How to upload 360 panoramas to Skypixel?
9713 14 2016-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PhotoMu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122001 ft
United States

So I've become pretty good at making panoramas -- with both DJI Go and the Litchi app.  I'm pretty good now at creating fun tiny earth images.  
However, I don't know how to upload my panoramas to places like SkyPixel to turn them into 360 virtual panoramas.  When I try to upload, I get messages like "please make sure the aspect ratio of your panorama in pixel width and height is 2:1"

I've looked around and can't find any tutorials about how to properly format my panoramas specifically for sites like SkyPixel.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm using Microsoft ICE to create my panormas.  I assume I choose stereographic...but every option I try seems to fail when I upload to SkyPixel

Thanks much!

2016-6-6
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The short answer is:
Use the Spherical projection
Copy the panorama onto a blank canvas with the height = 50% of the width
Hand paint the missing sky detail
Reduce the image size to 8000x4000
Submit
2016-6-6
Use props
PhotoMu
lvl.1

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-7 06:26
The short answer is:
Copy the panorama onto a blank canvas with the hei ...

Thanks so much!  I will try that!!
2016-6-6
Use props
PhotoMu
lvl.1

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-7 06:26
The short answer is:
Copy the panorama onto a blank canvas with the hei ...

I've tried this several times and am beginning to see where I'm messing up.  It seems difficult to believe that I need to hand-paint around 30% of the image (half the sky)_.  I've looked at so many examples from others, and while I think they're retouching some, it just doesn't see like they're painting so much of the sky.  Maybe I'm still doing something wrong lol
2016-6-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

PhotoMu Posted at 2016-6-9 12:57
I've tried this several times and am beginning to see where I'm messing up.  It seems difficult to ...

You can't photograph the upper sky with the Phantom because the camera just won't angle up far enough and you are in propeller territory if you could.
Because I've done some that didn't have much sky to begin with, only having to paint 30% of the image sounds pretty good to me.
I've seen that some also "cheat" by splicing a sky from another image but that adds other issues making things look right.
2016-6-8
Use props
PhotoMu
lvl.1

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-9 13:26
Tou can't photograph the upper sky wit the Phantom because the camera just won't angle up far enou ...

Yeah, after haven't given it some thought, I figure splicing end another Sky would be my best bet. Thanks :-)
2016-6-9
Use props
mikeon
lvl.4
United States

I wish Skypixel would allow you to limit how high the viewer can scroll upward.  I use PTGui to stitch my spherical panoramas and it has this ability using the Publish to Website command.  Downward tilt limit of -90° and upward tilt limit of +30° seems to work well.  But the output from PTGui Publish to Website is a format not usable with Skypixel.  If you don't want to see a blank sky or fake sky, just don't look  up there.  
2016-6-9
Use props
davidson_g
First Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

mikeon Posted at 2016-6-9 12:09
I wish Skypixel would allow you to limit how high the viewer can scroll upward.  I use PTGui to stit ...

Theres the option of using a SLR camera with a fisheye lens to take a panorama of the sky before or after the flight and use that as the "fake" sky to blend into the drone panorama.
2016-6-9
Use props
PhotoMu
lvl.1

davidson_g Posted at 2016-6-9 20:17
Theres the option of using a SLR camera with a fisheye lens to take a panorama of the sky before o ...

That is an even better idea. I usually carry a fisheye with me... In fact, I should just create a personal gallery fisheye Sky Images for this exact purpose. Thanks for the awesome suggestion
2016-6-9
Use props
davidson_g
First Officer
Flight distance : 263465 ft
United Kingdom

PhotoMu Posted at 2016-6-9 16:47
That is an even better idea. I usually carry a fisheye with me... In fact, I should just create a  ...

You're very welcome!
2016-6-9
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

I'm struggling a bit with 360 pano's. Using ICE, and i just can't get it to not cut off the edges of my panorama. Hopefully this pic below helps - just can't resize it any smaller than what it is so that it encompasses the whole pano; what am i doing wrong?!?!

2018-3-9
Use props
dronebj
lvl.1
Flight distance : 706965 ft

Face-AcheNZ Posted at 2018-3-9 19:06
I'm struggling a bit with 360 pano's. Using ICE, and i just can't get it to not cut off the edges of my panorama. Hopefully this pic below helps - just can't resize it any smaller than what it is so that it encompasses the whole pano; what am i doing wrong?!?!

[view_image]

This is not an issue. Those grid lines you're seeing in the 2nd step are just guidelines for the projection. In th next step, "crop", you'll be able to crop the picture to include the edges.
2018-7-15
Use props
Edward_Horvath
lvl.2
Flight distance : 560715 ft
United States

I have been trying for ever and cannot seem to get a proper pano completed.  Are there tutorials now?
2019-10-27
Use props
briarphotos
lvl.2
United States

No tutorials, and no tech support.........been trying for a month or more to get answers as to why a 360˚ pano taken with the Mavic Air 2, stitched with Adobe Lightroom Classic, formatted to 2:1 ratio will not work on the Skypixel site.......get no upload errors, get no warnings, just a long wait for "Processing" then a failed message when I try to view it.  Funny thing, the pano was taken just a few hours apart from another one that was processed the same way, with the same drone and software, and it uploads and works fine.  If you ever find a good source for post processing and uploading, please let me know!
2022-11-23
Use props
cheddarman
lvl.2

United Kingdom

This seems to be an ongoing issue that DJI are just not interested in!
I've been trying to get some results for years without success.
I'm now on SKYPIXEL but still can't get things to work.
Their Upload asks for a 360º Pano image.
Where does one find that?
2023-5-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules