Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Where is the fix for Osmo Pan Drift?
3985 14 2016-6-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
emgsocialnetwor
lvl.1

United States

The fix is definitely not in the firmware update. The fix is definitely not in calibrating the gimbal. The fix is definitelty not in using a fully charged battery. This is bullsh......
2016-6-5
Use props
russell
New

United States

As far as I can tell there is no fix. There is another message thread in here where a DJI rep acts like's she's never heard of the problem (which is nonsense - everybody has heard of it!). I emailed support about it and got no reply. Apparently playing dumb so they can continue to sell cameras is their mode at the moment.
2016-6-5
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.3

United States

We have discussed it previously in a thread down below,  called Be weary of buying an Osmo unless you like a drift, and there's been other threads plus you should do a YT search on the subject.

So let's say it's a defect and they can't presently fix it. What to do? Bitch? I found through a lot of practice a technique, and I am not going to say it again for the sake of time, check the threads, but basically I compensate for the horizontal drift by slowing down sooner, twist my wrist, etc. so it stops where I want it to compositionally. Also, after being here about 6 weeks now I'd say a lot of these gripes are user error? For example, the manual states the gimbals must be unlocked in a certain order or you'll hurt them and have these posters already damaged their gimbals? I made a label to remind me of the order. Does the person griping recalibrate on a flat surface? Do they practice, practice, practice or do they expect smooth moves right out of the box? So it's hard to tell if they are expecting too much or haven't drilled into the Osmo and learned and practice?

I have found that tilt drift is trickier because we all want the right amount of head room so I am avoiding tilts until I figure it out. Posters complaining about yaw, I don't know about that and maybe have a lemon or already damaged their gimbals?

I have used it on two professional gigs as a freebie extra and wow, the clients are impressed. I am shooting car spots in mid June, the producer was very impressed with their previous DP in another city using a Porta Jib, so I am now practicing on a step ladder to do similar moves, so the h drift is a PITA but I believe I have mitigated it just by stopping the move sooner.

Good luck,

Ned
Chicago DP
www.nedmiller.com
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-6-6 02:02
We have discussed it previously in a thread down below,  called Be weary of buying an Osmo unless yo ...

Hello, Ned
Thanks for your kind comment.
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

This is a reported issue, our engineers would love to fix it ASAP if there's any feasible solution.
If there's any update, we'll keep you informed in our website.

Thanks for your understanding.
2016-6-5
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.3

Hi Adela,

How can I change the avatar of the drone to a photo? I don't use drones.

Thanks,

Ned
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-6-6 23:28
Hi Adela,

How can I change the avatar of the drone to a photo? I don't use drones.

Hi Chicago DP,
Do you mean the avatar of your account in this Forum? You know you can set your account's avator in "Setting" of your personal webpage.

Thanks.
2016-6-6
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.3

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-7 15:46
Hi Chicago DP,
Do you mean the avatar of your account in this Forum? You know you can set your acc ...

No, that doesn't work. When it states to upload a photo it does not activate.
2016-6-7
Use props
Dave A
lvl.3
United States

Unfortunately we're stuck until they can figure out how to fix it via the next firmware update. I returned my Osmo last week and the new one arrived yesterday. I'm going to test it out today and hopefully the new device I received will be in working/advertised order. It's frustrating to have a piece of equipment that has a load of potential but is quite useless with the current developer defects.

Chicago DP mentioned  how a user should be responsible for 'adjusting to the drift' which I find ridiculous.
If I bought a drone, I would expect it to fly. I shouldn't have to put my UAV on a jib to imitate an aerial shot. Same with the Osmo's horrible drift. A lot goes into cinematography, especially when executing a dynamic tracking shot. The last thing I should have to factor in is where the framing will end up because the Osmo will drift randomly on it's own.

I recently returned back from a trip in Hawaii where I mounted my Osmo to the hood of a car to grab some driving shots via DJI suction mount. The Osmo creeps left and right throughout most of the footage, even on straight/flat roads and at all MPHs. It's quite disappointing and I'm hoping the mass amounts of complaints will motivate DJI to make this a priority. No doubt it is negatively impacting their sales. I've personally recommend 3 people not buy an Osmo until they are able to produce a fully functioning unit. I'll also be seeking a full refund if the new Osmo I got yesterday has the same drift or other reported glitches.

I encourage people to voice their opinions until something is done to rectify the issue.
2016-6-7
Use props
jeffmoltenberry
lvl.1

United States

I come here everyday hoping for a surprise. "DJI fixed the drift/wobble/whatever you want to call it." If it doesn't get fixed in the next 30 days I'm probably selling this thing. Just frustrated with DJI engineers lack of and slowness in fixing known issues. Over 2 months since the last firmware update. Come on!
2016-6-7
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.3

United States

I was downtown at one of those hip, open space advertising agencies doing a typical talking head today. I brought the Osmo and while I was about to be given a tour I asked if I could bring it and do some "test footage". Good luck- there as an open space floor and a band was rehearsing for a party this evening and some dancers practicing and I started testing. I was mainly interested in how to avoid windows and I hadn't attached my Z Axis yet but the horizontal drift is there. However, I now have it set for Fast which I understand from the manual that the Osmo will react Fast to my movement. I do know not to try to whip the Osmo around, it likes a slow fluidity. I saw your comment Dave and I don't see a problem in predicting when the shot should end, after all, I have to do that with a regular dolly: Feather to an end point, so why not with the Osmo? I realize you're having issues regarding wanting to hyper lapse but regular shooting is a different animal.

I have had lately to recalibrate my horizon and I will now carry a level bubble. I was at the dog park yesterday doing testing and when I wanted to recalibrate I realized that I could not be assured anything was level, so I will bring a bubble from now on. Also, I need to work on exposure when it's intermittent clouds, my dogs are white and blew out.

But email these guys before you return the second unit. They may know settings and tricks that you haven't considered.

Good luck,

Ned
Chicago Videographer
www.nedmiller.com
P.S. Oh! Too bad, I thought you lived in Hawaii! But their helicopters are dangerous.

2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-6-7 20:38
No, that doesn't work. When it states to upload a photo it does not activate.

Hi,
About the avatar issue, please check the size and format of your picture, you may try different pictures. More attempts may be needed to upload it successfully.

Thanks.
2016-6-7
Use props
fansc7212251
lvl.3
Flight distance : 402552 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Adela Posted at 2016-6-5 20:16
This is a reported issue, our engineers would love to fix it ASAP if there's any feasible solution.
If there's any update, we'll keep you informed in our website.

Perhaps the fix can be made along the lines of "Active Track". Use the Active Track programming to get the Osmo to "track"  a static object in the scene, therefore keeping it from drifting.
Vint Ellis
Ellis Consulting
2017-11-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansc7212251 Posted at 2017-11-15 11:14
Perhaps the fix can be made along the lines of "Active Track". Use the Active Track programming to get the Osmo to "track"  a static object in the scene, therefore keeping it from drifting.
Vint Ellis
Ellis Consulting

We are sorry that Active Tracking is not available for Osmo and I don't think it will be added soon due to hardware limit.
If you have the drifting issue, any chance to upload a short video for analysis?
2017-11-16
Use props
BoxedSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115748 ft
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-16 00:20
We are sorry that Active Tracking is not available for Osmo and I don't think it will be added soon due to hardware limit.
If you have the drifting issue, any chance to upload a short video for analysis?

I also have an OSMO+ and have noticed many times with my OSMO+ just sitting in the base, and resetting the gimbal attitude to 0.0 pitch and 0.0 yaw, and within minutes, the yaw is way off and has drifted to the left or right several degrees. This is an issue that many people have been complaining about since 2016 and still no fix for this?? What gives??

Someone else mentioned about a specific order to unlock the gimbal or you will damage it... this is right from the OSMO+ manual:
* You can choose to unlock the gimbal before or after the Osmo+ is turned on. It is recommended to unlock the gimbal before powering on the Osmo+.
* The Osmo+ will beep slowly if the gimbal is locked after it is turned on. This means the camera is working normally but the gimbal is shut off.
* If you need to unlock the gimbal after it is turned on, you must rotate the pan motor to reactivate the gimbal.

So, as you can see, I don't think "improper" gimbal unlocking procedure is the cause of this "drifting" issue. that and the fact that so many other people are experiencing the gimbal drift problem...
2018-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules