Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Litchi v. Autopilot
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skipilot1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1557398 ft

I am starting to get enough experience that I am thinking about Litchi or Autopilot.

Has anyone used both and have any kind of comparison?

2016-6-7
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Flight distance : 300761 ft
Canada

I got Autopilot last week but haven't had the opportunity to try it out. I have planned a mission offline. I have to say, the app has a huge feature set. If you can think it, it'll probably do it. The complexity comes at the cost of a steep learning curve. I've never been shy about learning new things so it kinda suits me. I can see how it might not be for everyone and it costs a sawbuck more. Also, Androids need not apply, iOS only. That being said, I think one of the most powerful features, and probably the most complex, is "AIRSPACE". It provides a network connection for multiple devices and aircraft. This allows everything on the network to share GPS and BAROMETER telemetry in real time. So for instance you could have focus between 2 iOS devices and the focus would be between them. Because you can have multiple birds on the network, you could even set one or more phantoms to follow each other. There is also a whole suite of tutorials on YouTube.
2016-6-7
Use props
PhanFran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

As said, Autopilot has lots of features but a (very) steep learning curve.
I have both but use Litchi 95 % of the time, even for 'normal' flying and certainly for waypoint routes. There is a clear advantage of Litchi over Autopilot: Litchi will continue to fly and finish the preplanned flight when the connection with the RC is lost. This is frightening at first but when you see your aircraft safely coming back every time, even after minutes of 'disconnected' stage, you feel comfortable with Litchi's performance. Abn other plus for Litchi is that you can plan your missions on  any PC or Mac, save it to the cloud and upload it to your Android or IOS device before flying it. That's an other feature that Autopilot doesn't have.
2016-6-7
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2016-6-7 11:56
I have both but use Litch ...

While I totally agree that most people would rather spend time in the air, rather than studying manuals. I feel I should point out that LCMC, the ability to complete a mission while out of TX contact, is I believe, a function of the DJI flight controller. This is not unique to Litchi and Autopilot also has this capability. It is true that Autopilot uses a custom flight controller that runs from the iOS device. And because of this, needs to maintain TX contact. That being said, Autopilot can activate the LCMC on the DJI flight controller but loses some of the coolest features. It will fly more like Litchi than like Autopilot. It also supports importing KMZ/KML files directly from a PC/MAC so offline flight planning is also doable. The feature set was why I chose it, and possibly 90% of the flyers don't care about the extras. That's OK too!
2016-6-7
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

So either Litchi or Autopilot are safe and being able to complete a mission when disconnected from RC then RTH afterwards? Just to be sure. Cheers.
2016-6-7
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

vandruten Posted at 2016-6-7 14:43
So either Litchi or Autopilot are safe and being able to complete a mission when disconnected from R ...

If I understand the manual correctly, yes. Here is an excerpt from the manual.

Warning By default Autopilot uses a Custom Flight Controller that executes on the iOS Device. This means that Lost Connection Mission Continuation (LCMC) is not enabled by default and if the aircraft loses connection during a Waypoint Mission, it will automatically initiate the Return-to-Home failsafe assuming it is enabled in DJI GO. You can enable LCMC but Autopilot will be forced to use the DJI flight controller, which means certain unique features will be disabled. These features will be disabled even while the aircraft is still connected because it is only possible to use one flight controller per engagement.

Unique Features
While the DJI SDK offers a basic implementation of Waypoint Mode for third-party developers, it has several key limitations, particularly around the Flight Path and Focus Stratgies. Since Autopilot uses a Custom Flight Controller, we are able to side-step these limitations and offer many features that are unique to Autopilot.
2016-6-7
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

soundbyte58 Posted at 2016-6-8 05:22
If I understand the manual correctly, yes. Here is an excerpt from the manual.

Warning By default ...

Thanks for the response. It is getting clearer now with Autopilot.

One more question please. In order for Autopilot to initiate LCMC in an event of RC connection lost, then which (RC connection lost) action/response do we have to choose in the Go app before we switch to Autopilot? RTH, hover or landing? I can't seem to find any information in forums or on their website.

Thank you!
2016-6-7
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

vandruten Posted at 2016-6-8 06:38
Thanks for the response. It is getting clearer now with Autopilot.

One more question please. In or ...

I haven't had Autopilot long enough to put it to the test but personally, I think I would set to RTH. There are probably other reasons why you might want to hover or land. I just can't think of them. If I'm flying a waypoint mission, I want my phantom on mission, or coming home.
2016-6-7
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

PhanFran Posted at 2016-6-8 02:56
I have both but use Litch ...

So as I understand it so far, if Litchi is on a waypoint mission and it loses connection with the RC (say because of low altitude), it will continue its mission. However, will the low battery function still work? When it hits the low battery point will it abandon its mission and initiate an RTH or continue even if it means running out of power?
2016-6-7
Use props
jameswarden
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I struggled for ages deciding between the and eventually bit the bullet on litchi , this is what I got from it today
2016-6-7
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

soundbyte58 Posted at 2016-6-8 07:03
I haven't had Autopilot long enough to put it to the test but personally, I think I would set to R ...

That's what I meant. The lost-connection setting in the Go app in order to make Autopilot initiates LCMC in the event of connection-lost.
2016-6-7
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-6-8 07:10
So as I understand it so far, if Litchi is on a waypoint mission and it loses connection with the  ...

Yea this is a vital question
2016-6-7
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

soundbyte58 Posted at 2016-6-8 07:03
I haven't had Autopilot long enough to put it to the test but personally, I think I would set to R ...

That's what I meant. The lost-connection setting in the Go app for Autopilot to initiate LCMC.
2016-6-7
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

jameswarden@bti Posted at 2016-6-8 07:11
I struggled for ages deciding between the and eventually bit the bullet on litchi , this is what I g ...

I am still struggling now
2016-6-7
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-6-7 17:10
So as I understand it so far, if Litchi is on a waypoint mission and it loses connection with the  ...

I don't think so. I believe it disables all the fail safes, smart return included. Once in LCMC mode is activated do to a signal loss there is no turning back. So it is up to you to make sure the battery has enough juice. I think this is the same for any other app using the DJI SDK.
2016-6-7
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

Nice flight James - and an interesting location.  Love the smoothness of rotation whilst flying the path to the start of the orbit.
2016-6-7
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3
United States

soundbyte58 Posted at 2016-6-8 10:15
I don't think so. I believe it disables all the fail safes, smart return included. Once in LCMC mod ...

So the answer is keep an eye on the battery and suspend the waypoint mission if it gets low. However, if you have lost the transmission signal, then you would not know the battery's status and you cannot initiate an RTH unless you suspend the waypoint mission which I assume you can do on the app.

How safe do you really feel about this? Will the mission just continue until the battery runs out?
2016-6-7
Use props
skipilot1
lvl.3

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-6-8 10:58
So the answer is keep an eye on the battery and suspend the waypoint mission if it gets low. Howev ...

Even if your waypoint mission says 12 minutes, what happens if a sudden headwind blows up or you have one cell go bad. Just about anything can happen. That is why DJI puts all that information at your fingertips and if you lose transmission it initiates an RTH, or if your battery doesn't act like it should (which happened to me on a flight where it started to drain rapidly), it notifies you and initiates an RTH.

It sounds like Litchi is a great app. However, nothing in these posts is creating a sense of confidence compared to the DJI app as regards .

Also, I am assuming you can suspend a waypoint mission in case of a transmission loss or that you can override the settings and increase altitude to regain the transmission signal. Is that right?

Can you use Litchi such that you can run a waypoint mission and automatically suspend is your battery hits its trigger point or your RC loses contact with your bird?
2016-6-7
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-6-7 20:24
Even if your waypoint mission says 12 minutes, what happens if a sudden headwind blows up or you h ...

The way I see it, without a radio connection there is no way to cancel anything. What you need to remember is that LCMC mode s for flying missions that may take you out of radio contact ie: flying behind a building or a hill. It's not meant to allow you to go so far that you can't get back before the battery dies. In spite of all the automation, we are the Pilot in Command and we are ultimately responsible for the safe return of our craft.

2016-6-7
Use props
PhanFran
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

skipilot1 Posted at 2016-6-8 04:58
So the answer is keep an eye on the battery and suspend the waypoint mission if it gets low. Howev ...

As far as I know, Litchi will continue untill Critical battery level is reached and will then land wherever it is.
I have used Litchi for many many missions though and this was never a problem, not even with a mission 8515 meters long. Of course you need a fully loaded battery and you need prudence: if you see the battery going down fast when you still have connection, then it would be wise to abort the mission.
An other minus for Litchi is that, due to the limitations of the DJI SDK, Litchi can NOT direct the gimbal angle when connection is lost. So, the mission continues and the waypoints are followed scrupulously and the camera is pointed in the right direction towards the POI that is selected: these data are sent to the AC before the Litchi mission starts. But the DJI SDK does not allow Litchi to send data for the gimbal angle to be saved to and/or executed by the AC when there is no connection during the mission.
This can result in a mission where your video or photographs are nice, in, the right direction and taken at the right angle of the gimbal, but once the connection is lost, the gimbal angle gets stuck at the value of the last setting before disconnection. If that angle happens to be 0 ° and one of your next POI's happens to be right under the AC, you won't see it, just an horizon.
2016-6-8
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

PhanFran Posted at 2016-6-8 01:43
As far as I know, Litchi will continue untill Critical battery level is reached and will then land ...

Yes, this would be true for any app that is using LCMC mode. It is not meant for flying a completely autonomous mission. It's there to keep short gaps in TX from interrupting the mission. I think a lot of people have the wrong idea of what they can expect with LCMC. This is the same with Autopilot.
2016-6-8
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

This is a great thread. Thanks guys for discussing this. I will keep an eye on this, while building the trust whether to use 3rd party apps or not. I just wish it would be easier or more intuitive it is on Go's waypoint mission.
2016-6-8
Use props
soundbyte58
lvl.2
Canada

vandruten Posted at 2016-6-8 16:11
This is a great thread. Thanks guys for discussing this. I will keep an eye on this, while building  ...

GO is a very rudimentary application of the waypoint function, and as such, will naturally feel easier to understand. It may be all you ever want or need. Also, with each iteration of the GO app, DJI keeps adding more functionality.
2016-6-8
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

soundbyte58 Posted at 2016-6-9 07:17
GO is a very rudimentary application of the waypoint function, and as such, will naturally feel eas ...

Great piece of advice. I think I got lazy and wanting to seek for "the easiest way to automation" {:4_177:}

From now on, I'll fly manual and practice, practice, practice!!

Cheers!
2016-6-8
Use props
fans1482262b
New
Italy

I was trying to use AP with Mavic Pro. but when the RC lost single AP simply disengaged the mission where it was and hovered. I had to RTH to get it back. It didn't continue. Gave me an error that telemetry information can't be determine disengage. Any ideas why it wouldn't continue. I have LCMC activated
2017-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules