Anyone experiencing weirdness with the new firmware
1570 14 2016-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kyrad777
New

Over the last few days the software has asked me to update the Phantom4 twice, and the controller 4 times AFTER the initial update of both units to the current firmware.

During the last firmware update everything went off without a hitch.

This time, in addition to the weirdness listed above, I noticed today while flying that my quad kept wanting to drift slowly in all 6 directions while no stick movement was happening.  For the trolls that just want to be right, it was in "p" mode and had plenty of  satellites and displayed "Safe to fly - GPS".  

After noticing this I landed the craft and after switching batteries and rebooting, I then received the "inconsistent firmware" message for the controller again.  I updated the controller, cycled the power on both units and then :

calibrated the IMU
Restarted both units
Calibrated the compass
Calibrated the Gimball
Flew.

I still saw major 4 axis drifting and consistent loss of altitude over time.  I kept having to continually compensate and it literally felt worse than atti mode.  

Even worse, when I let off the foreword direction stick, the unit did not compensate to stop the foreword movement like normal. ( sorry trolls, still in P mode with Sat lock )

Shortly after this I got a hardware error for the obstical sensing camera's and was instructed to restart.  I am in the process of re-calibrating the obstical avoidance system.  

Before this firmware update this drone acted absolutely perfect.  Always very precise in its movements.  Now it was like I was in a boat fighting random currents ( again, sorry trolls, no wind on this day ).  So much so that it drifted right into a shipping container and bumped the top corner for it's inaugural crash.  Surprisingly the unit recovered after falling about 6 feet (of an 10 foot drop ) and I was able to land it safely.  I got very lucky that it didn't hit the ground.  Needless to say I'm am wary of flying it again until I can figure out what's going on.  The unit is in brand new condition before the contact with the container, never crashed, dropped or thrown around. Now it's like I am flying a completely different unit.

Anyone else experiencing similar results with the newest firmware? ( as of 9:50 pm, Jun 8th sorry, I don't have the version information in front of me. ) or maybe just sudden "weirdness" because of another issue?

I am wondering if I am missing a procedure for calibration with the new firmware or if the continual prompts to re-update the firmware are a symptom of another problem.

Any thoughts welcome.

Kyra

UPDATE - just remembered an article that said there would be some GPS interference because of government tests in SoCal over the next week or so. This could be part of what happened. Even so, still doesn't explain the multiple update weirdness.
2016-6-8
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

"inconsistent firmware" means your second battery isn't updated yet
2016-6-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

One other possible,  you mentioned "shipping container ".  Large metal objects will have a negative effect on the internal compass,  which will cause drift,  for sure.
2016-6-8
Use props
Almaskm
lvl.2
Kazakhstan

kyrad777,
After firmware update , I have the same problem.
2016-6-9
Use props
kyrad777
New

United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-6-9 15:20
One other possible,  you mentioned "shipping container ".  Large metal objects will have a negative  ...

I get what your saying.  This is a field that I have been flying at since I have owned it.  Yesterday was the first time I had an issue.  I'm not sure what could have changed yesterday.  
2016-6-9
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Smaller problem here... but similar.

Ok, so I was marveling at how rock solid the hover was on the Phantom after I bought it.  I had no qualms about walking right up to the hovering beast and giving it a nudge with my hand (just for the fun of seeing it snap back exactly to its previous location while hovering).  But a few software/firmware updates later and I would NEVER approach this thing.  It isn't "all over the place", like, it doesn't drift endlessly in any direction... but it is working really hard now to try to maintain its place.  I even posted in another thread that after the .410 firmware update, the drone "Sounds" different, because the motors are all working harder to try to maintain its location.  Sounds considerably different actually, and still drifts in 4 lateral directions constantly... but only within a foot or two... It also has the well documented problem of losing altitude after a stop.  SO, no major problem with drifting out of control, but noticeable different after a FW update in that the drone is no longer rock-solid in it hovering.
2016-6-9
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-6-9 22:24
Smaller problem here... but similar.

Ok, so I was marveling at how rock solid the hover was on the  ...

Mabou2 - Two suggestions.

First, try calibrating the collision detection and vision positioning cameras/sensors using latest version of DJI Assistant 2 and your PC's monitor, especially if you have never done this. I am still on 410 firmware - haven't updated to 411 yet.  After installing 410 firmware, calibrating IMU, calibrating collision detection and VPS cameras, and, of course, calibrating the aircraft compass at location, I am getting rock stable hover after takeoff.

One other thought - drifting after takeoff may be due to magnetic interference during compass calibration.

COMPASS CALIBRATION DISCUSSION
I also own a P3 Pro. After a firmware update many months ago, the P3 Pro suddenly became much more sensitive to magnetic interference during compass calibration. If, for example, I tried to calibrate the compass over my concrete driveway or a parking lot with rebar - the P3 Pro would drift - a lot - after takeoff. Sometimes I would get a compass error - sometimes not. However, if I then calibrated the compass a second time over grass or over blacktop 10 feet away from nearest concrete/rebar area, my P3 Pro hover became rock solid after takeoff again. I have not experienced this issue with my P4 because I assume it also is very sensitive to magnetic interference during compass calibration and I NEVER calibrate the P4 compass while standing on concrete with rebar, within 8 feet of my SUV (or any other vehicle) or near any other large metallic objects.  I also take my cell phone out of my pocket and place it at least 5 feet away from my aircraft while calibrating the compass and I keep the RC and its mobile device at least 5 feet away from the aircraft during compass calibrations as well. I've seen videos of folks holding their RC and mobile device in one hand, while holding the P3/P4 aircraft in their other hand during the compass calibration dance - this is NOT a good idea!  Also, not ALL concrete parking lots/driveways have sufficient rebar in them to cause problems.

To be clear - AFTER compass calibration, I can fly and very stably hover both my P3 Pro and my P4 over large concrete parking lots with rebar, over my SUV, etc. with zero drifting issues. You just need to avoid calibrating the Phantom aircraft compass while standing on concrete with rebar or near large metallic objects.  I also advise keeping cell phones/tablets at least 5 feet from aircraft DURING COMPASS CALIBRATION ONLY.

Try calibrating the P4 camera sensors and taking care when choosing where you calibrate your P4 compass the next time out - and see if this eliminates drift during hover.  Let us know.

Safe flying!
2016-6-9
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-6-9 13:09
Mabou2 - Two suggestions.

First, try calibrating the collision detection and vision positioning c ...

Thanks David... good feedback.  I look forward to giving it all a try.  Sadly, we are in the midst of several forecast windy days so I am grounded for now :-(    I'll blame DJI for the winds. (They seem to get blamed for everything else....) Maybe DJI can update the "firmaware" to give us more stable air...   (get it?  Firma-ware?  Terra-Firma?.... heh?)
2016-6-9
Use props
rliamharpurb
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I still get blurry photo preview, altitude drop when stopping, the horizon isn't level and the drone on my last flight seems to crab through the air,

I'm gonna refresh the install and recalibrate everything again,

I just want a clear photo feed on my iPad and for it to flight straight

Any advice/insight/suggestions welcomed

Liam
2016-6-9
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Mabou2 Posted at 2016-6-10 02:55
Thanks David... good feedback.  I look forward to giving it all a try.  Sadly, we are in the midst ...

What?? You're into 4WD now? TerraFirma? Or is it only me :-D
2016-6-9
Use props
redfoxsa
New

i have the same problem i feel the phantom going crazy and not responding will
and the hit the ground !!!

what should we do NEXT ?

2016-6-9
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll let you know tomorrow if I have any issues. I did the update yesterday and so far no notices to do the RC. I did an IMU this afternoon after the update yesterday. I have an Internet connection and I received update complete. Did you receive Update complete?
2016-6-9
Use props
redfoxsa
New

i re-Calibrate the quad With DJI Assistant ...
Now run as a Rock 100%
2016-6-9
Use props
kyrad777
New

Hey everyone,

So part of the problem I had post "crash" is that it bent the metal retaining pins down on the quick release motor mounts. This allows a little play in the props.  I tried bending them back up into place, but without the pressure of the hydrolic press that formed them, they seem to have lost there regidity.  I'm contacting DJI for replacements.  

I did find out that on the day this first happened, the government was conducting GPS jamming tests in SoCal.  I'm guessing this might have accounted for the sluggish controls and the random movements that made it bump into the structure.  One of the guys that was flying there said his car navigation was messed up that day too.  Hopefully that was the problem.  It just sucks that it had never crashed before that.  Now I have to repair it.  : (
2016-6-13
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Hello Kyra, sorry to hear about the crash.

Go quickly get the prop mounts from
http://store.dji.com/product/pha ... amp;from=dap_unique
https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Origi ... ue&tag=ph079-20

Hans
2016-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules