Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CSC In Mid-Air - Flight Simulator
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skipilot1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1557398 ft
United States

I have read some threads in the past of people who have crashed their drones and their flight info showing they performed a CSC command. The question came up as to whether the drone could be restarted in mid-air. Obviously, no one in their right mind is going to experiment with their bird.

Today I was playing with the flight simulator and it can be restarted but their are a few caveats that probably make it unlikely you will be able to rescue it.

On the simulator, I tried several times from 400 feet. I hit the CSC command and it started falling pretty quick. I then hit the CSC command again but did not think to raise the bird.

After several attempts of hitting the CSC, restarting and hitting the accelerator I was able to avoid crashing.

So here is what I've learned:

1. Don't hit the CSC command ever unless your bird is on the ground.

2. Restarting would be nearly useless unless you have practiced this over and over and you are way above 400 feet.

3. You would probably lose between two and four hundred feet of altitude before you even realized what you had done.

4. You would definitely lose several hundred more feet after hitting another CSC command before you would think to push the throttle all the way up.

5. You need another 50 or so feet for the drone to reverse its direction.

6. Practice this maneuver on the flight simulator until it becomes second nature.

7. Your odds of recovery are very small as you will never admit to yourself that you hit the CSC command in the first place.

8. It was fun figuring this out but I hope it never happens to any of us.
2016-6-6
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

I have tried this several times in the sim as well. I think the lowest that I was able to recover was about 250 feet. It takes some very fast fingers to do CSC, restart and then max throttle. Maybe someone with the disposable income can do it in the air and record it???
2016-6-6
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

As a supplement, I will never practice this again as I am afraid that I may get confused sometime and pull a CSC while the bird is actually flying. It is probably a good idea not to develop that muscle memory.
2016-6-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

And who is to say it will actually perform the way it does in the sim?
2016-6-6
Use props
MrPinaColada
Second Officer
Flight distance : 790082 ft

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-6-7 09:41
And who is to say it will actually perform the way it does in the sim?

That's what I was thinking. The phantom itself is top heavy sk it would immediately flip over making the attempt to restart through CSC useless
2016-6-6
Use props
Gabe R
Second Officer

MrPinaColada Posted at 2016-6-7 09:53
That's what I was thinking. The phantom itself is top heavy sk it would immediately flip over maki ...

even if it flips upside down it should know that its upside down and the motors should correct its self. Theres a video somewhere out there that shows a guy holding a phatom 2 almost nearly upside down in his out stretched arm, drops it and it barely hits the ground but it does right its self.
2016-6-6
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.4

South Korea

I was wondering the same thing yesterday.

But if you're flying at 1600 feet, I guess you can save it?
2016-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules