P4 Charging hub...Somewhat disappointed.
3299 21 2016-6-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

First of all I must say that I expected much more in regards to the quality as the Phantom 3 hubs that I have are very nice, actually almost all of the DJI accessories I have purchased (I own all the P3 and P4 Accessories DJI sells) are of high quality. The Phantom 4 version is somewhat disappointing. The switch is rough, loose and feels like a cheap switch. The hard plastic feet make this thing slip and slide around on any hard surface while inserting batteries, surely they could have splurged with some nice rubber feet here. At $90 each (I ordered three of them for my 9 batteries) this is very disheartening, I think this product would be better priced at $30-40 each as I would hazard a bet this item cost no more than $3-5 to make, maybe there's more here than I'm seeing...I feel slightly ripped off to tell you the truth, this is not the quality I was expecting at this price tag or given the historical quality I've come to expect after receiving other accessories.

I will think twice before buying another accessory.

But at least I didn't have to pay the duty on them at $270 USD each on the shipping invoice...

2016-6-1
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Mine arrives tomorrow :-(
2016-6-1
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Don't despair completely, It still does the job as advertised and I can appreciate that but I just wish they would have been a little more humble, honest  and realistic about the accompanying price tag. I think they believe we will all buy this stuff without question but I want them to know that will not always be the case. Today I'm unhappy with the product at this price point, tomorrow this will still be in the back of my mind and I will scrutinize their next offering, the following day I will start to look at alternative options and once I go there it will be hard to bring me back into the fray.

I think they could have made this a fair $90 product by paying attention to the little details... Some nice light grey rubber feet (4 cents), a nice heavier base to keep it more stable (20 cents)and maybe a quality switch with a positive indexed feel to it (15 cents). You know the first thing I do when looking at a new car is open then close the door, any little sounds that shouldn't be there make me walk away...It's these little attentions to detail that keep me as a loyal and happy customer and I think this is something DJI is forgetting every now and then.
2016-6-1
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

The fact that it discharges three batteries to 50% all at once almost makes up for the lack of rubber feet....Almost.

2016-6-1
Use props
SectorDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

does it only discharges to 50%... or this is also parallel Charger ?
2016-6-1
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Mine arrived today, it's nit to bad, price tag def on the upper level but a very handy tool to have so you don't have to keep looking at the battery and waiting till another one to connect, the switch is fine on mine so may be your could be faulty ? I will be sicking some rubber feet on mine though :-)
2016-6-2
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

SectorDrone Posted at 2016-6-1 23:54
does it only discharges to 50%... or this is also parallel Charger ?

It will discharge 3 batteries to 50% simultaneously but will only charge one at a time starting with the battery that has the most charge.
2016-6-2
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry folks. I just found this Post after I created my own. OOOPPS
2016-6-2
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-6-2 05:33
Mine arrived today, it's nit to bad, price tag def on the upper level but a very handy tool to have  ...

I purchased three of these, all three have the same squishy switch, two of them were close in serial numbers and one was way off. Another thing I noticed that the packaging was slightly different on one which was wierd but in line with people finding their Phantoms packaged differently (stickers etc). I put some little clear rubber feet on mine but (the little rubber tabs for cupboard drawers) and they worked well. I do think they are handy and do the job well but the price is still way out of line IMHO, they are essentially a $150USD charger if you add it all up. You can buy a charger that will charge three batteries and your radio simultaneously for about $50 on eBay, I won't say that is a quality charger but I have heard  from those who have them that they are quite happy with their purchase at the price point. I didn't hesitate to pony up the $270 USD for three of them but expected somewhat more at the price point...sorry to ramble on...end rant ;)
2016-6-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cale262@gmail.c Posted at 2016-6-2 18:27
It will discharge 3 batteries to 50% simultaneously but will only charge one at a time starting wi ...

Is that not because the batteries discharge themselves ?
2016-6-2
Use props
Cale262
lvl.3

Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-6-2 12:40
Is that not because the batteries discharge themselves ?

You would think that DJI could program these batteries to do just that without the need for the hub, just a way to put the battery into discharge mode with maybe two quick presses and one long and away they go down to 50%...before you say it, I know you can set them in the app to discharge after x number of days but... If they did that you wouldn't need a $90 hub to initiate the discharge. That said I think the hub discharges them way faster than they discharge themselves alone.
2016-6-2
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sooo...my understanding is that the hub does NOT charge all 3 of them at the same time.  I didn't understand that on the P3's & I don't now on the P4...can maybe you explain why they did not allow for all 3 to charge at the same time?  It sure would make it go faster.
2016-6-2
Use props
visitkans
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80413 ft
United Kingdom

ProQuad Posted at 2016-6-3 04:29
Sooo...my understanding is that the hub does NOT charge all 3 of them at the same time.  I didn't un ...

Yes, the hub charges only one because the power source is the same 100w charger thats used with the hub, so parallel charging is not an option, even if they you tried charging all 3 in parallel with the same 100w, it would take more or less the same time as for 3 individually charged
2016-6-3
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>

visitkans Posted at 2016-6-3 17:25
Yes, the hub charges only one because the power source is the same 100w charger thats used with the ...

Visikans, makes sense now.  Thanks for your impute.
2016-6-3
Use props
never88winter
lvl.1

United States

plus if you charge all 3 at same time, the battery charger will diffently overhead and shut down. and i tried charging with on charger, and took about 3 hours and the 4th battery charged only 75% and the charger was sooooo hot! i took a tempture on it with a craftsmand infrared thermometer, the charger was over 140F  and was hot to the touch. and i didnt like that at all!

I got two hubs today, and it looks pretty nice, and i havent got a temp yet, because some of the 3 batteries on the hub were full or partially full. but love the idea i can leave and not keep comming back, to check on just one on ac charger! its a time saver. now i run around doing things or go to work and all 3 are charged.

right now i have 5 batteries and planning to get another to compete the series. and bout another ac charger.

as to a car charger version..... i will tell you now, if the car is off.... and you charge your battery its over and hour and still at 3 bars blinkin on battery meter. i dont know if its worth having. but keep checking here and i will test on the hub, with 3 batteries and give some numbers to play with  
2016-6-6
Use props
zanderlane2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2577828 ft
  • >>>
United States

...does anyone know for sure whether the unit has to be powered to initiate and continue the standard discharge process? I ask because I just put the battery in to discharge and it wasn't plugged in and the blue light is flashing as per usual...
2016-9-13
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

I highly recommend the Anbee Multi Battery Rapid Balance Charger. It's able to charge 3 batteries and the remote transmitter all at the same time. Even has a built-in fan to keep things cool every so often during charging. Great piece of kit, hasn't let me down yet.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FKH027S/ref=pe_1909131_77697001
2016-9-15
Use props
kejado70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39012 ft
Australia

Enkeixpress Posted at 2016-9-15 21:47
I highly recommend the Anbee Multi Battery Rapid Balance Charger. It's able to charge 3 batteries an ...

Yeah, I bought that one but isn't called an ANBEE on the site I got it from. Apart from that, it's identical and it's a humdinger. The only thing I had to do was take the top off and solder in an earthing wire from the power plug to the case, a simple job.

I have the DJI hub and I'm disappointed with it. I tried discharging three batteries yesterday, but it only did two. I had to wait until one batt was done then switch the third into its place.

This is my second hub as the first one was unable to accept the plug from the charger so I had to send it back for a replacement. What a drama THAT tuned into.

2016-9-15
Use props
peter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545377 ft
United Kingdom

I know this goes against the sentiments expressed here, but I'm very happy with mine. Does the job it was sold to do and, compared to unbranded stuff I occasionally suffer, the build quality is fine for the price.
2016-9-15
Use props
JWC P4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

peter@wonderlan Posted at 2016-9-16 09:25
I know this goes against the sentiments expressed here, but I'm very happy with mine. Does the job i ...

Agree... Mine was included in the deal.  It works fine.
2016-9-16
Use props
Enkeixpress
lvl.4
Flight distance : 297497 ft
United Kingdom

kejado70@tpg.co Posted at 2016-9-16 05:16
Yeah, I bought that one but isn't called an ANBEE on the site I got it from. Apart from that, it's  ...

You should make sure to purchase only the Anbee brand one. Their goods are known to work and perform sufficiently, and not malfunction for any reason. I have trust in them for good reasons.

I was going to purchase the DJI charging hub myself but decided against it as the price was far too high compared to the Anbee one. Charging multiple batteries at the same time with the Anbee one sounded awesome too.

I may pick up the DJI charging hub at some point, we'll see. For now though, the Anbee one is awesome, for its price.
2016-9-18
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

zanderlane2@cox Posted at 2016-9-13 13:28
...does anyone know for sure whether the unit has to be powered to initiate and continue the standar ...

In the manual "You can power on the intelligent flight batteries to discharge without having to connect it to a power source"..
2016-11-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules