Osmo deleted previously recorded files on microSD card
6633 37 2016-6-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cml.carmen
New

United States

I have been using this Osmo for a while and nothing happened until yesterday when I used it for a shoot.

The video files were recorded to the microSD card but as I recorded new video clip, I looked in the playback at some point and I noticed that the osmo has deleted the previously recorded files. I then saw that all of the footage files in the DJI Go app's library. So I didn't pay much attention about this and thought that it was just a playback feature issue in the app and thought all files were there on the card. When I went back home and put in the SD card to reader, only 12 files remained. Looked to me that the camera spontaneously deleted the recorded files and only kept 12 files throughout the day. Found that the DJI Go app kept the files in library were in videocache folder in a super pixelated and low-res small files. So the recorded files were actually being deleted from the SD card.

I frantically looked for support and researched about the issues, seems like quite some DJI users (not just osmo, but the Phantom users too) experienced this issue. It didn't look like the files being written on the card were corrupted because of turning on / off without finishing off writing because they did appear in the playback folder but I just didn't catch the glitch that as I recorded new files the camera was deleting other files. Card was used before on the osmo and this is the first time having such problem. Has anyone encountered this and how did you retrieve the files? Or is it even possible to retrieve the files that are NOT shown on my card now?

If the files were not written or finished correctly, how would they appear in the playback in the first place?  And how could it even be possible if the camera bypassed recording the video files to the microSD card and just recorded in the library without error warning or acting normally like how it records as usual?  I did some data recovery on the microSD card but no luck yet.

Very pissed and frustrated.....if DJI could help resolve this issue / explain what exactly had happened.  Card has enough memory, used with the same osmo just a few days ago and never had such problem, operations were all the same and the camera didn't appear to be malfunctioning at all when it was in use.

2016-6-6
Use props
Chicago DP
lvl.2

United States

I did a Google search of: "dji erasing files on card" and no one else seems to have had this problem. Please supply us with some links to confirm this has happened to others as you say. It's a very serious accusation.

Thanks,

Ned
Chicago Videographer
www.nedmiller.com
2016-6-6
Use props
DJI-Adela
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hello.
Have you checked the room of your SD card?
If you display all the folders including the hidden folders in the SD card, what can you find?
Could you please show us the properties of your SD card?

Thanks.
2016-6-6
Use props
itsnizmo
New

United Kingdom

Did you get an resolution to this issue at all? I think i may be experiencing the same issue.
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

itsnizmo Posted at 2016-7-5 19:21
Did you get an resolution to this issue at all? I think i may be experiencing the same issue.

Hi, did you change to a different SD card?
2016-7-5
Use props
user198f1cc358
New

Qatar

I have the same issue. DJI.com tech support is useless. They asked me to reformat my sd card and stick it back agin.. sd card was fine. Only 16 out of the 100+ clips were there. By that time i realized i did a terrible mistake reformatting it. Stupid! All my 100+ clips GONE! SO FRUSTRATING. Let me know if you did recover anything.
2016-7-5
Use props
kevincalvez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 356591 ft
Italy

Same stuff happenend to me today!!!
I was shooting with the osmo first part of the afternoon, then switch my X5 to my inspire, thinking all my files would stay. Then in the evening I switched it back to the osmo to shoot more clips, still haven't emptied the sd card.
Then came night time, when I decided to transfer all the footage from the day.
Really really bad surprise, all I had left, was the last session of the osmo in the evening. All the shots from the osmo at the beginning of the afternoon and my inspire shot were gone.
All my video were on the dji go app, but they weren't on the sd card, so unusable...
Now, thanks to that glitch, I have to buy a software that will recover the deleted files from my sd card.
Please dji, look into this problem, I can't have to empty my sd card everytime I want to switch from the osmo to the inspire or vice verca.

Thank you
2016-7-16
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

kevincalvez@mac Posted at 2016-7-16 18:44
I was shooting with the osmo first part of the afternoon, then s ...

Hi, were the SD card fine when you used it before?

Would you please try a different SD card and try Osmo and Inspire switching again?
2016-7-17
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

user198f1cc358 Posted at 2016-7-6 01:32
I have the same issue. DJI.com tech support is useless. They asked me to reformat my sd card and sti ...

Would you please try a different SD card and try Osmo and Inspire switching again?
2016-7-17
Use props
marc6
lvl.1

I am also encountering the same problem.
I went out four days ago and when I got home only 3 of 25 files were on the sd card. I went out the next day (different card) and recorded 8g with no problems.
Today I shot all day (with the card that had just worked perfectly) and when I check the playback only three clips were stored. I have lost two valuable days of footage and peoples time and am scared to use my OSMO. What can I do to retrieve these lost files? (Both cards have not been used since.) And how do I go about fixing my OSMO so I can use it again? This is very troubling.
2016-7-23
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

marc6 Posted at 2016-7-23 16:41
I went out four days ago and when I got home only 3 of 25  ...

Hi, please contact support@dji.com and send your Osmo for repair, we'd also try to recover your data.
2016-7-25
Use props
marc6
lvl.1

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-26 14:49
Hi, please contact  and send your Osmo for repair, we'd also try to recover your data.

Thank you. I have sent an email to the linked address.
I appreciate your time.
2016-7-26
Use props
photomemax
New

i have this same problem. i found them when i goto my phone and look in the editor. im trying to export just the files or put back on sd card. any help?
max
2016-8-1
Use props
photomemax
New

Chicago DP Posted at 2016-6-7 05:41
I did a Google search of: "dji erasing files on card" and no one else seems to have had this problem ...

i have this same issue just as he said. it just happened today. any help?
2016-8-1
Use props
photomemax
New

marc6 Posted at 2016-7-24 04:41

any help? im having the same issue.
2016-8-1
Use props
DJI-H.C
Administrator

photomemax Posted at 2016-8-2 13:14
i have this same issue just as he said. it just happened today. any help?

Hi, did you use the SD card on other devices, for example, you Android phone, before you use it on your Osmo?

If you did, you might forget to format the SD card before you put it in Osmo, the files in the SD card established by Android phone will cause confusion of the Osmo, so the file is lost sometimes.

Just make sure you format the SD card when you put it on Osmo from other devices.
2016-8-2
Use props
photomemax
New

i can see the videos that got deleted. they moved to my editor on my app. is there a way to extract the videos? i used a new card and formatted it.
2016-8-2
Use props
kevincalvez
lvl.1
Flight distance : 356591 ft
Italy

DJI-H.C Posted at 2016-7-18 08:47

Would you please try a different SD card and  ...

Problem has been resolved. I think it was a upgrading issue. After I finally upgraded both Osmo and Inspire, that problem wasn't longer an issue. So I tried to record on osmo, then switch to inspire and record, and the osmo files were still on the SD card.

2016-8-16
Use props
fansf7b94f39
New

Taiwan

I can't believe exactly the same problem happened to us!
What we lost are our wedding videos, the whole ceremony...the vows, the marching in, all gone!

We watched the recorded videos in the library in the first place and were sure they did exist,
but that night when we tried to transfer the files into the computer,
we found only 8 files left in the SD card.
It seemed former recorded files were randomly replaced by new ones.
We couldn't find any deleted files in the memory card, and after we ran data recovery, there are still no trace of the missing files!   

The card had always been used only for the same osmo. We never put it in other devices.
Memory is enough, no error warning while operating the osmo.
We never experienced any problem using osmo. We just couldn't believe what had happened until we found this thread.
This is a big trouble!   

Has anyone here successfully restored the deleted files?
These missing films are very very important to us.
Please let us know if there's any way, ANY way to get them back.
2016-11-11
Use props
hugoxalapa
New

Mexico

marc6 Posted at 2016-7-23 14:41

I have this exact same problem. {:4_154:}
2016-11-20
Use props
fanse1ece5b6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Same problem with me. It deletes all files except the last ones recorded. Osmo has also a funny way of putting the wrong date on some files. And how can it be that DJI support recommends to not use the SD card on other devices? I mean, seriously?? SD is like a small hard drive, and I exchange these cards constantly with no issues except on the Osmo. I expect a solution by DJI!
2017-1-15
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

fanse1ece5b6 Posted at 2017-1-15 11:47
Same problem with me. It deletes all files except the last ones recorded. Osmo has also a funny way of putting the wrong date on some files. And how can it be that DJI support recommends to not use the SD card on other devices? I mean, seriously?? SD is like a small hard drive, and I exchange these cards constantly with no issues except on the Osmo. I expect a solution by DJI!

Hi, if you used the SD card on other devices before, please format the SD card before putting it on Osmo. Thank you.
2017-1-15
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-1-15 19:54
Hi, if you used the SD card on other devices before, please format the SD card before putting it on Osmo. Thank you.

Thank you Thor. So I assume you recommend to use a particular SD card only for the OSMO and never on other devices?
2017-1-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

fivetonine Posted at 2017-1-16 01:19
Thank you Thor. So I assume you recommend to use a particular SD card only for the OSMO and never on other devices?

You don't have to, just remember to format the SD card if it's used on another device before.
2017-1-16
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
  • >>>
Austria

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-1-16 22:12
You don't have to, just remember to format the SD card if it's used on another device before.

Okay I will keep that in mind! Thanks.
2017-1-17
Use props
fans4a273d3d
New

India

In order to get back data from memory card you need a professional Memory card recovery tool. This tool will allow you to get back all types of data without need of any backup. It is suggested to apply this once, and make your data back:
2017-1-20
Use props
blc_films
New
United States

So I am posting this here for any user who may experience the potential nightmare I did last night. After recording all my footage from a weekend of paid events, I inserted my sd card into the computer to back up my files to my hard drive. In the middle of the files transferring, I experienced a random unknown error that forced me to discontinue the transfer process and recommended me I re-format my card. THIS IS WHERE I KNEW SOMETHING TERRIBLE WENT WRONG. So I took the sd card out and reinserted it again and lo and behold the computer wouldnt even open any files before it advised that I format my card. Thats when I started to get in panic mode. I was in communication with dji support for over 30 mins trying to work through it...putting my sd card back into my osmo in an attempt to download the original files to my phone but no luck; the osmo even said no sd card. I even tried plugging a mini usb to the osmo to extract anything I could but no cigar. I cried my eyes out thinking how I was gonna explain to my paid clients how I lost their hd footage after support realized they had tried everything on their end to assist me and to no avail. I began searching data restore functions on my computer to see if I could somehow retrieve it that way and I came across the "chkdsk" function used for command prompt that allows you to check your sd card for any unknown errors. After running it, all 22 GB of my files were restored!!!! Hope this helps somebody because I came here to see if a post could help me and none was here. So here's for the record.
2017-5-9
Use props
fans83cc1767
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-23
Use props
djiuser_VP7bND8
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi there,

I have an issue with my Osmo+ where if I change resolution in the app or switch the Osmo off it deletes all the files. I have to transfer all the files onto my laptop from the SD card every time I switch the Osmo off. Very annoying! I've tried doing a firmware update to the latest version but it wouldn't do the update. Also, when I look in the app to see what firmware it's running it says "unknown".

Please help..
2017-7-11
Use props
fans3a17ef11
New
United States

I just lost over 100 clips from a very expensive vacation. Every time you power the Oslo off and turn back on, the camera starts recording again clip 001, erasing the previous clip with the same number. 5 days of footage, over 100 clips, multiple priceless locations replaced by the new clips. Came back with only 22 clips. I call DJI and they tell me "they have never heard of this issue". Really? I told tech support not to insult my intelligence and just Google the problem. This is the most frustrating thing that can happen to any videographer. You purchase a camera and assume that when you click record, you WILL have your footage saved.  I can't trust this camera which I've only owned for 1 month. Waste of money!!!!!
2017-11-4
Use props
weylin_rose
New

United States

Same problem here, OSMO deleted all of the previous clips today with clips from the end of the day... very disappointing. These recurring problems with DJI's media management/security that occurs across multiple platforms (I've heard reports now from I2, I1, multiple generations of Phantoms, and Osmo) are very frustrating and disappointing.
2018-2-5
Use props
Cristiana
New

Portugal

I just had the same problem now with my Mavic Pro.
This is so frustrating. After a weekend travel, I came home and only have 4 files from a bunch of clips. I connected everything just here on my desk and basically the app/drone (whatever that is) deletes the previous files once the drone gets restarted and replaces them with new footage. This is the first time this happens in one year using this drone and using this exact same SD Sandisk card. Latest firmware was installed before flying it. Everything was ready to go and there was no way this could go wrong. But it did. It does. If I turn the drone on and start recording in the app, it will automatically delete the previous footage and only show this last "session". Unbelievable.

How can we solve this, DJI?

I just feel like this is huge waste of money and time and effort and now I can't trust this camera anymore!

I am now running RescuePro software from SanDisk and see if it can recover the previous files.
2018-3-18
Use props
Outamyhead
lvl.1

Ukraine

Backups would have helped in this case. Go to the WEBsite of the card manufacturer. Many offer recovery software and advice on the situation. You can try to search the web for something freeware or shareware https://www.cleverfiles.com/help/sandisk-recovery-software.html Good luck. Please let us know if you are able to recover your files and what worked the best for you.
2018-3-20
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

Nowadays I have Osmo+, but I had an Osmo in the past, and fortunately, I didn’t face any similar issues. I usually don’t switch SDCards between devices.

But I notice that sometimes there are some recorded videos on DJI Go App that I didn’t recorded on purpose. At first, I thought I pressed something and recorded by mistake. That videos weren’t saved on SDcards (I could see the videos only on DJI Go app). It seems that Osmo+ recorded videos on DJI Go App even if I have not set to record.

2018-3-20
Use props
Son Sai
lvl.1

The same thing happened to me today! We shot tons of videos during our holiday in south of france, and when I got home to transfer the videos to my Mac, all of the videos are gone! I don't recall reformatting my sd card. I played back the last few videos in the app and was confident that they were all safely saved in my sd card as well. But not even one was saved!!! At first I thought that I had a faulty sd card but then through my research, it seems that it's a DJI-related problem! I have had my OSMO+ for a year now and this has just happened. The only difference that I did this time is I started to shoot my videos in 4K. There must be a glitch in the software that prevents it to retain 4k videos. Now like the others here, I have had to spend for a recovery data software and even so, not all of them were recovered!
2018-4-24
Use props
SashB
New

Same problem here, very frustated. Is there any solution?
2018-10-12
Use props
SashB
New

Same problem here, very frustated. Is there any solution?
2018-10-12
Use props
EyeSystem
New

Brazil

kevincalvez@mac Posted at 2016-7-16 14:44
I was shooting with the osmo first part of the afternoon, then switch my X5 to my inspire, thinking all my files would stay. Then in the evening I switched it back to the osmo to shoot more clips, still haven't emptied the sd card.
Then came night time, when I decided to transfer all the footage from the day.

hey! how did you get your lost files back? it seems like the inspire replace the osmo data and then when I came back to osmo it replace the inspire data here... most of the videos has the create time and modification time different...
2018-11-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules