10331 53 2016-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-27 08:50
Right, so as long as the VPS is on, it does not care how high it is, and will try to determine the ...

If you are having no issues with it they you may be fine. BUT if the day ever comes if it comes down hard and breaks your Phantom, the first question is if you did any modifications to it. And it will not be a warranty repair.
2016-5-26
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Ok, good to know... but I assume if it just drops out of the sky, you guys would do what is necessary to actually figure out why, before you deem it was an attachment issue? Anyhow, i do appreciate the info.
2016-5-26
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

Old Geezer Posted at 2016-5-27 00:37
Well, with a P3 - once you are above 3 metres above ground level the VPS is irrelevant anyway, so  ...

I took a good look at my P3 and it does not appear that a gimbal guard would interfere with the VPS sensors. Anyway, I have the VPS turned off as I do not fly that low so how could DJI know if a gimbal guard was or was not on the drone?
2016-5-26
Use props
bengalboy69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

A gimbal guard on the Phantom 4 will affect its performance at all altitudes. At 300 feet, mine would Yo-Yo... It will also affect the performance of the "Smart Features", the tracking feature would never work for me.  On the occasion I would get a "lock" on the target, soon after, I would get an error message telling me the "altitude to low" to track the subject.  Did not matter I was 30 feet in the air.  Now, I realize the VPS misread the gimbal guard as the ground and always thought it was too close to work.  Anyway, here is my video test of the gimbal guard causing the altitude Yo-Yo effect.  At least for my bird,, this is the issue and DJI is wise to notify Pilots not to use one with a Phantom 4.  

2016-5-26
Use props
thanostc
lvl.2
Greece

Hi !! Will landing gear extenders cause any problem?
LANDING GEAR.jpg
2016-5-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

bengalboy69@gma Posted at 2016-5-27 10:34
A gimbal guard on the Phantom 4 will affect its performance at all altitudes. At 300 feet, mine woul ...

Thanks for posting, and yes as I'm trying to explain to others, it will affect the aircraft at any altitude.
If you use a gimbal guard, use at your own risk.
2016-5-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

thanostc Posted at 2016-5-27 16:26
Hi !! Will landing gear extenders cause any problem?

Since those are protruding outside of the legs, I wouldn't think they would cause an issue. If you have smooth auto landings and your flights do not seem to be affected they it's probably ok. BUT, if you were to have a very hard landing and it wasn't your fault then the extensions would be to blame.
2016-5-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-27 07:55
Since those are protruding outside of the legs, I wouldn't think they would cause an issue. If you ...

You know guys, since you do not like "other attachments", I would suggest that you guys would at least work out some easily removable landing gear extension... The reason I got mine, is because when initializing the P3 in the grass, or sandy/rocky surface, I see the camera sometimes touch things during initialization... I am sure DJI could do a good job creating something like the one mentioned here. The reason it has to be removable, is because most backpack will not take it. Anyhow, elevating the quad slightly seems like it would work well for many. Not sure if P4 has the same issue, or if u guys made the camera be a bit shorter....
I would certainly say that a raiser for the gear and some kind of protection for the gimbal not to fall off, in case of a rough landing, would be the most common things people would want to add, if they were made by you and "clear for use"....
2016-5-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-27 23:37
You know guys, since you do not like "other attachments", I would suggest that you guys would at l ...

That's why people use a landing pad or the box/backpack when taking off from dirt or tall grass.
The Phantom is the Phantom and the length of the legs easily clear the ground. If you need to take of from tall grass then it's up to you to create a takeoff pad.
2016-5-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-27 09:49
That's why people use a landing pad or the box/backpack when taking off from dirt or tall grass.
T ...

Or hand launch... The only reason I do not do it often, because from other quads I have learned that during initialization it really should be left alone, no vibration or such... is that not the case with DJI? Or do i power on on surface, then I can pick it up and launch?
2016-5-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-28 03:31
Or hand launch... The only reason I do not do it often, because from other quads I have learned th ...

Yes, the aircraft needs to be on the ground during initialization process. We cannot recommend a hand launch.
2016-5-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-5-27 13:46
Yes, the aircraft needs to be on the ground during initialization process. We cannot recommend a h ...

ok, thx. Haha, it's funny with you guys "cannot recommend", but I understand why ;) At least you are not saying "no comment, wink, wink"
2016-5-27
Use props
myserv
New

unacceptable reason as after i upgrade the firmware my drone crash with the gimbal protector. This was ok before i upgrade the firmware. DJI need to be responsible for this issue. I will report this issue to the international consumer.
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

myserv Posted at 2016-6-24 17:35
unacceptable reason as after i upgrade the firmware my drone crash with the gimbal protector. This w ...

Regardless of which firmware you're running, using a third part gimbal protector would have caused the same problem. I'm sorry for your crash.
2016-6-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules