Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Discharge/Charge battery
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TomWolves
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110577 ft

Good day all!, Do we need to "Charge/ Discharge" our Phantom 3 batteries every 20 charge/discharge cycles like we had to do with the phantom 2 vision plus? and if so could you tell me what page of the manual for the Phantom3 it says "Charge/Discharge the battery completely once every 20 charge/discharge cycles", I can't seem to find it in the manual. Saturday I fried my Wi-Fi module on my Phantom2 Vision Plus by doing what the instruction said " to drain the battery until 8%", wi-fi module over heated and now I have no camera view, only telemetry. At any rate thank you for your help.
2016-5-23
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I think your experience in frying your P2 wifi module tells you why the DJI docs no longer mentions discharging your batteries in the docs. What method did you use? I assume it was something more than just turning it on and letting the battery deplete.

Unofficially, if I remember right, it has been discussed on these boards to condition your batteries every so often by allowing them to deplete until they power off naturally, then fully charge them. There have been no discussions about quick discharging that I recall. Most comments suggested to run the battery down normally by using them in flight; then later at home, turning them on again to allow them to deplete the rest of the way until they just turn off.

I don't remember any discussions about a similar conditioning of the RC battery. In my experience, when I leave the RC powered on with everything else powered down, it will start beeping ~10 minutes later. This is a good thing as I have a few times put the RC away in my backpack after forgetting to power it off. So I don't know if there's a way to power up the RC and let it slowly discharge until it powers down, without the beeping, unless it entails having the AC powered up nearby as well.

Chris
2016-5-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The Phantom 3 batteries do have a similar discharge schedule, however, the DJI Go app will keep track of the battery's charges and will notify you when that specific battery is due for a complete discharge and recharge. Its very handy for those that use multiple batteries. I do not see which model of the Phantom 3 you have, but the latest model manuals do provide a Slow and Rapid methods of discharging the batteries. I supplied the link to the Phantom 3 Professional manual for reference, the info is on page 21.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _en_v1.8_160330.pdf

Most of the battery instructions have become a separate document, so that more detail can be provided on battery maintenance. Here are the general guideline for the LiPo batteries for basic storage and use. This goes more into depth into the recommended operating and storage temperatures:

http://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/p ... _Guidelines__en.pdf

2016-5-23
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-5-24 02:38
The Phantom 3 batteries do have a similar discharge schedule, however, the DJI Go app will keep trac ...

Hello DJI-Jamie, I have the Phantom3 Advanced, Thanks all for the information. I have v1.2 manual for my Phantom3 Advanced, guess I better download the new version.
2016-5-23
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer

DJI- Jamie I looked at the links you sent me and I don't see any place where it says to Charge/discharge battery every 20 cycles to 8%
Here is a snap shot from Phantom2 Vision Plus manual stating "Correct Battery Usage notes"

Correct Battery Usage

Correct Battery Usage

Is this what you were reffering too? as it doesn't say "after 20 cycles"

Phantom3 Advanced Battery discharging..JPG
Thank you!

2016-5-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

TomWolves Posted at 2016-5-24 03:25
DJI- Jamie I looked at the links you sent me and I don't see any place where it says to Charge/disch ...

It seems that they have removed those instructions for the Phantom 3 Batteries, but it is present in the Inspire 1 Battery Safety Guidelines which recommend a full discharge/recharge after 10 cycles.

The DJI Go app would keep track of your individual batteries' charges for you and let you know when a full discharge/recharge is needed. As a rule of thumb, I would follow the same schedule as the Inspire 1, as the Phantom 3 batteries have more properties in common with the Inspire 1 than the Phantom 2.
2016-5-24
Use props
TomWolves
Second Officer

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-5-25 00:47
It seems that they have removed those instructions for the Phantom 3 Batteries, but it is present  ...

Thank you Jamie, I have 17 flights on my Phantom3 Advanced and I have never had the app let me know of a battery discharge/recharge notice. I will wait until the app tells me.
2016-5-25
Use props
digdat0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11896378 ft

My favorite part of that battery guide ... "11) Do NOT put batteries in a microwave oven or in a pressurized containner"
2016-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

digdat0 Posted at 2016-5-26 13:29
My favorite part of that battery guide ... "11) Do NOT put batteries in a microwave oven or in a pre ...

Sometimes common sense is not so common.

2016-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules