Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aerial 360 of Fettercairn, Scotland
1387 22 2016-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidson_g
Captain
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

Yet another aerial 360... this is the village of Fettercairn, Scotland.

Click image to get interactive panorama.

Google version:

2016-5-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Good job.
2016-5-29
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Thank you I'm feeling guilty about being able to come up with a sensible tutorial how to do these!
2016-5-29
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

davidson_g Posted at 2016-5-30 15:56
Thank you  I'm feeling guilty about being able to come up with a sensible tutorial how to do the ...

Never mind. You can do it if you have time
2016-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

I have to say I love your spherical views, they are sensational. However the first one came up in Google and was very easy to navigate around in, but since then they seem to come from some other source and are a right bugger to navigate. Not a criticism of you, just the host.
2016-5-30
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lovely job again Graeme

2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-30 10:28
I have to say I love your spherical views, they are sensational. However the first one came up in Go ...

Thank you Geebax - really glad you like them. There is an unfortunate reason behind the two different image sources - Google Maps only accepts submissions to already existing place markers and most of my recent images have no marker to associate them with and thus I can't upload them.

The other source is Skypixel and I agree, the navigation is counter intuitive rather like flying nose-in. Skypixel is using Krpano as the image renderer and that navigation anomaly goes back for as long as I can recall. Wish there was a way to change it!

I'm also aware of Krpano's behaviour on tablets where it moves around with the physical tablet angle. That' can get a bit annoying too!

I've just added the Google Version in the original post.

2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-5-30 12:39
Lovely job again Graeme

Thank you Aardvark!
2016-5-30
Use props
Viewfinder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 397 ft
United Kingdom

How the flippin'eck do you do that?
Amazing.
I live in a forest. Something like that would be a wonderful resource for walkers and others. Might take 50 images to cover our forest, but very worthwhile.
EDIT: Clearly, I was behind the curve. Now discovered how to do this: http://www.dronepan.com/ and https://www.skypixel.com/tips/360-degree-aerial-photography
2016-5-30
Use props
SajidShah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627539 ft
Portugal

Awesome !
2016-5-30
Use props
Viewfinder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 397 ft
United Kingdom

I'd love to know what stitching software you use. Kolor Autopano, Giga 4 or Pro? DJI Dronepan? Something else?
But perhaps it's a secret!
2016-5-30
Use props
Phantomski
Captain
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

So you have to stitch them yourself then upload? I have been playing with roundme.com lately, but I am findight that it's not working great... perhaps my use of Image Composite  Editor is either not done correctly, or something else is going on. also, with a drone, how the heck do you complete the image above you, or does it simply stitch around, and leaves no hole, as it's all sky?
This is the "closest" I got on roundme, and cannot say that I am all happy:
https://round.me/tour/48993/view
I guess I will perhaps snoop for some tutorials too.
Anyhow, your image looks very good!
2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Viewfinder Posted at 2016-5-30 14:41
How the flippin'eck do you do that?
Amazing.
I live in a forest. Something like that would be a wond ...

It's great way to see things. My main issues are lack of resolution, camera dynamic range  and regulations that prevent flying any closer to get some better angles/views.

I have to confess on abandoning drone pan after a few attempts which is a shame (mainly due to missing images) but I soon found it was batter to compose and expose manually as automatic exposure often leads to too many blown out highlights.

Manually aiming the camera is also better for shots with lots of ocean in them as the stitcher needs stationary detail to determine the overlaps - having some rocks just making it into an image can make all the difference! I'm almost stitching the image in my head whilst I'm taking the images
2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Thank you
2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Viewfinder Posted at 2016-5-30 15:37
I'd love to know what stitching software you use. Kolor Autopano, Giga 4 or Pro? DJI Dronepan? Somet ...

I'm using Kolor Autopano Giga and manually positioning the drone/gimbal. I'll use Kolor Panotour for previewing the interactive 360 before publishing as some stitching errors just don't leap out unless looked at as an interactive tour.

In theory it would be possible to create an aerial virtual tour using Panotour to bring all the photospheres together
2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-30 15:57
So you have to stitch them yourself then upload? I have been playing with roundme.com lately, but I  ...

That's correct - all the images get stitched together into what is known as a 360 by 180 degree equirectangular image. The websites that allow them to be viewed interactively actually undistort the part of the image you are viewing so it looks normal.

Image Composite Editor is easy to use but lacks the sophistication and manual controls that make all the difference. Autopano Giga has a steep learning curve (I've been using it for about 7 years and still learning) but it has the flexibility get great results if poked and prodded in the right way.

The hole in roundme sky is simply because you have no images of the sky above the drone. I work around that by creating a panorama of the sky (with a DSLR camera on the ground) before I take off. The tricky thing is to join those two panoramas together without it looking like they have been joined together!

Your roundme pic still gives a great view of the neighbourhood though!
2016-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

davidson_g Posted at 2016-5-30 21:42
Thank you Geebax - really glad you like them. There is an unfortunate reason behind the two differe ...

Thank you for adding the Google version Graeme, much easier to navigate and you can also zoom in on the image. I find myself exploring every inch of the image in detail.
2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-30 23:29
Thank you for adding the Google version Graeme, much easier to navigate and you can also zoom in o ...

You're very welcome! There are not too many options for hosting 360 images at the moment. I prefer Google Maps myself but another downside is that they can't currently be viewed on an iPad unless using their Streetview app to seek them out. However it seems 360 is becoming more mainstream so things may change.

I enjoy exploring these images too; even although I'm familiar with the areas, it's a whole new perspective to take in. Agriculture really has taken over the landscape and advancements in farming technology is visually apparent in the sometimes semiconductor-style precision of the field's furrows and tramlines!
2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-30 23:29
Thank you for adding the Google version Graeme, much easier to navigate and you can also zoom in o ...

You're very welcome! There are not too many options for hosting 360 images at the moment. I prefer Google Maps myself but another downside is that they can't currently be viewed on an iPad unless using their Streetview app to seek them out. However it seems 360 is becoming more mainstream so things may change.

I enjoy exploring these images too; even although I'm familiar with the areas, it's a whole new perspective to take in. Agriculture really has taken over the landscape and advancements in farming technology is visually apparent in the sometimes semiconductor-style precision of the field's furrows and tramlines!
2016-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

davidson_g Posted at 2016-5-31 09:16
You're very welcome! There are not too many options for hosting 360 images at the moment. I prefer ...

I have been passing along links to your material to other people so they can enjoy them as well. It is an excellent demonstration of what you can achieve using a Phantom and other photographic equipment. Keep up the good work.
2016-5-30
Use props
davidson_g
Captain
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-5-31 00:24
I have been passing along links to your material to other people so they can enjoy them as well. I ...

Thank you for your kind encouragement - for others to also enjoy the views I'm fortunate to have around me is all I could hope for.
2016-5-30
Use props
ricky7
Captain
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

nice work!
good skill
2016-6-17
Use props
davidson_g
Captain