Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
An Encounter With an Anti-FPV Citizen
12Next >
3234 54 2016-5-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dkruseski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 791184 ft
United States

Kids handled it well.

2016-5-27
Use props
zarknoid
lvl.1

United States

She clearly has no knowledge of FAA regulations. As long as you fly a safe distance from people, And stay below 400 feet, you are legal.
2016-5-27
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I have had people claim that I was breaking some law when flying in a public place and when I countered, they always back down and admit that they're just annoyed at them. They can never give a good reason for it. This one came down to just noise, yes? But it's not that loud. And "I just can't have this" doesn't cut it. She has no reasonable expectation of no noise wherever she goes in public.

"It's completely annoying". Tough.

"What you want is not what I'm going to want. I want you to quit flying here." Tough.

I was flying in a park a couple of weeks ago and a TV news crew came up and politely asked me to quit and I did, because that's understandable. They had a segment to shoot and noise was being picked up by their sensitive microphone. It's all about being reasonable.
But just bing annoyed is not reasonable. Telling you that you just can't fly there is not reasonable.

So now you have to make noise for only 30 seconds, then be out of her hearing range? That's not acceptable.

2016-5-27
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

Really hard to hear due to the wind....but she just sounds like an anti-drone person who thinks her rights Trump yours.
2016-5-27
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 72867 ft
United States

Just got my bird and took it up for it's first photo shoot of a home.  Some jerkwads came out of a house that I was parked in front of saying I flew over their house and that's illegal.  I admitted I did, as I had to fly further way from the home to get a different (higher) perspective.  They were cussing, angry, and bitching the whole time.  Wanting to see what I took pictures of etc...  I explained everything about how I was hired to do photos and they didn't care.  They just didn't like the fact my bird was above their property..period.  Even though it was around 150 feet.
Next thing is they claim to call the cops, and I should land the bird immediately.  As I brought it in to land, the gentleman got close to it.  After landing he picked it up and moved onto his property.  I asked for it back and he said he'll do that when the cops show up.  Immediately I said I'll look forward waiting for the cops, because you just stole private property (theft).  A little back and forth and the wife eventually made him give it back and I packed up and left.

Not the best first experience, and was worried that I'd run into this a lot.  People are paranoid.  
2016-5-27
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.4
United States

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-28 10:34
Just got my bird and took it up for it's first photo shoot of a home.  Some jerkwads came out of a h ...

What a huge Richard Cranium. Should have told him you'll fly it up his ass, take a look for his brain.

2016-5-27
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Wait, is that what-ya-call-it thing, i am sure it's illegal! U better stop it mister and get the hell of my front lawn! I mean being over my front lawn!
People will always have their opinions... ;)
2016-5-27
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
Flight distance : 790082 ft

A Boulder resident?! What location are you flying at? I'm flying over here in Louisville and finding airspace that is not within 5 miles of an airport is pretty hard to come by. Bright side is over here in Louisville people are more amazed instead of pissed off
2016-5-27
Use props
motoscoddie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 702 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Whenever I get the inevitable ignorant comments, I explain that there are people wandering about with mobile phones and taking pictures/selfies, but that's not bothering them. I then ask why is it that if I use my drone to take pictures, it becomes all sinister and spying or "illegal"? I often point to a hill or a nearby building and say, I could be up there with a telephoto lens taking close-up photos and no one would take any notice nor care. I think it is like when mobile phones first started appearing (30-odd years ago), everyone who didn't have one would call the users "w*nkers" and make really snide comments about them. Same thing is happening with drones. Just because they are new and different, people will always carry on like morons because the world is populated by ignorant idiots.
It's our job to educate them. I usually offer to show them the video feed and that usually helps them to understand my drone does not have the same capabilities as the military ones they see on the news.
2016-5-27
Use props
rodger
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

They handled that well. Very polite young Gentlemen.
2016-5-28
Use props
Westside Osprey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-27 22:34
Just got my bird and took it up for it's first photo shoot of a home.  Some jerkwads came out of a h ...

OK so you do understand that if you were hired to do aerial photos/video you need a 333 exception and you need a FAA licensed pilot flying the UAV, and you need a safety outlook as well. To stay in the FAA rules.

Not only that but you have to be 500' away from any persons or property that is not part of the shoot and you have permission to fly over or near. And you need to file a NOTAM with the FAA 24 hrs prior to the commercial operation.

So technically the gentleman was correct you were breaking a lot of FAA rules, and you are open to prosecution.

Now if you were doing it as a hobby, not for compensation, then as long as you did not fly over any people you were OK.

These rules will hopefully change soon, but as it stands right now those are the UAV rules.
2016-5-28
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

Hmmm ... she said she was a lawyer - here in the UK, because of the implied threat that such a statement carries, I would have automatically asked to see her court ID and license to practice.  

I would then also have pulled up the CAA regulations on my tablet or phone from their website (tempted to cache them on there for future use).  Then after that I would have asked her to show me the property deeds in her name for the land over which I was flying and to provide documentary evidence of any local bylaws prohibiting drone flying in that (public) space.  

I would be sure to show her the relevant webpages for no-fly zones, especially NOTAMS pages, for that locale to prove I was not directly contravening civil or military flying restrictions.  If I felt it necessary I would also replay the video footage and DJI Go app flight path to demonstrate WHERE I'd flown.  

If all of that did not satisfy her, then I'd simply point out that in my opinion she was being territorially selfish and unreasonable and that we no longer live in feudal or mediaeval societies where the privileged wealthy can dictate to the working class.

As a very final last resort, I'd point out to her that her perfume was irritating my sinuses and affecting my health, and could she stand 10 yards downwind of me.

But that's just me of course.  You guys handled it a lot better than I would have done.

Grumpy old Geezer ;)
2016-5-28
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

Westside Osprey Posted at 2016-5-28 21:05
OK so you do understand that if you were hired to do aerial photos/video you need a 333 exception  ...

It hard as heck for someone TRYING to follow the law not to break it....even with all the requirements met   It goes far beyond what you've posted....and we're talking about little toys.....not 20,000lb, 300knot aircraft here.

What's broken is the F'n government.   It won't stop until there's a bureacrat assigned to every houshold and every person....and then they'll mandate multiple bureacrats for each ad nauseum.   Like Cuba, Venezuela is becoming and North Korea.
Creativity and freedom are in peril.
2016-5-28
Use props
FAS1
Second Officer

United States

FAA attorney my ass. At the very end she said taking pics of a house for sale is perfectly fine.
2016-5-28
Use props
My V. Nguyen
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38537 ft

Everyone, who has flown a drone, has encountered someone who claims that flying a drone is "illegal". Yeah, these same people believe that carrying a concealed weapon, texting and talking on the cell phone while driving, drinking and smoking in large public places, not wearing seat belt etc. are perfectly legal. Why? Because these things are so common that nobody bothers to pay attention.

The real issue is the ignorance of the general public and the misleading negative publicity by the American Media toward a mostly Chinese electronic gadgets. Apple doesn't make these drones, really. In other cases, if a police officer comes to inquire about your drone, he is doing his job checking that all papers are carried by the drone owner. Show him your FAA UAV certificate. If a police officer stops you in traffic, the first thing he will ask is your driver license, your car registration, and proof of insurance. Unless you are  doing anything wrong as stated by the FAA, you can fly the drone over the Sky anywhere under 400 feet.
2016-5-28
Use props
185EZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

She thinks your drone is annoying?
Her 8 minutes of whining was more annoying along with her man laugh
By the look of the landscape I don't see why there was a problem
2016-5-28
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

My V. Nguyen Posted at 2016-5-28 23:52
Everyone, who has flown a drone, has encountered someone who claims that flying a drone is "illegal" ...

Hmmm.....not "everyone".
2016-5-28
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
United States

My V. Nguyen Posted at 2016-5-28 23:52
Everyone, who has flown a drone, has encountered someone who claims that flying a drone is "illegal" ...

"and the misleading negative publicity by the American Media toward a mostly Chinese electronic gadgets."

This has nothing to do with the "American Media". Drone stories come from all over the world, such as the recent mishaps near Heathrow as reported by the BBC and other worldwide news organizations.

Nor is there some sort of weird negative American bias toward Chinese gadgets. We're a large consumer of them. I very much doubt that this woman was aware of or cared where the drone was manufactured.

Chris

2016-5-28
Use props
185EZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-5-28 11:57
Hmmm.....not "everyone".

Me too. I get more people that are curious or tell me to get some good video.
I even had one lady say her husband has always wanted one. When I showed them the video I just took they said they were sold.
2016-5-28
Use props
MTR-Aerial
lvl.1

United States

What a joke.
2016-5-28
Use props
SimplePanda
First Officer
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>

RE: An Encounter With an Anti-FPV Citizen

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-5-28 22:19
It hard as heck for someone TRYING to follow the law not to break it....even with all the requireme ...

It's seems far more likely that the rapidly expanding Idiocracy within the United States of America (and in North America in general; Canada has it's fair share of Republican-esque cluelessness as well) is what is really putting "creativity and freedom" in peril.

Far more likely than an imagined expansion of "the government bureaucracy", at least...

This video (and many like it) are part of an ever increasing body of evidence to that fact.

2016-5-28
Use props
buggysharp
lvl.1

United States

So far with 400 hours of flying I've only had three experiences where someone took an issue with my flying. Twice I wasn't even flying but just walking to where I was going to fly. Luckily I've never had anyone get unreasonable with me and all three times I've been able to show them some footage and one time it was while I was flying and was able to show them the live feed.

The only one that continued to take issue with me kept thinking that I was using it to film inside of houses while people were inside. For some reason she had just decided that I was a pervert and didn't want to talk to me anymore and at that point I happily walked away.
2016-5-29
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

This woman clearly has a problem. If she is a lawyer, which I doubt, she would check first on her smartphone by googling "faa drones" and the answer would quickly pop up. That's what us lawyers do. We are taught to research a question before we open our mouths. She was just trying to be a bully.

Also, if you have registered your drone, you can print out your drone registration card and carry it in your wallet. I carry one in my wallet. It has the registration number on it which is also taped to the top of my drone along with my phone number.

You should have flipped out your card for her. You can also make noise in parks. Kids run around yelling. People play music, people are allowed to rally and protest in public places. Public places are for all the public. Unless there is some local ordinance which you can also quickly Google on your smartphone while she is yapping, I would tell her to call the police and go about my business of happily flying my drone until someone in authority tells me otherwise.
2016-5-29
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

This woman clearly has a problem. If she is a lawyer, which I doubt, she would check first on her smartphone by googling "faa drones" and the answer would quickly pop up. That's what us lawyers do. We are taught to research a question before we open our mouths. She was just trying to be a bully.

Also, if you have registered your drone, you can print out your drone registration card and carry it in your wallet. I carry one in my wallet. It has the registration number on it which is also taped to the top of my drone along with my phone number.

You should have flipped out your card for her. You can also make noise in parks. Kids run around yelling. People play music, people are allowed to rally and protest in public places. Public places are for all the public. Unless there is some local ordinance which you can also quickly Google on your smartphone while she is yapping, I would tell her to call the police and go about my business of happily flying my drone until someone in authority tells me otherwise.
2016-5-29
Use props
stalked-buddha
Banned

Greece

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-30
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-28 10:34

You should have started it while he was walking off with it.    (just kidding) (sorta).

Barney
2016-5-30
Use props
Flight Raptor
First Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-5-30 14:35
You should have started it while he was walking off with it.    (just kidding) (sorta).

I thought the same thing :-)    (especially if he has carbon fiber reinforced props )
2016-5-31
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Well, i just had an encounter with a person from few streets away - because his wife is pissed off, because she likes to bathe in the backyard, topless... so clearly, I am flying there to watch her...  clearly.. Now, the guy could be reasoned with, but man, the lady kept screaming from her car.. I think she's going to get the neighbors together with the pitchforks, or she will just shoot the drone out of the sky.. the guy seemed to have grasped the idea that I am looking at an angle, so actually not looking at the place i am over, but he did still have hard time grasping the whole concept of the "air space" being not his property.. oh well, we will see if this is it, or if this one will create more stink.. I did invite the guy to come by anytime he has concerns, hopefully he will take it as a good thing, and will try to control his wife to a point... And no, the lady is not that much to look at, usually those are the ones... I guess if I do fly over the hood i just have to zoom over things, and hover over public streets more than over someone's house....  Not that I really do not understand some concerns, esp. in populated areas.. If I saw someone consistently hovering over my property I'd be concerned too, and try to make contact....
I do not like upset people, but clearly, they dislike perverts, so we are sort of even.... ;)
2016-6-6
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.4
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-6-7 11:57
Well, i just had an encounter with a person from few streets away - because his wife is pissed off,  ...

Pics or it didn't happen.
2016-6-6
Use props
walterm
lvl.1

United States

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-5-28 00:53
A Boulder resident?! What location are you flying at? I'm flying over here in Louisville and finding ...

MrPinaColada - off topic, I'm from Charleston Sc with relatives in Boulder.  Everytime we go out there we bring back spaghetti, links and meatballs from the Blue Parrot.  THE BEST!

On topic - I have had an advanced 3 for about a year and a half.  Live in a HOA neighborhood and have flown a lot around the neighborhood, most practicing with flight, intelligent mode, camera...ect.  I had one guy drive up and say his wife doesn't like the drone flying over the house, the have a pool and sometimes she...well you know.  I diffused the situation telling him I fly at least 200' until landing.  Showed him the video feed from the Iphone and said "see you can't really see anything".  Ha Ha, he had know idea the sd card has high res video and photos.

A month ago I got a letter from the HOA asking to not fly over homes.  I think the answer is to just be reasonable.  There is really no reason for me to fly my neighborhood anymore.  I have video and photos of about every house.  Again, I'm just practicing.
2016-6-7
Use props
walterm
lvl.1

United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-6-6 23:57
Well, i just had an encounter with a person from few streets away - because his wife is pissed off,  ...

That is the approach I am now taking.  Just be courteous and if you can don't fly over peoples houses you know are touchy.  I fly out the marsh and take sunset pictures.  I used to just go up 150' to clear the trees and fly the 1/2 mile.  I now go up to 350' while leaving the hood.  No issues.
2016-6-7
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

Well, seems like we are all getting it.. people will be  upset every so often, so minimizing flying over neighborhoods, especially flying low is the way to go.. People hear buzzing, and they assume u r spying, and many of them will never talk to you, just to others, and get more and more people upset... So yes, the answer is, be somewhat conscious where you fly. Now, I will still fly over my cul-de-sac to take pics of a sunset and lighting storms, or whatever, but that does not seem to create issues... all of my immediate neighbours actually show interest and do not mind as long as I do not hover by their windows....  which actually i do sometimes to freak them out - but that is to specific people that I know will come out in a sec and joke around....
Such issue swill be interesting to see evolve over next few years, as drones with better and better cameras become more and more popular. There will be a time when zoom lenses and IR and other technology will make "an every day drone" be actually way more dangerous for "spying" and then we may have more issues with citizens actually being concerned for the right reasons... Need to work on educating them now, so they understand that shooting your shotgun in the neighbourhood to defend yourself against the pesky spies, is really not an option ;)
BTW, I think that has never happened yet, meaning someone shooting at a drone in a populated area, vs. some farmland where firing a firearm is actually not as dangerous as in a populated area.
2016-6-7
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
United States

dkruseski Posted at 2016-6-6 23:09
Pics or it didn't happen.

What is funny my drone was about to land in the middle of the cul-de-sac as they were approaching in a car - I diverted it to land on my driveway.. If I did not, at the current state of mind, I have a feeling they may have squashed the drone... so that was a good call.. And no, no pictures.. I feel that the camera may have exploded all on it's own ;)
2016-6-7
Use props
anthonyshettell
New

I guess having a million dollar house gives you more rights than the average person
2016-6-7
Use props
Cessna172
Second Officer
United States

SimplePanda Posted at 2016-5-29 09:12
It's seems far more likely that the rapidly expanding Idiocracy within the United States of America ...

You mean like the recent admission by the left-controlled IRS that they WERE in fact illegally targeting Republicans?  Or maybe evidenced by the violent protests of certain sides of the aisle to Presidential candidates?

Yeah, those "Republican-esque" folks are just horrible!   We have a government problem.   Almost everyone is well aware of that.   Hence the larger than usual number of Americans involved in politics as of recent.

I stand by my statment.   
That said, I 100% agree with you on the expanding idiocracy.
2016-6-7
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
United States

What's really unclear to me is what politics have to do with the subject "An Encounter With an Anti-FPV Citizen".

I'm sure you can find people from both sides of the isle that don't like those damned buzzy drones the beach.

Back on-topic: this is a familiar bias against something new. And concerns for privacy, while unfounded, are understandable. Thankfully, we can reason with most people. The person in this incident needs more convincing, but at least she didn't try to damage the thing, call the cops, or call anyone a pervert. As much as she was thinking about things, the only words she managed to get out were about being annoyed at the noise. We can work with that.

Chris
2016-6-7
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.4
United States

anthonyshettell Posted at 2016-6-8 02:00
I guess having a million dollar house gives you more rights than the average person

More likely her being a lesbian gives her more rights/special treatment.
2016-6-7
Use props
anthonyshettell
New

I wasn't aware of her sexual orientation.it just struck me oddly that she gave a dollar figure for her house.
2016-6-7
Use props
dkruseski
lvl.4
United States

I could be wrong, but her use of the word "partner" usually gives that away.
2016-6-7
Use props
ARM-001
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666893 ft
United Kingdom

dkruseski Posted at 2016-6-7 22:52
More likely her being a lesbian gives her more rights/special treatment.

Wow, homaphobic much? She mentions the word "partner" and suddenly her assumed sexual orientation is at issue? There's enough in the video to illustrate her ignorance, making irrelevant and prejudiced assumptions is pointless and offensive.
2016-6-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules