WiFi loss when snapping a still photo
683 3 2016-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hjf
lvl.1

United States

I've had no other control loss issues (I usually just shoot video); but the other day, I tried snapping a single still photo; and I lost my WiFi connection to the P2V+. The odd part is that this was caused by the phone's WiFi shutting off. The aircraft wasn't far away, and I was able to visually bring it back, re-establish the connection, and send it off again.  Tried again - same thing.  As soon as I snap the photo, the phone's WiFi shuts off.  (FWIW, it's a Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phone.)

I have a project coming up where I need to send the aircraft about 500' offshore for some photos, so I'm more than a bit anxious about losing visual control. Yeah, the Home function would probably bring it back, but I don't want to rely on that or need to do it every time I take a picture. Otherwise, I have no problems with the aircraft or control.

Is this a common issue? Is there a solution?

TIA
2016-6-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

I run the same setup, never had any real problems apart from the odd app crash.
If you have not done so already, turn off mobile data on the S3, that stops the phone searching for a internet Wi-Fi connection.
I assume you have all the last updates on the V+ and camera ?
2016-6-2
Use props
hjf
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2016-6-2 14:18
I run the same setup, never had any real problems apart from the odd app crash.
If you have not done ...

I haven't updated anything since the initial installation; (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but I guess that'd be advisable at this point.  No, I hadn't turned off mobile data; I'll try that.  

I'm going to find a big open space this weekend, send it out 600' and take a still. I'll see how that goes before doing it over water.

Thanks.
2016-6-3
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Turning off mobile data on the S3 should work.
You don't have to update if you don't want to, but if you do, you need to update everything.
2016-6-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules