500ft and......
1638 17 2016-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

United States

So yesterday I was messing with the drone and figured "let's see how high we can go" so I take off and head up.... and I get to about 500ft and blooop, "rc signal lost, disconnects and is a black and white screen". i could still hear it a little bit and I could hear that when I hit the throttle it would change tones, so therefore I knew it still was communicating with the controller... but what would have caused it to just randomly compeltely give up ? Usually when it experiences communication problems it will sit idle(the app) and try to reconnect... or atleast just flash saying its got bad connection and stay connected.....

I had to disconnect the wifi from my phone and re connect to the controller to get the unit to display video again... this was kind of nerve racking to disconnect 100% and re connect while it was 500ft in the sky....
2016-5-23
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you fly straight upwards above the controller, that is always going to provide the trickiest angle to keep a strong signal as there's no way to have the antenna of the controller parallel with the antennas in the Phantom.
2016-5-23
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2016-5-23
Use props
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

United States

Even with FPVLR circular polarized antennas? But this makes sense.... DERP gosh I am having a rough couple days lol
2016-5-23
Use props
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

United States

titanflyers55@g Posted at 2016-5-23 09:12
Did you update the firmware to 1.6.80???? then this is common issue and you are in same boat bro...

Na broooo. I updated to 1.6.8 out of the box... It's not the FW that is the issue. It was bad antenna placement. I went back down to 1.5.7 and my drone flew like complete garbage... 1.6.8 makes my drone fly 10000% better
2016-5-23
Use props
Beto NYC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 550472 ft
United States

titanflyers55@g Posted at 2016-5-23 12:21
I tried everything with 1.6.8 bro. I can not get pass 40-50m like lot of other people.. and I have n ...

beginner mode?
2016-5-23
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

I have the P3A and been having random signal lost as well as the video recording stopping randomly. The video from the SD shows corruption before it stop's or the video cannot even be played. This was going on randomly for the past few flights with some flights showing no issues.

I might have fixed it by doing the following: formatting the SD card, and deleting and reinstalling the DJI Go App, and rebooting my iPad. Since then, about 7 flight the issues have no returned.

I have iPad 2 Air with the latest patches/firmware on all everything.
2016-5-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did the best Antenna Practices video help at all?
2016-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I have nothing to add to the thread, but I just had to say this:
Bro! ;)
And good luck.. I have found that my antenna position DOES make a huge diff when flying straight up above me....
2016-5-23
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I discovered first hand 2 days ago that flying straight up, I had problems sending controls to the craft up at 120m. No matter how I adjusted the RC antennas, it would not budge. I could RTH and it would start to descend, then I could capture control of it. After over a year of using this thing, that's the only time I've had this kind of issue, and that video perfectly explains why.

As for distance problems in general, I didn't have any before the latest firmware updates, and now that I have updated my firmware ... I still have no problems. Like just about everyone else (10s of thousands of people world-wide), firmware did not reduce my distance. The number of people I've seen here blaming the firmware can be counted on less than the total number of fingers I possess.

So if you continue to blame the firmware for your distance problems, then complain until DJI releases a firmware resolution (which will likely never come), then you are not doing anything else to try and fix your distance issues. You know, just in case there is another reason for your distance problems. Just sayin', could be.
2016-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Actually a LOT of people believe the range changed, or the signal loss issue were noticed way more of then after the upgrade than before... The problem is, that many did not fly enough on the old firmware, or do not have good records to prove it.. But no, it's definitely more people saying it all over the place, than you may have fingers.. unless of course u r a horrible alien with way more fingers than any self respecting human would have ;)
2016-5-23
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

RE: 500ft and......

titanflyers55@g Posted at 2016-5-24 02:40
Hey bro.. If you can please go to Phantompliots forum.. there are so much people in that big forum ...

Yeah bro, I hang out on that forum too, bro. I still haven't read about a single DJI representative admit that there's a problem. I have read 2-3 of them deny that there is a problem, bro.

Chris
2016-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

Just because DJI does not admit it, does not prove nothing is happening.... if many users complain, that's more of an indicator that something is going on.. whether it's on purpose or a bug, that's another story.. But if a bug, the nature of bugs is that things happen intermittently.. so it is possible that something is happening and DJI cannot quite put their finger on it.
I just flew 7000ft one way, the last weekend though, so I think in my case I am less concerned about the signal issues now - unless we find out that something happened to make the signal management less forgiving to interference, so the range suffered more in populater areas where interference is higher...
Either way, many people seem to report, rightly or not, way more range issues after last firmware release.... Would be nice if it was definitely proven not to be the case....
2016-5-23
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-24 05:46
Just because DJI does not admit it, does not prove nothing is happening.... if many users complain,  ...

My signal lost issue happened equally in a radio conjested area (my front yard with all the routers nearby) and the middle of the forest preserve with no radio interference per the radio tab in the DJI Go App.
2016-5-23
Use props
Iiikabiii
lvl.1

United States

Im so glad i decided not to update to the newest firmware on my p3s
2016-5-23
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

I do have to say I am still not sure, the problem is I did not fly enough on old firware to be able to compare... That is why i wished I could downgrade, but that was not an option... so I will never know.... Other than "alleged" distance issues, i had no issue with the new firmware though.
2016-5-23
Use props
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

United States

Titan- DOWNGRADE YOUR FW BRO... right? If you are having such issues on 1.6.8 go back to 1.5.7? Its super easy!! Everyone having issues... If it is the FW why not go back to the working one? 1.5.7?

Phantomski- LOL @ original post of yours... BRO hahaha

My drone that I purchased 5/5/2016 and I it was a new shipment into the store I got it from, got in 3 days before. ( I know the warehouse manager blah blah) So I don't know if its the older models that are having issues with the new FW... but mine is amazing on 1.6.8 and won't be going down to 1.5.7 again due to it causing the bird to fly like shhhhhhhh********
2016-5-24
Use props
MTR-Aerial
lvl.2

United States

Mine downgraded fine... and then flew.... just choppier... I have read on here... guys going back to 1.5.7 via sd card and their drone flying decent again
2016-5-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules