Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First post, first day with my new phantom 3 pro with a few questions
1550 12 2016-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
patfanrob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happy Memorial Day everyone. First let me say that 2 days ago I bought a phantom 3 standard and updated firmware then took for maiden flight. Immediately I noticed one motor had a loud ringing, almost grinding noise. I returned to bestbuy for another of the same. Updated the quad and took it out and sounded like 2 motors were making noise. I've never owned a dji before so I was now starting to sour on this product. A coworker has the pro version and loves it and has gotten nice footage so I returned the second one and bought the phantom 3 pro and updated it and what a difference from the standard. I've only flown a walkera hoten x quad and what a difference. This thing flys so smooth and the motors sound good. Including myself, I don't understand why so many of the standard models have defective motors out of the box.

Now a couple questions,
What is a decent cheaper tablet to use with this quad?
Is a 32 gig card enough for two to three batterys of flight or do you recommend a 64 instead
I have a second generation iPad but it doesn't seem right for this quad, currently I'm using my Samsung note 4
I'm trying to keep costs down on accessories so any input is greatly appreciated
2016-5-30
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

At Ultra HD (3840 x 2160), 4GB is about 9.5 minutes of video.

Not sure on the tablet, the Nvidia may be good, I'm sure somebody will advise.
2016-5-30
Use props
Hawks100
Second Officer
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

The Samsung Note 4 worked fine for me,i now have a 9.7 iPad pro so its compatible with my iMac.
I use a Lexor 32gb card and the 16gb that comes with the P3P. I have 3 batteries of flight time and these two cards are enough.
Enjoy the P3P
2016-5-30
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Captain

I use an ipad air 2 and love it. Barely fits, so just about as big as you can go with the stock mounting clamp. Aardvarks numbers will help you determine SD size. I thought I'd throw in this little tidbit of what I consider good advice, and that's to try to keep your videos as short as possible so they are easier to work with in post processing. If you are flying while taking video and stop in one spot for any amount of time, stop the camera and then start it back up when you're ready. This will break them into smaller pieces and use less of your SD. Happy Flying!

Barney
2016-5-30
Use props
patfanrob
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the input, I went with the nvidia shield k1, I think I'll try to diy a sun shield. I went with a pny card rated for 4 k cameras, good reviews on Amazon. We'll see. The only knock on the nvidia is the glare so I'll do my best to remedy that. Happy flying and thanks everyone.
2016-5-31
Use props
Flight Raptor
First Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

patfanrob Posted at 2016-5-31 12:39
Thanks for the input, I went with the nvidia shield k1, I think I'll try to diy a sun shield. I went ...

You'll be very happy with the Shield K1 (that is what I use).   

I also use the following shield to help in bright sunlight.....a bit pricey, but nice quality product:
Nvidia Sheld Sun Shade
2016-5-31
Use props
patfanrob
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-5-31 10:08

I also use the following shield ...

Thanks for the info, I went ahead and ordered it. Looks pretty good
2016-5-31
Use props
patfanrob
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-5-31 10:08

I also use the following shield ...

I just received the sun shield and really like it. Very good quality. I'm flying it carefully until I learn orientation again, it's been over 3 years since I flew a quad and even then I lost the quad before properly learning it. I lost it in thick scrub brush and the second time looking for it I almost got bit by a rattlesnake. It was a hoten x and I have to say flying this P3P is so much easier and better. Reading different threads here I'm picking up some great info.
2016-6-4
Use props
JBRead
New

United States

iPad Air 2 is great w a shield
2016-6-4
Use props
Flight Raptor
First Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

patfanrob Posted at 2016-6-4 10:39
I just received the sun shield and really like it. Very good quality. I'm flying it carefully unti ...

Hey, glad you like it...I, too, have been very happy with its quality and ability to fold almost flat.  Holy crap on the rattlesnake incident!  
2016-6-4
Use props
patfanrob
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JBRead Posted at 2016-6-4 09:13
iPad Air 2 is great w a shield

My coworker uses the iPad Air 2 with his quad and loves it. I have a second gen iPad and use it for Internet. A good while back the apple system updates for my iPad were causing problems with it and it took them quite a while to roll out an update that wasn't a problem and this really had me hateing on Apple products. It works ok now but I'm really happy with the nvidia shield k1. Really quick little tablet. Now I'm shopping cases and wondering if Amazon quad batterys are knockoffs, price is good but I'm kind of leery.
2016-6-5
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

patfanrob Posted at 2016-6-6 05:38
My coworker uses the iPad Air 2 with his quad and loves it. I have a second gen iPad and use it fo ...

"wondering if Amazon quad batterys are knockoffs, price is good but I'm kind of leery."

You definitely don't want to buy knockoffs if you have a more recent firmware, which blocks 3rd party batteries.

Let us know the firmware version of your craft. Also, post a link to the battery here and we can help you decide if they're official DJI batteries.
2016-6-5
Use props
Not A Speck Of
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I see now a knock-off battery for $99 that claims to work with the most recent firmware, but a) they don't say what version that is, and b) even if it does cover the most recently firmware, what about the next version?

I recommend not taking the chance for a ~$15 savings.

Chris
2016-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules