How important is using a phone for FPV?
1439 5 2015-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PeteUK
New

United Kingdom

Sorry about the newbie question here, but most of the examples I've seen of using the Vision has been with a phone for FPV flying.

I happen to be one of the few people who doesn't have an Apple or Android phone (I use a Windows Phone).

The question is, is my Android (v4.4) tablet good enough for FPV mode without needing a mobile signal?

I happen to go on holidays to some pretty out of the way places (Scotland most years, so no phone signal).  I read that the Ground Control is able to use cached Google maps for offline use, but just how useful is this?  Would it be possible to plot a route at my guest house and then fly that route when I get to location?  And if so, where is "home"?

Apologies if these are daft questions, I've taken a look at the ground station software and it's not exactly intuitive...

Many thanks, and looking forward to getting to grips with this quad and capturing footage of places I can't go....
2015-1-19
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Android tables work fine, don't even need data cell connection just WiFi. I too have wondered about setting ways points for a remote location but don't see how you can.
2015-1-19
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You do NOT need a mobile signal and in fact many people, myself included have a non-call connected device.  I use a Samsung Tab S tablet.

Regarding the map usefulness; it's personal preference I guess.  A map gives you the ability to plot to a location and without a map I can't imagine that GPS autonomous flight would be much use (aka, Ground Station).  As long as your device can connect to the internet though, maps can be downloaded and cached.

Using Ground Station as you mention, to plot a route at your guest house is very possible and home location is always where you take off from (assuming you allow the Phantom to properly connect to 6 or more GPS satellites).  Some software, the one I'm creating, will allow for home to be set either to your device's location (if it supports location) or, an addition I added to my app, a location by pointing on the map.  I felt the map point to set home might be good for people flying from boats, for example, allowing them to set a home point on dry land, a nearby beach head.  It would also be good if you are taking off from an unfriendly area for landing and want home to be set to a clearing nearby.  

Now go out and enjoy your Phantom!
2015-1-19
Use props
PeteUK
New

United Kingdom

Fantastic news, thanks guys..!  The quad should arrive tomorrow, but I plan on taking things fairly slow before really using it in anger in the summer.  Going to be a lot of manual reading and YouTube viewing, there's some great video tutorials out there.
2015-1-19
Use props
PeteUK
New

United Kingdom

Well, got it yesterday and managed to get some time to run some system checks and make sure that everything works (connected fine to my Andriod tablet)

I attempted a quick hover in my living room and how now earned my stripes (a nice red and black on on my thigh)

It's now safely packed away and awaiting more test flights at the local park, SHMBO compliance permitting of course....
2015-1-21
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

No waypoints indoors please.
2015-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now