manufacturer designed them improperly. Same gyro design is in all motion stabilized devices.
2016-5-20
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.2

Well, that response made absolutely no sense.
2016-5-20
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-5-21 07:59
Well, that response made absolutely no sense.

Only made no sense to you..... They designed the gimbal improperly. You should not have to compensate for its design errors. Happy you found a way to make yours work for you.
2016-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules