Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
While Flying P3S "Strong Interference Detected"
30265 35 2016-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

So where I usually fly my P3S I sporadically get a "strong interference detected" while I'm flying...compass and everything else is always calibrated before flight. The strong interference detected will pop up maybe 2-3 times in a 5 minute span and it doesn't affect the phantom while it's in the air. Does this happen to anyone else? I haven't flown the drone too far away from me (usually keep it <40m away at any time, and don't usually fly at any height over 40m) and I'd like to slowly start pushing that boundary as I get more comfortable with flying, but at the same time I don't want to risk that warning to pop up and have the phantom start glitching or something.
If anyone has thoughts on this please feel free to share.

2016-6-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Where are you flying it at. There must be lots of metal around your flight area.
And you do not have any aftermarket accessories attached do you?
2016-6-8
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

That's something you get when flying in urban areas.
Get away from the city and you won't see it.
2016-6-8
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

Yeah I guess it must have to do with the area I'm in. There are a good number of houses around me. There are some trees around too but I've always maintained my distance and keep the phantom in a clear line path with my controller so there is no obstruction of any sorts
2016-6-8
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

And correct, no aftermarket accessories attached to the phantom
2016-6-8
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

Yup, I get it frequently on my P3P in many (but not all) urban areas. Just be careful and always be sure your craft can RTH safely if it totally loses signal with the remote.

That's part of what RTH is for.

Chris
2016-6-8
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

shayanza@usc.ed Posted at 2016-6-9 06:51
Yeah I guess it must have to do with the area I'm in. There are a good number of houses around me. T ...

It is recommended to test it again in some open areas. Feel free to post your result then.
2016-6-9
Use props
The Phantom DJ
lvl.2

United States

I frequently get this notification also when flying. Unfortunately getting away from urban areas not an option for some of us. You can't always drive 45 minutes out to the country every time you want to fly. The notification says be careful when flying long distances. I don't think flying 100-200 feet away or up would be considered long distance.
2016-6-9
Use props
Old Geezer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 23691 ft
United Kingdom

About a month back I got a "Too much interference to fly" warning and the motors refused to start.

I was trying to fly here - Boulmer Beach

I should have expected that to happen - hint - zoom out on the map and look about 600 metres inland from the beach  
2016-6-10
Use props
MrPinaColada
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790082 ft

Yep I get it all the time, unfortunately I'm not really close to open areas, and it's illegal to fly over open space where I live now {:4_173:}
2016-6-10
Use props
Basetau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1471824 ft
Australia

I have the same issue. I am flying in the open field. I flew in the country site and same problem. It does not affect flight performence though. Should I just ignore it?
2016-11-17
Use props
Imageten
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1192697 ft
United States

Flying in Vermont, very rural flying spot and I still get the interference message.  Turning Bluetooth off helps but doesn't solve the problem.  I would like to know just how far I can push it because the remote strength is full bars yet I get constant warnings.
2016-11-24
Use props
Aussieguy
New

United States

I also get the same interference messages while flying in the suburbs with my iPad mini 2 but if i change to my Samsung galaxy tab 4 i do not. What tablets or phones are you having the issue with?
2016-12-2
Use props
Basetau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1471824 ft
Australia

I am having same issue with my P3s. Tried in different areas. What I have noticed is it has no relationship with metal. Specially after the firmware update if you are in a area with more then one wifi signal available in your mobile phone it showed this error. Samsung galaxy s4 does not display this error but it showed in if you click the controller option from the top left hand side. This is a bug and not happening with every craft. While mine showing this problem after the update (1.7.9.0) my friends P3S does not show this error. DJI has to fix it either by increasing channel or other way.
2016-12-5
Use props
peter15
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38940 ft
Tanzania

I'm having the same issues and now am convinced its a software issue
2016-12-17
Use props
fans727218f7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11004 ft
United States

I get even worse than that depending on location. The latest update is supposed to fix that, but I haven't flown enough to find out.
2016-12-17
Use props
peter15
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38940 ft
Tanzania

I'm having similar issues with my P3S and i'm convinced it's a software issue, As I have flown the same areas as I have flown them before with no issues at all
2016-12-17
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

Me the same, 47 notices in a short 8 minute flight and it constantly goes across the screen and really puts you off the task in hand especially when using a small iPhone 6s screen. I am convinced it's this latest software. Can't wait for DJI to correct this. Quite a few have said to ignore it but be cautious but that is hard to do.
2016-12-18
Use props
fans5095e783
New

United States

My P3S gets tons of strong signal errros even through I have between 4-5 bars.   I'm using an IPhone 6.   

2016-12-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans5095e783 Posted at 2016-12-25 08:41
My P3S gets tons of strong signal errros even through I have between 4-5 bars.   I'm using an IPhone 6.

The answer is the same, there are hundreds of potential sources of radio interference in a city or urban area, get away from there out into the countryside and try it.
2016-12-24
Use props
Clipper_Driver
lvl.1

United States

I have had a few similar events, but got rid of them by leaving my cellphone some distance away. I fly with an iPad as the screen. Just FWIW.

2016-12-24
Use props
fans202e2638
lvl.1

United States

So since this is an issue with too much surrounding wifi interference I'm thinking a DBS range extender should help as it provides a stronger signal. Am I right?

If so, I'm thinking the "strong interferences" will still pop up just as often.
2017-1-16
Use props
fanse7d0eb29
lvl.1

United States

Imageten Posted at 2016-11-24 15:16
Flying in Vermont, very rural flying spot and I still get the interference message.  Turning Bluetooth off helps but doesn't solve the problem.  I would like to know just how far I can push it because the remote strength is full bars yet I get constant warnings.

I had mine about 10,000 feet it, but get the strong interference ever second for some reason. Just kept popping up. I was also near a radio tower, but urn sure if it's actually active
2017-1-16
Use props
adinserter .
New

United States

fanse7d0eb29 Posted at 2017-1-16 05:14
I had mine about 10,000 feet it, but get the strong interference ever second for some reason. Just kept popping up. I was also near a radio tower, but urn sure if it's actually active

OK, I see many with the same problem..so now lets get to  the technical part of it . DJI..what is the frequency of the interference. Have you messed up and made this feature broadband? Is the interference to the wifi signal..the 2.4 or to the 5.8 and wideband receiver issue? DJI please read this message and reply to an amateur radio operator ...... adinserter@gmail.com, if a good quality tech can answer the real issue.
2017-1-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

adinserter . Posted at 2017-1-16 16:13
OK, I see many with the same problem..so now lets get to  the technical part of it . DJI..what is the frequency of the interference. Have you messed up and made this feature broadband? Is the interference to the wifi signal..the 2.4 or to the 5.8 and wideband receiver issue? DJI please read this message and reply to an amateur radio operator ...... , if a good quality tech can answer the real issue.

If you are an amateur radio operator, then you should already know the answer. The aircraft operates in the unregulated 2.4 and 5.8Ghz radio bands which have no control exercised over them by the FCC or any other spectrum management organisation world-wide. All devices operate on the basis that they must be prepared to accept interference when operating in those frequencies. And the number of potential devices using those frequencies in an urban is staggering. Cordless phones, WiFi, Baby monitors, garage door remotes, car remotes, any radio controlled toy, remote doorbells, front door video systems, and so on.

The only remedial action you can take is to get out of the area.
2017-1-16
Use props
C_Little19
New
United Kingdom

Where I live I constantly get 'Strong Interference Detected' and this is due to a Radar Beacon thats just a few hundred metres away. I can only get a range of about 150 metres so it's possible that there could be something similar near you.
2017-9-4
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

C_Little19 Posted at 2017-9-4 12:10
Where I live I constantly get 'Strong Interference Detected' and this is due to a Radar Beacon thats just a few hundred metres away. I can only get a range of about 150 metres so it's possible that there could be something similar near you.

It will not be due to the radar beacon, it is nowhere near the operating frequency of the Phantom.
2017-9-4
Use props
djiuser_PvpL9jG
New
Norway

I also get this warning on my brand new P3S all the time. using my ipad 4gen and turning of my phone. when standing on top of a mountain long away from any houses i don`t know what causes this s&*t. Must be software.
2017-12-28
Use props
djiuser_Ptgp3AICU5An
New
United States

WiFi/ blue tooth.warnings at Sea isle city Beach. Won't calibrate. Anyone have problems at a beach?
2018-2-18
Use props
fans1b98ea02
New
Flight distance : 6631 ft

Indonesia

Old Geezer Posted at 2016-6-10 17:36
About a month back I got a "Too much interference to fly" warning and the motors refused to start.

I was trying to fly here - Boulmer Beach

Yeah, you cannot fly your drone near the air force area
2018-3-10
Use props
fans8dc291c2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77769 ft

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-8 13:25
Where are you flying it at. There must be lots of metal around your flight area.

I second this.

When flying around my neighborhood, I'll get bombarded with these notices. backtobacktobacktoback, but when I move to an area with less power lines and cars, it is a different ballgame. No warnings and distances pushing 1/2 mile without incident.

try a new location and see what happens.

good luck.
2018-3-15
Use props
NealeH01
New

United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-9 19:23
It is recommended to test it again in some open areas. Feel free to post your result then.

I have had this problem every time I have flown since I bought the drone, both in the countryside and out the back of the house. It makes me very nervous about flying. I have had one occasion where the drone compass calibration failed once in intelligent flight mode (waypoints) and it flew off in the opposite direction to the home point, I managed to take control and bring it back, but it was pretty scary.

Has anything been done to establish the cause?
2018-4-18
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>

I get this message all the time. A relative came over with his mavic and experienced the same thing and my neighbor has a mavic and same issue.. Its our area.. One neighbor has all sorts of antennas on his house... think he does something with radio and I'm wondering if any of that could be causing the problem. My neighbor said he goes to the park in Jersey City... right by NYC and the statue of liberty and he has no interference there an flies  6000 plus feet.  At home he crashed his mavic after getting the wireless warning.. I think he was doing some crazy maneuvering when the crash occurred though... The mavic is like an f16 compared to the phantom lol.

2018-4-24
Use props
djiuser_OkdCE05NC84I
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-8 13:25

I am having the same problem, it would say strong interference detected, I wasn’t happy with the range because it would lose signal so I bought a dbsitelite extender and I still have the same problem
2020-4-10
Use props
Jeppedy
lvl.1

United States

What exactly is the interference?  Between the drone control channel and the remote control?  Between the drone video link and the remote control?  I doubt it's the mobile device to the controller...
Is it 2.4GHz interference (Lots of Wifi in our populated area)?
2020-11-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jeppedy Posted at 11-11 16:27
What exactly is the interference?  Between the drone control channel and the remote control?  Between the drone video link and the remote control?  I doubt it's the mobile device to the controller...
Is it 2.4GHz interference (Lots of Wifi in our populated area)?

'strong interference detected' is DJI-Speak for received radio interference. It has nothing to do with interference from transmission wires, power sub-stations, large lumps of metal, bridges or UFOs. The aircraft has up to 3 discrete radio transmission systems, and DJI does not bother of discriminate between them in terms of which one is being affected. It can be the RC unit being affaected by the local WiFi system of your phone, or locally received sugnals from WiFi routers. And it can be the aircraft itself suffering from receptiuon interference from any number of devices on the 2.4 or 5.8 Ghz band.
2020-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules