Off on its own and crashed
3393 33 2015-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
powerhs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1195696 ft
United States

It just took off on its own and crash. Almost killing someone, good thing the landing gear was down and the only damage 2 broken propellers, you would think that propellers and batteries would be readily available since that's the first thing everybody buys.
http://youtu.be/b2N3fxHTtoU

2015-1-20
Use props
Blip
lvl.2

United States

I'm glad your landing gear was down but what do you mean when saying 'took off on its own'?
2015-1-20
Use props
MTShipp
lvl.2

United States

The owner of that craft is wrong for flying near people.
2015-1-20
Use props
AshInspire1
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Not a clue he hasn't. Pilot error I reckon
2015-1-20
Use props
fawkem911
lvl.1

United Kingdom

it took off (higher than 1.2m (so not auto take off), stopped ascending, moved forward and descended into the ground? all without any user input what-so-ever?
2015-1-20
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Well it came with 2 sets didn't it?
2015-1-20
Use props
marvelles
lvl.4
Flight distance : 600479 ft
Germany

have you made a compass calibration before start?and imu basic--->advance too?
2015-1-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Pilot error.
2015-1-20
Use props
PixelArtFilms
lvl.2
Flight distance : 372631 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it took off on its own and raise above 10ft or more just enough to pass the house then contact DJI support to gather the flight data to prove your case. These types of post are getting old.
2015-1-20
Use props
josh
New

United States

anyone have extra props for sell? i need some for a shoot next week in Vegas
2015-1-20
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

Still a sad and expensive loss just the same. Did it survive and repairable?
2015-1-20
Use props
dbeck.email
lvl.4

United States

Really?  How do conclude that?  Looks like it just flew off
2015-1-20
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

dbeck.email Posted at 2015-1-21 03:00
Really?  How do conclude that?  Looks like it just flew off

1. Did you calibrate your RC?
2. Did you check that you were in mode 2?
3. Did you calibrate your compass?
4. Did you update your firmware?
5. Did you calibrate your IMU?
6. Check to be sure that nothing is blocking your radar on the belly....this last one is very important.
2015-1-20
Use props
dbeck.email
lvl.4

United States

Radar on the belly?  What are you talking about?
2015-1-20
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

I've been flying inspire about 12 times, never had an issue, it's always been working great. That day may have been my fault, I took off before I had enough satellites. the Ready to fly was green, and then yellow, and then green. I went straight up and I pushed forward and released. my hands was not on the control it just kept going, it wouldn't stop, so I hit down thinking it would hit the roof. I use it  again after that and it was fine.

Everything is up-to-date and calibrated. Like I said it's been working great I don't know what went wrong.
I have noticed that even if the GPS is green, the inspire drifts quite a bit, but if it sits outside for a while it stops drifting.
2015-1-20
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

PixelArtFilms Posted at 2015-1-21 00:15
If it took off on its own and raise above 10ft or more just enough to pass the house then contact DJ ...

I shouldn't say it took off on its own. I should probably say wouldn't stop moving forward, and it came down because I was pushing down so it wouldn't hit the people.
It happened too fast to think of going right or left I was trying to hit the roof.
2015-1-20
Use props
mjdmike.email
lvl.3

United States

Sorry that happened, but glad nobody was hurt.

Were you in ATTI mode?
2015-1-20
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

MTShipp Posted at 2015-1-20 23:17
The owner of that craft is wrong for flying near people.

Really that's flying near people?
The only reason it came close to people is because it wouldn't stop
2015-1-20
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

Also if you notice the camera jerks once in a while that's been happening quite a bit.
2015-1-20
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

mjdmike.email Posted at 2015-1-21 04:33
Sorry that happened, but glad nobody was hurt.

Were you in ATTI mode?

No I was in GPS mode with the green light to fly
2015-1-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-1-21 03:49
1. Did you calibrate your RC?
2. Did you check that you were in mode 2?
3. Did you calibrate your  ...

Great advice I did see a notice to clean the sensors under the craft every flight as well.
2015-1-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

powerhs Posted at 2015-1-21 04:24
I've been flying inspire about 12 times, never had an issue, it's always been working great. That da ...

Good explanation have good sat com before flight is a good thing... I let it sit for a min or two to lock in sat com I do this religiously with both my phantom and this new bird.

So its not damaged is it??

Beware if you throttle down too fast it cuts the motors so go slow when descending the air craft ..Small stick adjustments always.
Good advice never throttle down to fast .
2015-1-20
Use props
powerhs
lvl.3
United States

I don't calibrate the compass before every flight maybe I should.
2015-1-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

powerhs Posted at 2015-1-21 05:26

agreed......

With that impact Im surprised its not a total lose glad to hear its still flying. That tarp saved you no doubt.
2015-1-20
Use props
Joola
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1696545 ft
United States

Please read the manual. You risk crashing your craft, damaging property, or hurting someone by not following the directions and warnings in the manual:

2015-1-20
Use props
slabella.email
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483192 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello, I have been flying my Inspire 1 now once a day for a week after upgrading to v.16 and IOS app 0.9.2 and did the IMU several times at each flight and calibrate the compass as well.

Fly's OK, bit i am not 100% confident that Inspire is ready compared to the Phantom 2 products i have and been flying for almost two years.

As of yesterday i noticed a new problem, the Yellow warning on the Inspire LED comes on once or twice in flight and i am in a wide open field and nothing to impact the compass as all. This is a same field i fly my Phantoms and it's the test ground i use.

Also, with that i notice the toilet bowl effect comes and go's and again, i know this effect from earlier Phantom 2 firmware fix's DJI did back in 2013 and 2014. So it's could be in the Inspire code that needs more tweaks.

So with that, given that the new .16 and 0.9.2 app seems to work, i am hesitating to use the Inspire 1 for any big flying tasks for now and will give DJI to get the kinks out of this baby and go back flying my Phantom Vision 2 + for a couple of months.   It's two costly to replace the Inspire if the current Firmware is suspect still.

Wish you all LUCK for now and keep reporting, i  will too!
Best regards,
Steve  
2015-1-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

toggle the app go to advanced setting hit the senor tab see what the compass reading are.
compass should be at 1400 and mod at 1.01 to 1.0

Pre flight check list is a must with  15 lb flying chopomatic )
2015-1-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

slabella.email Posted at 2015-1-21 05:44
Hello, I have been flying my Inspire 1 now once a day for a week after upgrading to v.16 and IOS a ...

I'm with you on this I will wait for new firmware to update before I trust this thing beyond testing it 3 feet off the ground testing battery life etc..

I wish they would put  a sat count on the app instead of that bar graph like a cell phone.
2015-1-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

powerhs Posted at 2015-1-21 04:29
I shouldn't say it took off on its own. I should probably say wouldn't stop moving forward, and it ...

Ok then ... Tarp lucky you ... Trying to hit the roof ? Next time pull back on the right stick when in doubt !
Close proximity flight takes some experience !   Go out to a socket field when it's empty of people ,
Place a thin stick or dowel maybe 3 feet long or so in the ground tie a piece of bright flagging tape to the top , then take off with your quad from some distance away say 30 to 40 feet  try to fly up to and around the flag a few feet higher  tilt your camera while flying a little practice at different distances , keep eye contact with the bird at first then go to the screen . When I got one of the first phantoms  a year and a half ago I did this using a set of the fatshark googles and got quite good at flying close in work ..nothing beats being in the pilots seat , HD googles or Zeiss cinamizers put you there !
2015-1-20
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Altitude is good too always go up and figure it out later lots of open air .
Several times I've had close calls I always go for altitude saved my phantom twice  good advice David.

I often park a car or something as a target in the driveway and focus on that target during flight makes for good practice often I will keep the back of the craft to me for weeks till I am used to it and reversing its controls.
2015-1-20
Use props
DJI-JS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 48940 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi powerhs,
What version of FW are you on? Also, do you mind to send your flight data log to us? inspire1@dji.com

Thank you
2015-1-20
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

powerhs Posted at 2015-1-21 04:24
I've been flying inspire about 12 times, never had an issue, it's always been working great. That da ...

Lucky you tarp crash ! Ok you didn't have 6 or more sats lock so bird took off in attitude mode basically and when you gave it forward stick comand she boogied good !! But when you released the stick the bird continued forward flight , this is what the craft does in  atti mode , just like a dji phantom it will only stop reasonably quick when sticks are released when you've got proper sat lock in GPS mode .. Hope your new inspire suffered no serious damage ok then ..
2015-1-20
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not a very good madden flight. Bet you are not a happy camper!
2015-1-20
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

China

Really sorry for your loss...
BTW, could you pls add a link to your post in the your mail?
Many thanks
2015-1-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules