The DJI Osmo Wobble
3887 15 2016-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

The Osmo is made to "re-imagine movement," and it does very well at stabilizing movement caused by operator. Unfortunately, it continues to imagine movement while it's stabilized to a tripod.

You may not notice the gimbal moving at normal speed, but sped up, it's undeniable.I've also tried with "lock orientation" enabled and same issue.

Anyone else have this issue or just me? DJI support is telling me to send mine in for repairs.

2016-5-27
Use props
rodAndTheCat
Second Officer

New Zealand

No not just you I'm afraid. DJI have proved incapable of producing The Osmo to perform as advertised. True , there are some out there that seem to work perfectly but my own experience and that of many users here, is that the osmo has a drift issue that up to now has not been resolved with software or firmware, although the wobble you show is something new to meand you actually drift very little.

I think it is a clever piece of kit and believe that DJI ought to drop the claims of stability on fixed axis until they can make it happen on all OSMO units, not just a few.  Then we would at least know that we had something that performed as advertised.  Shame really, as it is without doubt a very useful tool.
Rod and the cat
2016-5-27
Use props
Burlbark
lvl.2

Does yours do this.....? I have had 3 of them now do this.

2016-5-27
Use props
davidcwong888
lvl.2

Canada

Wow...  Your test was indoor and it looks worse than mine...

This is mine...

DJI OSMO Time Lapse Issue - FROM DJI FORUM  

http://forum.dji.com/thread-52035-1-1.html via
2016-5-28
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi all,
This issue has been discussed among us.
We'll try to improve it in the future.

If you have any suggestion, please let me know anytime.

Thanks for your concern.
2016-5-29
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-30 14:19
Hi all,

Thanks Adela. I suggest a DJI Go App feature which deactivates the gimbal motors or improve the gimbal so that it doesn't move while stabilized to a tripod. Do a before and after video comparison to ensure it fixes the issue. Thanks
2016-5-31
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-5-30 01:19
Hi all,

Hi DJI-Adela, when can we expect news on the status of this fix? Is this something I can speak to the Osmo product manager about and maybe help be a beta tester?
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

jeffmoltenberry Posted at 2016-6-8 04:34
Hi DJI-Adela, when can we expect news on the status of this fix? Is this something I can speak to  ...

Hello, jeffmoltenberry
I'm sorry I haven't gotten any news about it yet, so I can't tell you a timeline about it.
If we make any headway, we'll be delighted to share.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-7
Use props
zhiwei.he
lvl.1

Hong Kong

I am afraid you've applied OSMO to the wrong use.

It is a sport camera and it is best used in a dynamic shooting environment. So that the gimbal stabilizes the image.

However, if you want to shoot in a still manner with a tripod. Why not do it with your iphone or cameras. You need the camera to sit like a piece of rock.

Clearly the gimbal is not design for this task since it adjust itself all the time. Not to mention you speed up the video.  
2016-6-8
Use props
tino0
lvl.2

Croatia

zhiwei.he@outlo Posted at 2016-6-8 12:57

It is a sport camera and it is best used in a dy ...

I agree. Just looking to buy one and checking reported issues. Owned DJI products. You have to understand some impractical limitations in this stuff
2016-6-8
Use props
Dave A
lvl.2
United States

zhiwei.he@outlo Posted at 2016-6-8 06:57

It is a sport camera and it is best used in a dy ...

what happens if you want to shoot a time-lapse like DJI advertises the Osmo to do? There is even a built in intervalometer that allows the user to shoot a time-lapse through the DJI app. Which would make one think it's a function that should be able to be utilized.

The user is not using Osmo wrong. The Osmo is not working. Read more carefully next time.
2016-6-9
Use props
zhiwei.he
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Dave A Posted at 2016-6-9 19:25
what happens if you want to shoot a time-lapse like DJI advertises the Osmo to do? There is even a ...

I read about Jeff's problem carefully. I owned an OSMO and I had the SAME experience using timelapse on OSMO. I knew about the problem myself so I decided to talk about why.
When you want to have a perfect TL. You want your camera STEADY STILL like a piece of rock.
OSMO works against movements. It's clearly not its advantage to do a timelapse.
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

zhiwei.he@outlo Posted at 2016-6-12 11:26
I read about Jeff's problem carefully. I owned an OSMO and I had the SAME experience using timelap ...

Thanks for your understanding!
2016-6-11
Use props
sspro
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-12 15:39

It is definitely possible to achieve a rock steady timelapse with brushless gimbals. Just check out FreeFly and the new firmware they just released, Akira.

Also the timelaspse feature is clearly advertised on the DJI site.

"CAPTURE TIME

Osmo helps you record the passage of time more easily than ever. Whether standing still for a stationary timelapse, or moving through your world for a hyperlapse, you can create smooth videos automatically and easily without a tripod."

When will the wobble, drift and orientation lock be fixed so we can actually use the OSMO for a timelapse as advertised?
2016-8-3
Use props
lancegriggs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 448327 ft

Mine has been great.
2016-8-3
Use props
sspro
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-12 15:39

SOLUTION: One way to correct these problems would be to require that the phone is mounted to the OSMO for timelapse mode then use the GPS info and compass bearing provided by the PHONE to reference in conjunction with the onboard OSMO compass and sensors.

NO ADDITIONAL HARDWARE REQUIRED. BOOM.
2016-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules