Crashed and damaged a motor, looking for advice...
1010 10 2016-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi everyone, managed to crash my P3P today, it took a good 30 foot fall directly to concrete, you wouldn't believe how well off it has faired I think the gimbal saver and carbon fibre camera guard did their job!.

Its currently throwing an ESC error and after removing the upper shell the motor that took the brunt of the fall has managed to cut its red wire clean in half heres an image....

Here are my options, im just wondering what you guys think i should do..

1) Replace Motor and solder directly to Mainboard

2) Replace motor and solder to current wires (trimmed down half way thus maintaining the original board connection)

3) Re-solder current wires and keep using motor (bearing in mind i dont have much wire to go at coming from the motor side)

4) Replace current red wire by taking motor apart (if even possible?)

Also does anyone know where the best place to get a replacement motor is in the UK? its one of the silver tipped ones...

If anyone has a moment for their feedback and reasons it would be greatly appreciated! Thankyou in advance
IMAG0249.jpg
2016-5-28
Use props
SajidShah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

1st sorry for ur crash...
if its happens with me .. o tape back wire .. sold red wire and taped it gently.. quick fix  
2016-5-28
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

SajidShah Posted at 2016-5-28 15:22
1st sorry for ur crash...
if its happens with me .. o tape back wire .. sold red wire and taped it  ...

Thanks for the feedback SajidShah, much appreciated
2016-5-28
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

get some heat shrink tubing to use and resolder the wire.  Heat shrink is much easier to use, especially with such a short lead.
2016-5-28
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft

Looks just like a wire break to me. If I were you id solder them back together and then put heat shrink around them. The last thing you want is your esc wires disconnecting mid flight
2016-5-28
Use props
Adamation
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback everyone, very much appreciated.
2016-5-28
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Sorry for your crash mate, hope to see your bird get up and running again
2016-5-28
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Tip: You need to scrape the coating off the wires before joining them to solder.
2016-5-28
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Solder it back together but before you do put a piece of shrink wrap on the long lead song once soldered heat the wrap while over the new solder joint. Hopefully the shaft on the motor is OK.
2016-5-28
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You forgot an important part.  You need to determine WHY the wires were damaged.  The crash was the mechanism, but what exactly scraped the insulation and broke the wire?
2016-5-28
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash,mate.I'd suggest you to get in touch with our tech support and send the drone to our service center for fixing. Here is the contacting info:
Email: support.eu@dji.com
Phone:+49(0)97479304200
Monday to Friday, 9:00AM-5:00PM (German Time GMT+1:00)
Online Support:Monday to Friday, 11:00AM-6:00PM (Netherlands Time UTC/GMT +1)
2016-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules