iPad Mini 2/3 worth it?
1610 11 2016-5-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Romi
lvl.2

United States

Hello,

I am faced with the opportunity to buy an iPad mini 2 for about $180-200 USD. Is the iPad worth the upgrade from my iPhone 5s? Obviously the screen is more optimal for use with the Inspire 1 but how is its performance? I do like the convenience of just using the phone I always carry on me but I would like a larger screen to compose shots more accurately.

Thanks!
Single SelectVote, Total 16 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2016-5-21
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

I've got two iPad Mini 2's and they are the perfect size. How the hell have you been flying with a iPhone 5? I've got a 6 Plus and it's still too small for my liking.

2016-5-21
Use props
devoh002
lvl.1

United States

Same here, have two of them for the pilot and camera controllers.
2016-5-21
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

I got an Ipad mini 2 for $180 on eBay. New in sealed box!!
Best $180 I have spent yet. Big screen, no performance issues whatever.
2016-5-21
Use props
MrSilicon
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6693586 ft
Australia

I bought a 2nd hand iPad mini 3. Works like a charm.

With the 2 controller setup cam operator gets the iPad, pilot gets the iPhone.
2016-5-21
Use props
dopeytree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just upgraded from a mini 2 to the ipad pro 9.7" same size as the air & the bigger screen makes a massive difference!!
2016-5-22
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

dopeytree Posted at 2016-5-22 20:18
I just upgraded from a mini 2 to the ipad pro 9.7" same size as the air & the bigger screen makes a  ...

Dumb question and I'm too lazy to get my controller out this early in the morning. Will the 9.7 fit on the controller with no issues?
2016-5-22
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

IPad mini 4, IMO, provides maximum illumination when outdoors, plus no fear of disruptions because of overheating and other related concerns which had occurred from time to time with previous versions.  
The 4 had been on sale for $299 brand new earlier in the year, so you may be able to pick one up refurbished from Apple with full warranty for a reasonable price. Just some food for thought.
Bottom line, go with what you can afford Mini 3 or Mini 2 are all very nice and work reasonably well. If you live in a warm climate I would consider choosing a light color, White or silver, and avoid placing the IPad into a protective case, this to avoid possible overheating issues which will cause shutdown at an inopportune time.  : )
2016-5-22
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2016-5-22 05:54
Dumb question and I'm too lazy to get my controller out this early in the morning. Will the 9.7 fi ...

yes
2016-5-22
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3

Thank you
2016-5-22
Use props
Romi
lvl.2

United States

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I got the seller down to $150 and she accepted. I just had a flight and the mini iPad 2 is amazing! The performance is identical to my iPhone (both are very low latency and very smooth). The bigger screen makes a HUUUUUGE difference! I don't know how I did it before.... This was a very good purchase and the price was good, too. I got the iPad Mini 2 32gb for $150.
2016-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules