Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just for background:
Upgraded to 1.1.411 using DJI Assistant 2.4.....never got time to upgrade to the 1.4.110.      (IMPORTANT:  If you did not upgrade to 1.1.410 make sure you also upgrade ALL your extra batteries....there is an identical battery upgrade in Firmware 1.1.410 and 1.1.411)
RC version 1.6.0 done a while ago
App Version 2.8.3 on a iPad Mini 2 with IOS 9.3.2

Re-calibrated the IMU, Gimbal, RC controls, obstacle sensors and compass.
Some people say this is not necessary to do after a firmware update, but here's why I do.......
When I opened the DJI Go app and turned on my P4 aircraft after THIS update everything (at least for me) had pretty much gone back to default.
RTH altitude had been reset to 30 meters....Max altitude had been reset to 120 meters....obstacle avoidance was turned back on even though I had turned it off, etc, etc.  Seems to me pretty logical the IMU had been flashed also.

Flew for about 2 hours yesterday in a West/South West 12 MPH wind with gusts to 18 MPH or so. I wanted to do some testing of the new firmware and yesterday was the day.

Overall the P4 flew flawlessly............let me refine that......it flew pretty well before the update.......seems to be flawless now.

With obstacle sensing turned on I used to get a slight drop in altitude especially during stops from full speed to full stop......it no longer does that.

I was getting what I can only call a burp (technical term) from the video feed at bizarre times.  Not far away and only for a second.  Much like what happens when you take a picture.  
In two hours of flying yesterday it did not do that once.

Picture and video looked great on the iPad and off the card after the update.....no blurry screen.

Gimbal dead level.......but it was before.

Tried multiple flight modes and they all worked fine.  DID NOT try obstacle avoidance.....so no info on that.

Some people had talked about range issues and while I had never flown farther with the P4 then about 4,000 feet until yesterday (so I had no comparison).........I was at 350 feet altitude and 9,232 feet distance before I lost my nerve.  Stock RC with no antenna mods.
RC signal strength was full as well as video transmission strength.   In addition there was series of electrical wires between my P4 and me about 40 feet away AND a series of high voltage transmission lines that were intersecting the route of the P4 about 3/4 of a mile out on the flight path.
I think the thing I found most amazing was the range.   I felt like I could have gone well over 2 miles ......but the electrical wires close to me were directly in my line to the P4 and that made me a little more cautious.   
Disclaimer:  the land I was flying over was farm land of a friend of mine, who gave me permission to fly any time I would like.....in fact I've done work for him with my P3.

Side Note:  I was never able to get the DJI Assistant software 2.2 to work on any of my computers (No big deal, just used the Go app), but the Assistant 2.4 worked great.....and as another poster already commented......seems to be very fast and efficient.  Kudos DJI.

No firmware/software update is perfect......if it was it would be the final update.....But so far, at least for me, this update has been bullet-proof.

Thanks DJI.......moderators and techs alike......keep up the great work!

2016-6-9
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Tmygun - thanks for the post. I'm on 410 and haven't updated to 411 - was waiting for posts like yours to indicate that nothing unexpected got broken in the latest update.  I'm very happy with 410 firmware - the only issue that I'm aware of is the blurry video when using DLog color mode, but I always shoot in Color mode "None" so that bug in 410 hasn't been an issue for me.  Range and HD Link video stability were fully restored for me in 410 firmware + DJI GO app version 2.8.3.  Glad to hear that 411 is also performing well. With regard to range, I flew out 5.1 miles with only a parabolic reflector add-on with no RC or video link loss.
2016-6-9
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-6-9 13:27
Tmygun - thanks for the post. I'm on 410 and haven't updated to 411 - was waiting for posts like you ...

Wow!......that's impressive .
My range was stock RC..........not sure I would have the guts to go that far!!
No video problems whatsoever........again because everything seemed to revert to default I did complete re-calibrations and resets of everything.
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you so very much for posting.
This is how it should be for everyone.
2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Thank you for your sharing. Enjoy your flight
2016-6-9
Use props
vandruten
lvl.3

Indonesia

Well written, Tmygun! Enjoy the bird!
2016-6-10
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

vandruten Posted at 2016-6-10 09:11
Well written, Tmygun! Enjoy the bird!

Thanks!,  I have and will!
2016-6-10
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-6-9 13:27
Tmygun - thanks for the post. I'm on 410 and haven't updated to 411 - was waiting for posts like you ...

Did you upgrade to 1.1.411??

How did it go??
2016-6-16
Use props
cayalag
lvl.3
Flight distance : 470656 ft
Portugal

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-10 04:19
Thank you so very much for posting.
This is how it should be for everyone.

Hi Ken,

Unfortunately I am having a different behavior after the upgrade from 301 to 411.

I am running the DJI Go 2.8.3 (no weak signal by the way

I upgraded, calibrated IMU, gimbal, compass and VPS sensors.

During the first flight after the upgrade, the first I can notice is the altitude drop (it NEVER happened to me with 301). I took off, climb to 3 meters and moved forward (P mode). Even releasing the stick very gently, immediately the P4 started descending to a point that i though it was going to touch the ground.

I climb a bit more and repeated the maneuver.... Without touching anything, it drops for maybe a couple of meters (you can see the mismatch between barometric altitude and VPS) and immediately after that, it starts a very slow uninterrupted climb !!... when it climb around 10 meters, I intervened.

Regarding range, no problem at all... I went 1.5 km away with very strong signal.

Gimbal tilt... same thing. With 301 I never had problems before; now, I adjust with C2 and the wheel, and after a few seconds it is all over the place again.

Is there any way I can contribute to try and fix these issues ??? as they never happened before I am going to roll back to 301, but I can wait if you guys want me to do any kind of tests and send you logs or videos.

Regards.

Carlos
2016-6-17
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Tmygun Posted at 2016-6-16 13:25
Did you upgrade to 1.1.411??

How did it go??

I upgraded to 1.1.411 firmware 10 days ago and, with one exception, have had very good flying and video performance.  I first tested flight stability in low (3 feet) and high hover (80 feet), forward and backward high-speed flight segments, and left and right high-speed flight segments with 410 firmware, then upgraded to 411, performed IMU calibration and compass calibration.  For me flight stability was excellent and the same on both 410 and 411 firmware.  For both firmware versions, the P4 will climb 4-8 feet as it decelerates to a full stop, then immediately descend to original altitude (before the 4-8 foot deceleration climb) and, quite frequently descend another 1-4 feet below original altitude before slowly climbing back to original altitude.  I'm sure some P4 owners still consider this a "loss of altitude on stopping" and a "problem", but I DO NOT.  I consider this completely acceptable  performance of complicated flight electronics.

I also flew my P4 extensively over water last weekend - mostly flooded fields and parks in the Houston, TX area.  The stability of the P4 for 98% of the time was excellent.  Slow pans at low altitude, low-level P-mode flights several feet above water filming ducks, the P4 was rock steady.

However, at one point near the end of a 15-minute flight with the P4 ~150 feet away from me and hovering ~6 feet above very still standing water (glass smooth - no current) under the shade of several trees while I was shooting video of some baby ducklings, the P4 started climbing with no stick input!  In fact, I had to immediately apply 30-50% down stick to keep my P4 from climbing up into tree branches and to maintain altitude. It got a little exciting for about 30 seconds as I had fight to keep my P4 from crashing either into tree branches a few feet above or standing water a few feet below the aircraft.  

As soon as I got back out into sunlight, the P4 started behaving normally - hovering stably at 4-8 feet above water with no up/down stick input. I have no idea what caused the barometer and/or VPS sensors to read erroneously and to cause the P4 to try to climb unnecessarily. The flight record shows altitude jumping from 3.3 to 6.6 feet when it first started climbing and then going negative 10 to negative 16 feet as I was applying down stick to keep it from climbing. These sudden negative altitude readings were, obviously, completely erroneous.  If they were real, my P4 would have been a submarine. A negative altitude reading of -16.4 feet persisted for the remainder of my low-level flight 8 feet above very calm water as I brought it back to where I was standing on the shore. Even aOfter I descended ~ 8 feet and landed at home point, the barometer still read -16.4 feet.  There was zero wind but it was 98 F and very humid that day.  Perhaps the barometer sensor was affected by the heat and/or humidity? When I flew again several days later, the barometer was behaving normally and temperatures were again 98 degrees and humidity was just as high.

This experience reinforces the need to ALWAYS be ready to assume manual control of your aircraft - particularly when flying over water.
2016-6-21
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-6-21 09:39
I upgraded to 1.1.411 firmware 10 days ago and, with one exception, have had very good flying and v ...

David,

Roger that!!

I seem to recall reading a couple of post about the altitude variation really kicking in when you have obstacle avoidance enabled and/or have not calibrated the vision sensors.  I have also heard that kinda low over water may confuse the sensors.

For my cranial file cabinet do any of those things possibly apply?
2016-6-21
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

david.p.mann@ea Posted at 2016-6-21 09:39
I upgraded to 1.1.411 firmware 10 days ago and, with one exception, have had very good flying and v ...

Gonna be flying over Lake Michigan next week.....will do some tests and let you know if I can recreate.
2016-6-21
Use props
david.p.mann
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Tmygun,

I had calibrated my downward facing VPS sensors and forward facing obstacle detection sensors after upgrading to 410 firmware.  However, I did NOT calibrate them again after upgrading to 411 firmware.

I realized today that it is possible the obstacle detection sensors may have detected a low-hanging branch from the trees I was flying under and tried to increase altitude to fly "over" it.  My camera was aimed at a downward 45 degree angle at ducks below and I don't have separate cell phone video of my aircraft when this happened, so this is just a hypothesis.  I don't normally fly with obstacle detection on, but did so on this flight segment because I was flying around trees.  

It would be ironic if the obstacle detection system in this case nearly caused a collision - with overhead tree branches - as it was trying to avoid a perceived obstacle (tree branch) 6-10 feet in front of the aircraft as I moved very slowly forward. (Hmmm?)
2016-6-22
Use props
peters.monty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145715 ft
Canada

Thanks for the short yet thoughtful review of the latest firmware. Much appreciated.
2016-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules