Using the new SRW-60G with Ronin M
3017 13 2016-5-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hanski
lvl.1
Flight distance : 53619 ft
Finland

Will it be possible to use the new SRW-60G (short range HD video transmitter) with Ronin M?
Plan is to use Ronin M on a drone which would have also the new A3 Pro and Lightbridge 2 (later also the D-RTK GNSS with ground station).
Or is the SRW-60G usable only with Ronin MX?

2016-5-24
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

The ronin mx will perform better in the air due to it's GPS system, the other gimbals suffers from G forces, the sensors freak out so they drop accuaricy by a lot (horizon goes off) Freefly movi had Gps since the beggining, Dji have it now in the Ronin MX, and i think the A3 works best with the MX
2016-5-24
Use props
Hanski
lvl.1
Finland

I understand thet A3 works best with MX, but my concern is that will the SRW-60G work at all with Ronin M.
I allready have the Ronin M and would not want to buy MX just for copter use.
Also noted that Ronin MX is heavier than Ronin M...
2016-5-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Hanski Posted at 2016-5-25 19:31
I understand thet A3 works best with MX, but my concern is that will the SRW-60G work at all with Ro ...

The SRW-60G is only compatible with the Ronin MX, it cannot be used with the Ronin or Ronin M.
2016-5-25
Use props
valealvarez.s96
lvl.3
Argentina

Hanski Posted at 2016-5-25 19:31
I understand thet A3 works best with MX, but my concern is that will the SRW-60G work at all with Ro ...

The MX has an A3 plug so it can communicate to the aircraft, the roninM is on its own in terms of put in it on the air
2016-5-25
Use props
Hanski
lvl.1
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-5-25 22:40
The SRW-60G is only compatible with the Ronin MX, it cannot be used with the Ronin or Ronin M.

Why?
What would Ronin M need to get the video feed from the camera to the Lightbridge 2?

I'm currently thinking to buy the A3 and Lightbridge 2 combo, but I'd rather use my existing Ronin M because its over 600 grams lighter than MX version.
2016-5-26
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Hanski Posted at 2016-5-26 19:52
Why?
What would Ronin M need to get the video feed from the camera to the Lightbridge 2?

Unfortunately, there is no additional information provided in regards to the SRW60's compatibility with the Ronin or the Ronin M at this time. Further confirmation may be available when this transmitter is more readily available for the confirmed M600/Ronin MX combination.

Regardless, the Roinin MX is the only one in the Ronin series that is compatible with the M600 based on the connections, stability and overall balance. The Ronin M does not have the needed vibration dampeners needed in order to reduce jello effects, nor are the servos able to withstand extensive wind resistance that would occur during flight. While the Ronin M does have the same connections as the Ronin MX, they are not in the same positions that would allow full range of motion when placed on the M600.
2016-5-31
Use props
Hanski
lvl.1
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-5-31 20:55
Unfortunately, there is no additional information provided in regards to the SRW60's compatibility ...

Sorry to say, but I do not care about M600; I'm not going to invest in it.
As an independent video producer/solopreneur, I do not like the idea of having to invest in new equipment every year. In one mans's company there is no need for two camera gimbals, only one, which can be used in both hand held and aerial shooting is the optimal solution.
So far I have had excellent results with Ronin-M under my existing multicopter (including its owns vibration dampening). I sincerely hope that there will be somekind of update available for Ronin-M, which enables the use of SRW-60G (together with Lightbridge 2 and A3 PRo systems), in near future, otherwise I have to reconsider my plans to upgrade the 4-year old Wookong system with LB2/A3Pro combination.
2016-6-3
Use props
CruxisX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2146 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Hanksi,

I had the same question while I was at NAB, I had a chance to speak to DJI and it looks like the SRW-60G will be mountable on the Ronin-M. So in theory, you could install it on your Ronin-M and use it as a short range transmitter for both handheld and aerial use. (That's assuming it will become legal for aerial use) However, because of it's design, it will not fit on the Ronin, unless you intend to do some modification.

I am not very familiar with the A3 flight controller, but if it's anything like what I saw at NAB, there is a good chance it will work with the A3/LB combo. The only downfall is that you don't get the super nice interface like you would with the Ronin-MX setup. I personally think it's worth the upgrade but it's up to the user.
2016-6-8
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>

While I appreciate your concerns, how are you going to mount a Ronin M to a copter?  That is the reason for the MX it is both copter and handheld compatible.  The M is not.  
2016-6-8
Use props
Hanski
lvl.1
Finland

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2016-6-9 05:11
While I appreciate your concerns, how are you going to mount a Ronin M to a copter?  That is the rea ...

I have been using the Ronin M with my CS8 from september 2015 and with great results. I had an adapter made, so it is really easy to mount and dismount (similar to this: http://www.smallrig.com/SMALLRIG ... ount-mini-1682.html).
There is no electrical connections between the copter and gimbal, they work independently. Ronin M remote control is used by the camera operator and pilot is controlling the copter. To save weight I use P-Tap connection to supply power for the camera and video transmitter.
2016-6-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Hanski Posted at 2016-6-16 14:52
I have been using the Ronin M with my CS8 from september 2015 and with great results. I had an ada ...

They have released the manual for the SRW-60G.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... _Manual_v1.0_en.pdf

It does mention that it can be used with the Ronin and the Ronin M for other forms of FPV, however, it does not specify that it can be used with the A3/M600 in the same fashion as the Ronin MX. Using a Ronin M with an A3/LB2 combination would not guarantee the same functionality as the Ronin MX does with the M600.
2016-6-16
Use props
Hanski
lvl.1
Finland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-6-16 19:16
They have released the manual for the SRW-60G.

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ronin-mx/en/SRW-60 ...

Thanks for the info and the link DJI-Jamie.
While the manual does not give any information on functional support for Ronin M, this surely does not mean that there would not be any? That would be quite discouraging for the existing owners...

2016-6-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Hanski Posted at 2016-6-18 05:13
Thanks for the info and the link DJI-Jamie.
While the manual does not give any information on funct ...

Page 7 did mention that this transmitter in general can be used with the Ronin M:

Ronin M use.JPG

In regards to combining the Ronin M with the LB2/A3 combination, it would just have to be something that would take a chance at your discretion.
2016-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules