Should I be worried?
1052 13 2016-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dbortolli
lvl.1

I noticed this small crack a few days ago in one of my P3A arms and I can't recall if it was already there when I first got it (about 3-4 months ago). All I know is that I've never crashed or even hardlanded the aircraft meaning that either the crack was already there or it was generated due to some inflight stress which shouldn't happen in such short time IMO.
I did found a lot of similar issues while searching about it online, and in most of them this cracking issue seems to happen close to the screws that holds together the bottom with the upper shell body. So my main concern/question right know is how I should proceed.

- I can't send the aircraft in for repair/change the shell since I live in Brazil and we don't have DJI support here as far as I know.
- Would DJI send me a replacement part so I could replace the body shell myself?
- Is there any "technique" I could use to prevent that crack from spreading, like super glue or something that would reduce the stress in that area?
- Have you ever had this issue? What did you do?

Crack-1

Crack-1

Crack-2

Crack-2

Thanks!

2016-5-30
Use props
jason.porembski
lvl.1

United States

Doesn't appear to be a stress fracture.  Doubtful DJI would replace for free.  You may want to purchase a top shell and swap it.  I don't THINK that where that is will cause any further problems since it's not bolted to anything there.  But unfortunately that's just a guess.  
2016-5-30
Use props
mjlstudios
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1540131 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use a little JB liquid weld over the crack. Let it dry for a few hours, sand it smooth and apply some white paint. Try it out first on a spot not noticeable to see if this epoxy effects the A/C skin.
2016-5-30
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Not a biggie. Just keep an eye on it.
2016-5-30
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

Are you flying the aircraft with propeller warning labels in place?

These are covering the motor ventilation openings.
2016-5-30
Use props
dbortolli
lvl.1

Airspace Explor Posted at 2016-5-31 09:26
Are you flying the aircraft with propeller warning labels in place?

These are covering the motor ve ...

No, hehe. I just add them after flying to prevent dust etc.
2016-5-30
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

interesting... never considered that, but my DJI sleeps in it's backpack.. not that that thing does not have it's own dust....
I bough 5second fix not long ago, mainly for kids' toys, but i have been impressed with how it works.. now, will it bind such plastic well, not sure... but i did fix some body issues on my Blade 350, and few other small copter bodies, and it seems to hold well..  it a UV hardening agent... transparent.
2016-5-30
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

DJI support most likely won't repair for free about that.

I agree with others that it's not a big issue either.
2016-5-30
Use props
moon
lvl.1

Singapore

I don't think DJI will help you to repair it for free, if you can't prove the crack was already here when you first got the product.
However, you'd better ask DJI Official for some advices or some necessary services, maybe with costs.

2016-5-31
Use props
mtrascal2000
lvl.1
Australia

Standard fix on real aircraft if cracking appears (obviously depends where and when),  stop drill at either end of the crack. I don't see any reason why this principal would not work. You could also just add some epoxy glue once you have drilled the holes. Use the smallest drill you can get your hands on and use a magnifier glass to ensure you are at the end of the crack. Recommend taking the shell off to drill so you don't damage anything under the shell. Hope this helps.
2016-5-31
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

I would take the shell off and repair it from the inside.

Seems like a vibration sterss crack to me.   Maybe that prop is out of balance?
2016-5-31
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Put a liyyle CA Green on it. That should mend it and stop it from spreading.
2016-5-31
Use props
dbortolli
lvl.1

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-5-31 15:32
DJI support most likely won't repair for free about that.

I agree with others that it's not a big  ...

I'll keep an eye on it just to ensure it doesn't get bigger.
2016-5-31
Use props
dbortolli
lvl.1

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-5-31 17:44
I would take the shell off and repair it from the inside.

Seems like a vibration sterss crack to me ...

hard to tell, I mean, I'm still using the ones that came with the phantom and they're still in pretty good shape as far as I can tell... but I'll keep an eye on it.
2016-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules