Which fly mode is "safest" and what i do wrong
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
klemen.nemivsek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 563189 ft
Slovenia

First question , which is the safest mode to fly if you fly to far away. For now i fly only in P-mode. Im beginer with dji products.

Because something scary happend to me today xD… i fly in P-mode , so i calibrate gps before each fly but i forget how many satelites i must have before to fly safe. I think i have only 7, ( in my country i dont have many satelites i thing max i have 9 ).. So what i wanna say is that i suddenly lost my remote controll signal ( around 400m away) and i have no picture , but in this case if i have right , the drone if lose signal needs to return home, but it wasnt :S so i look in the sky where is my drone, drone drift away with wind… i walk toward my drone , i see just a little dote in the sky . I was thinking if i get close to my drone agan i will get signal back , but it didnt happend, so i manually fly my drone back to me .. Why wasnt my drone return to home ? maybe to weak gps signal? And why i dont get back rc signal when i get back close to my drone?

I need some tips , that this will not happend to me again.

p.s- not the best english

2016-5-25
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

What aircraft?
U cannot calibrate gps, u can calibrate gimbal, radio, imu and compass.
If you watch in the camera, P mode is just fine, if u fly by eye, then there are some advanced fly modes that can do well, helping to eliminate orientation issues.
I fly my p3Adv in P mode 99% of the time.. sometimes in ATTI mode.. I played with advance modes, but do not anymore... they confuse me a bit too much - my hands are used to flying in the most standard mode.
In P mode, on my P3, i set to RTH when signal is lost, and it does come back just fine, I also have "Smart RTH" enabled...  There were times when I selected "Hover" on signal loss, but the drifting part worries me...
You might want to get yourself a free account on healthydrones.com and upload the logs, then share them, so we can see the logs? I wonder if you have GPS issues. Is the drone very stable when near you, or does it also drift? It6 really should not drift, unless you are in really strong wind (which may be if you fly high).

GT
2016-5-25
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

United States

Just like phantomski said, P-mode is perfetly fine. Some will suggest calibrating the compass before each flight and others will say only re calibrate it if you drive something like 200 miles away from the last time or your values arent in the correct range. 1400-1600 if im correct.

In your case of lost video, losing video is completely different from losing RC connection. If you have the A or P models the light on the remote will either be green or red(green connected to the AC and red meaning is has lost signal) If it turns red then yes the AC should automatically put its self into RTH. If you lose signal it could just be enough interference to cause the video to cut out but the RC is still talking to the AC. Just make sure you read the manual front to back until you almost have it memorized, then watch hours of videos, then take it into a large open field and test every feature. Its very important to eventually learn how to fly in ATTI mode(This disables the GPS function) BE WARNED: it will drift in the wind and will not auto brake its self like in P mode.
2016-5-25
Use props
klemen.nemivsek
lvl.2
Slovenia

Thank you for all this tips.

Here is the link i hope i get information what goes wrong here :S
This is first part
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=nkvEga
and then i lost my connection

and here i found my drone again i walk to him , that i see him again and manually controll him to home
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=aWXjpl

ps.

2016-5-25
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

klemen.nemivsek Posted at 2016-5-25 23:40
Thank you for all this tips.

Here is the link i hope i get information what goes wrong here :S

OK. After looking at your logs here are the conclusions.

1) You were not fartherr than 370 meters away from your take-off point.
2) You NEVER lost contact with your P3S during this time: the Remote Control was in contact with your aircraft all the time, without exception. That is the reason why the automatic RTH (return to home) did not start because your connection was NOT lost ever.
3) You indeed have only between 6 and 10 satellites available which is not very much and can explain the drifting that you saw happening. Satellites are not available per country though. At any point in time everywhere in the world you should have sufficient satellites to have good positioning.
Where there any obstacles in the neighborhood that could diminish satellite reception like trees or buildings ?

So your AC performed normally and what happened was that you lost your videosignal which is happening a lot morre with the P3S (WIFI) then with the other Phantoms (Lightbridge). Probably you thought that you lost control of your aircraft, which was NOT the case, expected that it would return to home automatically, which it didn't because it had still contact with your RC and you were confused about what to do.

Next time, just push the RTH button and you will get your AC back safely.
2016-5-25
Use props
klemen.nemivsek
lvl.2
Slovenia

Thank you for this explanation !

So i see that my gps was in every flight so far pointed as " poor gps signal " but that mean that its not safe to fly on gps mode in my country ? Slovenia (europe)
I ordered argtek antenas maybe wifi signal will be a little bit better now.

Thank you again!
2016-5-25
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

klemen.nemivsek Posted at 2016-5-26 00:19

So i see that my gps was in every flight so far pointed as " poor  ...

Don't want to disappoint you but the Argtek or other antennas will not change  anything to the satellite reception. The GPS antenna is inside the drone and the antennas for the RC and video connection are in the legs of your phantom.
Having new antennas on your RC might (or might not: many of these antennas do not do anything to improve the range, sometimes the opposite ven, they decrease the range) maybe increase your range a bit but will not change your GPS reception.
Again, everywhere in the world there should be enough GPS satellites avialable 99 % of the time, so try at another time again, in open field and wait until the green GPS-bar appears on top of your DJI-GO screen. Sometimes this will take minutes before it shows up.
One more thing: allways try to start your flight with a fully loaded battery.
2016-5-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

klemen.nemivsek Posted at 2016-5-26 08:19

So i see that my gps was in every flight so far pointed as " poor  ...

It is hard to tell from the HealthyDrones shot, but are you in a very mountainous area? It looked like that to me.

If so, that will account for your low satellite count, as the satellites close to the horizon would not be seen, only the ones overhead. In any event, the drifting probably was due to upper air currents.

2016-5-25
Use props
Gabe R
lvl.4

PhanFran Posted at 2016-5-26 06:01
OK. After looking at your logs here are the conclusions.

1) You were not fartherr than 370 meters ...

And to add something small. Dont just push the RTH button, you need to push and HOLD IT DOWN until it beeps meaning it has activated. You will hold it down approx the same amount of time that you hold your power down to turn on the RC
2016-5-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules