mp4 files - any change since last P3 Firmware update?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 337953 ft
United Kingdom

Hi
I seem to have an issue suddenly with the .mp4 format since the last Firmware upgarde to the Phantom3 Pro. The Android tablet I have used for control no longer is able to  replay the .mp4 videos from the 'Files' directory when the sd cared is inserted.The VLC media player does not play them either . I get the initial frame shown  -  the progress bar indicates the video is running but no picture. This is not  confined to one tablet. Inserting the sd card from the P3 into another Android device results in the same. If I extract the sd card and read it in my desktop, the .mp4 plays normally -  previously it did not matter which platform was used.

I have just bought a Sony tablet -  it has greater processing power for  videos than the Samsungs and the .mp4's play OK on that.

However, having just used this on a video shoot, I am now trying to  edit the resultant files and the video editor programme only just handles them - the video  preview is very slow and jumpy making editing difficult. This is  the same effect I experienced on the other files shot subsequent to the upgrade but using a different tablet for control.

I note that these problems did not exist before the P3 firmware upgrade to Ver 1.08. If I replay the files taken prior to this date the editor is happy and works at the normal speed and the earler mentioned Samsung tablets have no issues either.

Any ideas please, basically, has anyone else experienced a similar problem with the .mp4 format since upgrading the firmware? I wonder if the .mp4 format has sub formats -  like the old TIFF files where some Tiffs could be read and others not, if so has the upgrade changed the .mp4 slightly causing issues?
2016-6-5
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just a guess .... are you sure you are looking at .mp4 files?
Updates tend to reset to default settings, which could make your Phantom record in .mov format father than .mp4.
Your hardware/software probably would play mov files if the file associations were fixed up.
Or get VLC media player and it will play just about anything.
And you can go into the settings and reset to save your videoa as mp4.
2016-6-5
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-6 08:13
Just a guess .... are you sure you are looking at .mp4 files?
Updates tend to reset to default setti ...

Hello, Yes thanks, I discovered that one a while ago and confirm my default was set to .mp4 -  even though it had changed to  MOV. Interestingly, I have just replayed one of the .mov files in the video editor and that too has the same jumpy results.

I have checked there are no  updates for the video editor and am thinking I might need to  reload it to  see if that helps, however, as I had the issues with the tablets and mp4's I am thinking the problem is at the recording stage..
2016-6-5
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello aeroglenltd , the latest firmware 1.8.8 doesn't change anything of the mp4 files' recording or storing. If the original files can be played and edited normally on your computer, it is probably related your tablet. You can reinstall the player or editor app to try again.
2016-6-6
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-6 11:42
Hello aeroglenltd , the latest firmware 1.8.8 doesn't change anything of the mp4 files' recording or ...

HI  Paladin

OK Many  thanks  I  guess that  answers the question in one way but does not regarding the video editor on my desktop which happily works with the MP4's from my Phantom Vision 2+ and all others but not the latest MP4 files from the Phantom 3 Pro. I guess I shall have to try other avenues.

Thanks for  clarifying the basic question  though,

Regards
GLN
2016-6-6
Use props
Flight Raptor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

aeroglenltd@aol Posted at 2016-6-6 08:45
HI  Paladin

OK Many  thanks  I  guess that  answers the question in one way but does not regardin ...

I personally like to use the MX Player for Android.....this has supported filetypes (including MOV) that many other players do not.  It is free on PlayStore.
2016-6-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

aeroglenltd@aol Posted at 2016-6-6 22:45
HI  Paladin

OK Many  thanks  I  guess that  answers the question in one way but does not regardin ...

Is the problem that you are now looking at 4K video files which are just too big for old equipment to handle?
Shoot in 1080p video and see if that makes a difference.
2016-6-6
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-6 23:28
Is the problem that you are now looking at 4K video files which are just too big for old equipment ...

HI  No, I am shooting at 1080 as the 4K cannot be played on most mobiles -  only my desktop anyway!
2016-6-7
Use props
aeroglenltd
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-6 15:25
I personally like to use the MX Player for Android.....this has supported filetypes (including MOV ...

THanks for that I shall remember that option. Still strange though the new files from my P3 do not play on the older equipment when ones from the same drone did work before. That was my reason for thinking maybe the firmware upgrade had upset things. Clearly that is not the case and so I still have a mystery...
2016-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules