S/w Upgraded Now new "Feature" Quick Off !!!
1552 18 2015-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
denny.lindsay.e
lvl.1

United States

Recently upgraded firmware, performed the re-bind on Radio TX, Wifi, and P2V+ everything up to date and synced.
Charged everything to 100% and went for a flight.

Took off, gained altitude to 100 ft. made small circle returned to me and began descent by holding down left lever within 5 seconds the P2V+ shut off and bounced at my feet in my driveway from about 15' above concrete. Bent the Gimbal armat the servo plate, but everything else stayed in tact.

Ordered a replace gimabal arm and just in case cable from ATKDrone and the gimbal saver from acesdeals.biz

I reproduced the new quick off feature in the house without blades...

Start P2V+ simulate rising for 7 - 8 seconds   then move around with right lever then hold down left lever only....

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 ........All Off.

This is the 5.8 Ghz Alkaline Battery version, I have th LiPo V3 on order to see if the detent down hold descent  fixed the "Feature"

You have been warned.

Denny

2015-1-20
Use props
jcocci
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1029364 ft
  • >>>
United States

If I am reading your post correctly then I don't think the test you did would be an accurate indication. Correct me if I am wrong but when doing the left lever down to stop motors the phantom has to have stopped losing altitude. Seeing that you never gained any altitude the props should have stopped spinning in that time frame. Again this is assuming i read your post and understood your test correctly.
2015-1-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

The reason it turned off in the house with just the left stick down in it was not descending, it was stationary and the barometric pressure was not detecting downward movement.
2015-1-20
Use props
denny.lindsay.e
lvl.1

United States

Apologies.... Allow me to clarify....

The P2V was at ~100ft above me. I wanted to bring it to my feet and land.

So I depressed the down lever thinking that's how you go down.....

Within 5 seconds it shut off completely and fell right in front of me.

The lever is not moved in at all, straight down.

Try it on yours...

Denny
2015-1-20
Use props
jcocci
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

So need some information as well. What mode are you flying in? I am assuming NAZA. Where were your S1 and S2 switches when this happened?
2015-1-20
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i have a p2v (non plus), mine does NOT do this.  i regularly use 'down throttle' from  heights of 200-300 ft and descend straight down with no issues.  as gerry describes, if my phantom ever stops descending during this procedure (i grab it midair, it lands on the ground, etc) the motors do go off but only after 3 secs of no descent.

fyi, to avoid dreaded VRS i often do forward as im descending but sometimes i still come down slowly straight as described and never have a problem.  but again, i have a non-plus and i think you have a plus so technically not the same craft.
2015-1-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

denny.lindsay.e Posted at 2015-1-21 00:05
Apologies.... Allow me to clarify....

The P2V was at ~100ft above me. I wanted to bring it to my f ...

At the 2.15 time mark, he tests the theory that just depressing the down throttle will shut off the motors while it is descending.  Myth busted.
2015-1-20
Use props
jcocci
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Yeah I have held down the left throttle like that often and never had an issue. It needs to detect that its no longer losing altitude for that to turn off motors.
2015-1-20
Use props
denny.lindsay.e
lvl.1

United States

I'll video mine shutting off tonight, of course it won't have a camera attached :@  

D
2015-1-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

denny.lindsay.e Posted at 2015-1-21 00:45
I'll video mine shutting off tonight, of course it won't have a camera attached   

D

Great, I want to see it and what you do to the sticks.
2015-1-20
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

I have a P2V+ V3.0,
Was out last night for 40 min...
Flew all over, up, down, down, up etc. and can hold the descend/down for any amount of time prior to it actually landing and never a "shut off" as you described unless it is actually stationary...
Any chance you might have been going down and back at the same time and accidentally executed the motor shut off sequence "CSC"?
2015-1-20
Use props
denny.lindsay.e
lvl.1

United States

Could have, but i doubt it. Just learning how to fly so who knows what screw-ups I'm capable of...

D
2015-1-20
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

denny, while it is technically possible for you to have executed a CSC midflight, if you were only touching the down throttle and dont recall touching the other throttle 'at all' then that is not likely.  your potential problem is a very odd mystery for me because i have been concerned about this ever since i read the fact that it is throttle down AND 3secs of no altitude change because i worried about a crash.

since then, for several weeks now, i can say with certainty that my phantom does not do this (and i sure hope it doesnt start) and i wish you luck with further testing.
2015-1-20
Use props
denny.lindsay.e
lvl.1

United States

I can't rather couldn't get it to fall out of the sky tonight.

So apologies to all for a false scare, but I'm holding a gimbal that's bent from a 15 ft fall I didn't authorize.

I can get it to do it sitting on the ground, or in the house with and without blades, so I'm not sure why DJI doesn't list this method as a quick shutdown.

Denny
2015-1-20
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

guymacdonald Posted at 2015-1-21 16:32
This is a theory only but I would be looking at the barometric sensor. Having said that I am not sur ...

Well Guy,
It could very remotely get plugged up with dust from previous take offs getting into the vents and in the barometric pressure unit. but highly unlikely.
As far as your other question about updrafts, not very likely that an updraft would be equal to the fall for at least 3 to 5 seconds for the back throttle stick to initiate the normal shutdown sequence.  I understand your concerns,  when I first started to fly back in April,  my left hand was shaking so bad on descent that I had my thumb wedged in the throttle to prevent me from going all the way back.  Hurt like H@%! for a few weeks.
2015-1-21
Use props
Humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

You must have been pressing to the left. You can initiate CSC by holding the throttle to the bottom left. Remember to always keep momentum forward or back when descending to stay out of your prop wash as well.

My Hanger
Phantom 2w/H3-3D gimbal & GoPro Hero3+, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, iOSDMini, Large Skids
Phantom 2 w/600tvl, 600mw 5.8vtx w/VAS BB Ultra, V2ESC's, MultiStar 2212 Motors, iOSD Mini, Custom Wood Skids &Paint
Lumenier QAV250 Carbon on 4S, Cobra 2204/1960Motors, KISS 18a ESC's, Aero Guard, CF Camera Mount, CC3D, FrSkyD4R-II, Mobius
Hubsan X4 Stock mini racer, Hubsan X4107DNon FPV(now) racer project, Taranis X9D w/external Antenna & 2200mah lipo, Dominator V2's w/goggle mod
Check Out My http://www.youtube.com/humboldt710 Channel
2015-1-21
Use props
johnwarr.email
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Because you don't want to calibrate your altimeter at home.
Much better to calibrate on power up at your take-off point, if you get a high or low reading, just turn the phantom off and on again to reset.
2015-1-21
Use props
cmgreenejr.emai
lvl.2

United States

johnwarr.email Posted at 2015-1-21 17:43
Because you don't want to calibrate your altimeter at home.
Much better to calibrate on power up at ...

Actually, I have been dealing with the altimeter issue myself, and have attempted various versions of pre-flight checklist/routine. In my experience, as of yesterday, my Phantom2 V+, after establishing gps/home lock/calibrating compass, and power cycling Phantom, displayed on my iPhone -300 ft. altitude, and changing by the second. I took off, rose to visually about 50 ft., and then was advised that I reached the 400 ft. altitude limit. At that point, I brought Phantom down, hand caught it, again power cycled it, awaited green LED indication as to gps status, and magically, the altimeter was correct.
2015-1-21
Use props
denny.lindsay.e
lvl.1

United States

Appreciate all the replies, awaiting new gimbal and cable to get her back in the air. I've become too attached to the in-flight data on my Tablet to fly it nekked. Besides FPV is the main reason I chose this one.
D
2015-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules