Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo on Facebook Live not ready for more than novelty use
2083 5 2016-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alan.zapata
lvl.1

United States

I played with the Osmo today and tried streaming to facebook. It is a great feature in concept, but the implementaion is lacking a lot unfortunately. First all encoding seems to happen on the phone, which means a drasticly short battery life (some streaming apps that encode on the phone will burn through an entire phone battery in 30 minutes and make the phone so hot it gets hard to hold comfortably). The app also needs to connect to the Osmo on a closed WiFi network which means all data streamed to Facebook has to use your celluar connection. That isn't good for a number of reasons.
The bandwidth for streaming needs to be both fairly large (my general suggestion is 2Mbps minimum for anything you want to world to see) and it needs to be very stable or there will drop outs, freezes etc and celluar does not cut it in either case. Cell service fluctuates massively simply standing still so add in the motion of the Osmo and it will be horrible. Even on LTE, 1.5Mbps is a stretch to maintain for any legnth of time, again due to fluctuations in the cell signal.

Another reason for it not being good is it will cost a fortune for data usage on your phone. If you aren't on an unlimited plan, streaming video will chew up massive amounts of data leaving a huge bill. If you are on an unlimited plan they will throttle you pretty quickly since the video data is so bandwidth hungy.

Even when setting the camera to the lowest setting 720p 24f there were major drops and freezes in a location showing all bars for cell service. It will of course vary depending on where you are but it will also depend on time of day, other cell users that are around, where you are standing, etc so it would unreliable to the point of uselessness.

The only viable solution, and one I had hoped they would have thought of before releasing this patch, is to have the Osmo be able to connect to another wireless network. I have a balanced 1Gb line where I work with a beam forming 11 AC WiFi router which is incredible for live streaming. With multiple high bandwidth radios in it, it would be able to connect to the iphone and Osmo at maximum speed without any restrictions.
2016-5-27
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Thanks for your feedback.
Our engineers will review your suggestions.  
2016-5-30
Use props
kevinlyver
New

Canada

100% agree - Due to poor performance, Osmo and FB live will get no use from me.  It's cool that you can do it, and that mean it may get better, however there may be too many things out of DJI's control to make this a great feature.
2016-5-30
Use props
schorschTHEgerm
New

United Kingdom

Same here... Tested vodafone, telekom and o2 in germany, bandwith seems to be no matter. LTE, 3G, still choppy videos on facebook... Also tested IPhones 4 through 6, sadly still no difference... are there any news on the GO app for android devices?
2016-6-7
Use props
USUAVMedia
lvl.1

United States

Periscope broadcasting from the Osmo works great.  Plugged my RODE mic into my phone and the sound was great.  Facebook video is too choppy, but Periscope is clean.  
2016-6-7
Use props
alan.zapata
lvl.1

United States

USUAVMedia Posted at 2016-6-7 19:44
Periscope broadcasting from the Osmo works great.  Plugged my RODE mic into my phone and the sound w ...

How are you setting up streaming through Periscope?
2016-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules