DJI: P3P going into ATTI mode while having 18 satellites?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Hi DJI'ers who are reading along on this forum.

Weird thing happened today.

After flying through one battery, I got my P3P back, landed and switched batteries. When I turned on the RC, it keep beeping and the light was red. Battery was still around 83%, so that couldn't be the issue. Did a quick read on this forum on my iPhone but didn't see anything useful.

When I turned on my P3P, I still had the beep from the RC but suddenly it stopped and the light of the RC was green. So, I thought it was safe to fly.

Turned on the P3P by CSC, and took off. Immediately I thought it flew a bit different that a few minutes before. Suddenly I kept hearing "ATTI mode" over and over. This was weird as I was on the exact same place as where I flew through my previous battery (and also flew a while ago).

I just replayed the flight in the DJI GO app and I get the notification "No GPS signal" for a while. All that time to upper bar in the my screen displays that I had 17 or 18 satellites.
I managed to fly the P3P back to me and did a hand catch, and the "ATTI mode" sound signal stopped. At that time I also had to get going, so didn't fly after, but still it was weird.

Anyone has any idea how this can happen? I'm flying with all firmware and iOS versions I flew with many times before, and I never had this.

Thank you in advance!

BTW: I synced the flight records. It is the last flight, only 2 min. on June 5.
2016-6-5
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

I don't think that the remotes beeps and the crafts ATTI mode are related.

The beeps will happen if the remote is left on after several minutes of the craft being turned off. Solid red lights on the remote mean not connected to the craft.

The beeps can also happen if the sticks aren't center. The remote status will blink red in this case. I had this on one remote every time I started it up until I zeroed on the sticks in the Go app.

The ATTI mode can just happen during a flight when GPS lock is interrupted. You say that you saw the 17-18 count while replaying the flight in the Go app. Did you happen to see the count at the exact moments that your craft went into ATTI mode?

2016-6-5
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Thank you for reading, and for replying.

I believe the RC light was solid red, but I'm not entirely sure. It was a very sunny and warm day today, so the small RC light is not very bright.

I've just did another replay of the flight. At the moment the "No GPS signal" is displayed, I had 18 satellites.

Here's a screenshot of the replay on my iPhone. This is the moment where the notification first appeared, 24 seconds into the flight. Lasted until 50 seconds into the flight, so a total of 26 seconds:

Schermafbeelding 2016-06-06 om 00.52.37.png
2016-6-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-6 08:53
Thank you for reading, and for replying.

I believe the RC light was solid red, but I'm not entirely ...

DJI Go seems to give out occasional false alarms like that.
If you are concerned you can easily check the full flight data to see what the situation really was.
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

If you want any help with that, post a link to the analysis it provides.
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

You can rebind the aircraft (instruction manual in the app)
Let us know if it does it again, what firmware is the aircraft, RC on. And what version of the app and what device are you using?
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello sevadu, if you have synced your flight record, you can leave your DJI account (the email address) here. I will have a look at your record.
2016-6-5
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-6 09:58
Hello sevadu, if you have synced your flight record, you can leave your DJI account (the email addre ...

sevadu@hotmail.com

Thank you!
2016-6-6
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-6 01:35
DJI Go seems to give out occasional false alarms like that.
If you are concerned you can easily ch ...

Thank you. I'll await what Paladin can find out. Syncing my phone with my laptop and finding the logs takes some time, which I - unfortunately - don't have at the moment.
2016-6-6
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-6 02:13
You can rebind the aircraft (instruction manual in the app)
Let us know if it does it again, what fi ...

I can try the rebind if it happens again, thank you!

Firmware is not the most recent, as I'm not feeling comfortable updating after all stories I read. I'm on the same versions for a while because it works, and I like to keep it that way ;-)
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-6 18:40
I can try the rebind if it happens again, thank you!

Firmware is not the most recent, as I'm not ...

What's the drone's current fw version?
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

I've checked this record. The drone tried to switch to ATTI mode due to the magnetic interference at that time. But luckily it went normal later. Does the same issue happen again frequently in recent flights?
2016-6-6
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-6 13:14
I've checked this record. The drone tried to switch to ATTI mode due to the magnetic interference  ...

Thanks for checking! I've never experienced this before. As mentioned, just minutes before this happened, I flew around in the exact same spot for 16 minutes without any issue.

2016-6-6
Use props
DrawsWithLight.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-6 12:21
Thanks for checking! I've never experienced this before. As mentioned, just minutes before this ha ...

I had something similar when I took off from a roadway, I presume there was some reinforcing or metal work buried somewhere near which affected the compass?!
2016-6-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

The switch got moved to ATTI accidentally? As a note, your RC will beep on different errors with or without your smart device linked to your Phantom. A safety backup.
2016-6-6
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

rodger Posted at 2016-6-6 13:54
The switch got moved to ATTI accidentally? As a note, your RC will beep on different errors with or  ...

The switch was the first thing I checked when I heard "ATTI mode", but it was still on the correct mode.

No I have to find out which error it was that caused the RC to beep. Never heard that before.

Will try to fly again ASAP on a different location to see if all works as before. I was happy the craft regained GPS signal so I could hand-catch it. The terrain where I was, wasn't very suitable for a normal landing.
2016-6-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-6 09:01
The switch was the first thing I checked when I heard "ATTI mode", but it was still on the correct ...

On the unheard beeps I discovered those when I went to fly one day and the battery was dead in my tablet and I flew staying very close by. I heard them as the battery went low. They may have different patterns for different events?
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-6 21:01
The switch was the first thing I checked when I heard "ATTI mode", but it was still on the correct ...

You can update to the latest firmware and see if it still does it.
Without being on the latest firmware, there's not much I can do.
2016-6-6
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-6 09:01

An update for you. I had the same thing happen to me today except I didn't go in the drink. I had a fully charged battery lifted off and landed to speak to someone. Everything was left on and I let it set in the sun while talking for about 45 minutes. When I returned I had lost the connection to the Go program but I did take off and land again Once reconnected to the Go I had 35% battery left. I lifted off and the battery dropped sharply to 26% then !8% along with the low battery warning. I landed and had a Firmware update notice.
2016-6-6
Use props
04red6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5484997 ft
United States

I too have had my P3A pop up with a warning of no GPS and switch to attti. Looking at the tablet, I would have 14,16,18 satellites connected. It would switch back to GPS connected within 30 seconds. The flight logs would not show the GPS warning. I think it is a glitch in the matrix.
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-6 19:21
Thanks for checking! I've never experienced this before. As mentioned, just minutes before this ha ...

Thanks for your feedback. If it is convenient, feel free to post any testing result here. Besides, could you please tell me your drone's and RC's current fw version? Thank you.
2016-6-6
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-6 16:22
You can update to the latest firmware and see if it still does it.
Without being on the latest fir ...

I'm not feeling very comfortable updating after all I've read here. I'll try to have a test flight as soon as I can find some time. If all works properly, I'm going to stick by "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

So far this was the first and only time it happened, so I hope it was just a one-off issue.

Please don't feel offended by me going against your advice, I still do very much appreciate the help and contact of you guys on this forum!
2016-6-7
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

rodger Posted at 2016-6-6 21:33
An update for you. I had the same thing happen to me today except I didn't go in the drink. I had  ...

Could the heat and sun be a factor? Sunday was a very sunny and warm day here in NL, much warmer than other times I've flown.
2016-6-7
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-7 03:26
Thanks for your feedback. If it is convenient, feel free to post any testing result here. Besides, ...

I will! As soon as I have some time, I will find a location where I flew before and never experienced issues, and try again.
Then I will also check the FW, although it's not the latest. Everything is still on the versions I've always used without any problems.
2016-6-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-7 20:47
I'm not feeling very comfortable updating after all I've read here. I'll try to have a test flight ...

You are totally free to not update, I've always updated and have never had an issue although I know some have.
2016-6-7
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-7 13:48
Could the heat and sun be a factor? Sunday was a very sunny and warm day here in NL, much warmer t ...

A good question - KP index read on;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973052

2016-6-7
Use props
flydodom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321857 ft
United Kingdom

flydodom Posted at 2016-6-7 22:05
A good question - KP index read on;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1973052

also.....

http://www.bc.edu/research/isr/spaceweathereffects.html
2016-6-7
Use props
rodger
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-7 08:48
Could the heat and sun be a factor? Sunday was a very sunny and warm day here in NL, much warmer t ...

I think it is. It was sitting in the bright sunlight and on for quite a while. I shut it off and when I removed the battery it was HOT!! I think the same thing happened to you.
2016-6-8
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

Interesting, rodger and flydodom have 2 different reasons why this may have happened to me. Both those reasons may have coincidentally occurred at the same time/day. Those explanations are actually reassuring me that no crazy things are going on with my P3.

Thank you, guys!
2016-6-8
Use props
quanthonytrang
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Doesn't matter how many sats you have, the P3 and P4 will switch to ATTI the moment the compass goes skitz. Why? its getting confusing and contradictory data and hence switches into ATTI to prevent a flyaway and give the users a way to take control of the bird.
2016-6-8
Use props
sevadu
lvl.2

Netherlands

I had some time yesterday, so I went to a place where I thought not much harm could be done in case things went wrong. Flew for 37 minutes in total, with a combined distance of a little over 9km, and max. distance of 815m.

All went fine, no issues. I guess (and hope!) Sunday was just a one-off incident.

Thanks to everyone for the replies here!
2016-6-10
Use props
ganolan
lvl.1
United Kingdom

sevadu Posted at 2016-6-10 15:03
I had some time yesterday, so I went to a place where I thought not much harm could be done in case  ...

I was flying my p3 std on the beach yesterday. There is a wind farm about half a mile away. The iPhone kept saying "atti mode" repeatedly, every time it did this the drone performed a little jiggle in the breeze. At one point the wind took it away and I had to fly it back in atti mode. The display was occasionally warning me of magnetic interference.

When it was doing it I thought it was maybe going into atti mode because the breeze was blowing it away from its GPS location? I've only done about 10 flights so still learning
2016-7-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules