Every Video Stops at 9 Minutes and 21 Seconds
3409 21 2016-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft
United States

I have noticed that every flight I take, no matter how long I am recording, I end up with two video files. The first is always 9 minutes and 21 or 22 seconds. The second file has the remainder which is usually 4 to 6 minutes.

Is this normal for the DJI P3 Pro?

2016-5-30
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Look at the file sizes.
Is there a pattern?
2016-5-30
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72867 ft
United States

Mine did the same thing the other day.  Around a 15 minute flight, first video around 4GB and 9 min 24 seconds, second video around 2GB and remainder time.  Not sure why this can't record a 15 minute flight on the card.
2016-5-30
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Its to do with the file structure and current standards. Most 4K users will experience this issue.
The file structure can only handle 4gig files max. This means the P3/P3 will split the file. I'm not sure if they have fixed it, but on earlier firmware, there was reports of missing frames when the file split occurred.
2016-5-30
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-5-31 10:51
Its to do with the file structure and current standards. Most 4K users will experience this issue.
T ...

I had a JXD that would split the video after 4 minutes but that was a $90 drone. This is an awfully expensive bird to be having that kind of problem.

I hope they intend to fix it soon.
2016-5-30
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-5-31 10:25
Look at the file sizes.
Is there a pattern?

Yep. 4.2gb on all of the initial files.
2016-5-30
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

I don't think it's a problem, it's actually a safeguard, in case if a video editing software needs a "smaller" file.. i am actually surprised the break is not at 2G.....

2016-5-30
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72867 ft
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-5-31 11:06
I don't think it's a problem, it's actually a safeguard, in case if a video editing software needs a ...

I don't use any video editing software or the like.  I wouldn't even know where to start to put the 2 files together to make a complete video.
2016-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-31 13:22
I don't use any video editing software or the like.  I wouldn't even know where to start to put th ...

'I don't use any video editing software or the like.  I wouldn't even know where to start to put the 2 files together to make a complete video.'

If you plan to make best use of your aircraft and the video clips it produces, then perhaps you should start to learn. There are heaps of free to low cost editing programs out there to put the files together, do a search on here for starters.
And BTW, even GoPro do the same thing with their files, except their editing package can join them together.
2016-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-5-31 13:03
I had a JXD that would split the video after 4 minutes but that was a $90 drone. This is an awfull ...

'This is an awfully expensive bird to be having that kind of problem. I hope they intend to fix it soon.'

It is not a problem and it most likely will not be 'fixed' either. It is done this way for compatability reasons and many manufacturers do exactly the same.
2016-5-30
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

That happens because of the limit of 4Gb for every file. After 4GB video recording interrupts for one second to create another file and starts recording again.
2016-5-30
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-31 13:22
I don't use any video editing software or the like.  I wouldn't even know where to start to put th ...

There is a big red button on your screen. Learn to stop and start instead of creating 1 long video clip. Unless you are chasing a subject for more than 9minutes, I don't see the need for a file to reach 4gigs.
2016-5-30
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39012 ft
Australia

Everything I've read suggests that your card is formatted as FAT which has a 4Gb limit before starting a new file. If you format the card as exFAT, this limit is removed and you can record continous video.
2016-5-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

kejado70@tpg.co Posted at 2016-5-31 14:47
Everything I've read suggests that your card is formatted as FAT which has a 4Gb limit before starti ...

This has no effect whatsoever, as the Phantom does not treat the files any differently. It formats the SD card as FAT32 and still splits them at the 4GB boundary.
2016-5-30
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

quanthonytrang Posted at 2016-5-30 22:51
T ...

Very interesting. Thanks for the input.
2016-5-31
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-5-31 05:03
I had a JXD that would split the video after 4 minutes but that was a $90 drone. This is an awfull ...

This has nothing to do with your drone, it's a limitation of the operating system of any PC/Mac.
2016-5-31
Use props
irp
Banned

United Kingdom

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2016-5-31
Use props
terrylewis
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Our DJI Aircraft use micro SD Cards up to 64GB in capacity. For cards less than 32GB, the aircraft formats them as FAT32 because of the max volume size limitation of FAT32.
For FAT32, the maximum file size is 4GB.

For 32GB and 64GB micro SD Cards, the system formats these card as FAT64 (exFAT) because it is more efficient and has much greater file and volume limitations -> 128PB max volume and nearly unlimited file size.

However, the software that wrties the file to the SD Card uses the least common denominator and always truncates writes less than 4GB regardless of FAT32 or FAT64 (exFAT)...

So as stated previously, plan your shots accordingly.
2016-5-31
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

tytlyf Posted at 2016-5-31 05:22

Really? That's a waste actually.

I wouldn't even have a P3 if I wasn't interested in making videos. Of course flying a P3 is cool, but I like editing shots, putting some music in it and making a nice clip. I'm still practising the flying and the editing, but practice makes perfect, and the P3 footage gives me what I need to practice editing.

Often people ask me "What the hell are you doing with a drone? Where's the fun in that?" Then when I show them some videos they admit that it actually has value and that's it's a tool to make something cool.
2016-5-31
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

irp Posted at 2016-5-31 06:19
Since 1998 Macs have used the HFS+ file system which doesn't have a 4Gb limit, the max size is act ...

haha.. welcome to world dominated b you know whom... ;) Oh well...
2016-5-31
Use props
Batshit
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4849 ft
United States

Well, this thread either knows you cannot shoot a 25 minute video on one file, or we are just gossiping. I think the commented was looking for a solution and not a reason why it does it. Choose your shots carefully is not a solution.
2018-8-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Batshit Posted at 2018-8-29 19:29
Well, this thread either knows you cannot shoot a 25 minute video on one file, or we are just gossiping. I think the commented was looking for a solution and not a reason why it does it. Choose your shots carefully is not a solution.

Start a new thread.

Bringing these old topics up, is waste if time. Many of the players no longer hang out here.

RedHotPoker
2018-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules