o(^-^)o
sadowski.patryk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hello Everyone
This is my first post here so I would like to say Hi to evrybody

I noticed that there is a resolution / quality difference between video and photo mode. When video mode is on everything is sharp and clear, but in photo mode the live feed is blurred and there is no detail. I saved 2 screenshot from a static composition and on the left the can writing is blurred, the monitor screen is unreadable but in video mode ( right side ) you can read whats on the monitor screen.

During flight is even more noticeable.
Im after 3rd firmware upgrade and there is no difference.
Camera setting reseted few times
No corelation with distance or signal strength.

Im wondering if this is normal or it can be tweaked
Cheers for any help !

Photo/video Feed

Photo/video Feed
2016-6-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The first thing to point out is that you will never get a clear, focussed shot with the aircraft sitting on a bench like that. The camera has a fixed focus lens and it simply does not focus at the distance you have those objects.

In addition, the live feed is also a relatively low resolution feed, it is a maximum of 720p in video terms and is not intended for critical viewing, it allows you to see and compase the shot, then you can record or take a still shot and a high quality image will then be saved to the SD card in the aircraft.
2016-6-9
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-9 14:24
The first thing to point out is that you will never get a clear, focussed shot with the aircraft sit ...

Aloha Geebax,

Actually, what patryk is saying is really interesting.  I have to check this out.  What you are saying makes a lot of sense, but patryk's observation might make a difference in flight if you need to make out details somehow with the live-feed.  

Patryk's observation is counter-intuitive for me though, since I would think that the photo mode would be more crisp because it would be less demanding.  Any ideas on why the video mode would generate a more crisp live-feed image than the photo mode?  I wonder if this happens with the HDMI module?

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-9
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha patryk,

Mahalo for making this observation and bringing it to our attention.  This is very interesting.  Right now it is windy and rainy over here, but as soon as I can I will be testing your observation.  

What model Phantom do you have?  I have a P3P and a P4, both equipped with the HDMI module.  It will be interesting to see if this observation of yours turns up in the HDMI display.  I am always looking for ways to get a more crisp live-feed image.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-9
Use props
sadowski.patryk
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RE: Video feed resolution

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-10 01:24
The first thing to point out is that you will never get a clear, focussed shot with the aircraft sit ...

Its not the point here
The screenshots are for showing the difference not to get clear crisp image.
As I said, during normal flight is even more noticeable, I just didnt have a chance to take those during flight

Its Phantom 4

Thanks for all replies !

2016-6-9
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello sadowski, what's your drone's current fw version? Do you try to use IOS DJI GO app to test it ?
2016-6-10
Use props
rliamharpurb
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have the same issue on my p4 with everything updated

The actual photos and videos theirselves are fine once downloaded, but when viewing the live feed you cannot see as much detail in photo mode as the image is blurred and not as crisp as video mode,

I have posted about this and thought I was the only one to notice

One other person has told me
This is normal but again I don't understand why video feed would give a better image then photo feed

Liam
2016-6-10
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-10 10:27
Hello sadowski, what's your drone's current fw version? Do you try to use IOS DJI GO app to test it  ...

I have latest firmware released 3 days ago v1.1.411. Im using Android. Didn't try IOS app yet.

Cheers
2016-6-10
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rliamharpurb Posted at 2016-6-10 11:10
I have the same issue on my p4 with everything updated

The actual photos and videos theirselves are ...

Thats no good if this is normal...
I mostly used P4 for photographs

Reason is unknown for me... had same thoughts as you rliamharpurb
2016-6-10
Use props
rliamharpurb
lvl.2

United Kingdom

If someone from dji could confirm that there should be a difference in clarity with photo being worse then video mode on the live feed?

My friend has a p3 pro I'm gonna see if his is the same

Liam
2016-6-10
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That would be helpful indeed !
2016-6-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-10 17:17
Aloha Geebax,

Actually, what patryk is saying is really interesting.  I have to check this o ...

There is an aspect ratio change between the two modes to begin with, the video is at 14:9 while the photo view is at 4:3, and the image processor takes a scaled version of the image to send via Lightbridge to the RC unit. I would expect a loss of resolution in that process. However it is important to note that it is NOT a focus change, as the lens cannot alter focus.

2016-6-10
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-10 23:50
There is an aspect ratio change between the two modes to begin with, the video is at 14:9 while th ...

I cant agree more about ratio, but this is not a reason why those two are displayed in such way. Clearly photo mode has a better res. so isn't it an app scaling issue ?
2016-6-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Crio Posted at 2016-6-11 10:28
I cant agree more about ratio, but this is not a reason why those two are displayed in such way. C ...

Yes, absolutely, it is most certainly an app scaling issue. But I usually try to avoid details like that. The display that you have, be it a phone or a tablet, has a native display resolution, so anything other than the native mode will result in a blurrier looking display. But it might go the other way, depending upon the size and model of the phone or tablet, where the still shot looks better than the video.

I dont regard this as a fault, it is just a limitation of the display technology. It is a good idea to remember that the FPV display is a guide only.

2016-6-10
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-11 01:53
Yes, absolutely, it is most certainly an app scaling issue. But I usually try to avoid details like ...

It is just a guide yes but if you know this ''guide'' looks great in video mode, you are wondering why its not so great in photo mode.
However I don't think its related with native resolution of a screen as I tried 3 devices ( phones and tablets with variety of screen resolutions ) and video mode always gave detailed feed as photo mode was lacking details.

Its not a skyrocketing issue. Nevertheless I would like to know if this is something impossible to adjust/ fix / change

Cheers
2016-6-11
Use props
mactech
lvl.2
United States

I am seeing the same issue.  Photo preview mode on the two P4s I have owned both exhibit this problem with latest firmware.
2016-6-11
Use props
mavs88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

mactech Posted at 2016-6-11 15:45
I am seeing the same issue.  Photo preview mode on the two P4s I have owned both exhibit this proble ...

you write "with the latest firmware"... which firmware are you using?
do you mean it was better with a previous firmare?

regards,
Max
2016-6-11
Use props
mactech
lvl.2
United States

mavs88@home.nl Posted at 2016-6-11 10:40
you write "with the latest firmware"... which firmware are you using?
do you mean it was better wi ...

I am using the last FW version released and no it was not better on the previous one.
2016-6-13
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No fix then... Just tried IOS device... exactly the same
2016-6-26
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

That's interesting, I'm waiting for an answer too.

But OP, I can't see why this bothers you at all...
2016-6-27
Use props
Crio
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-27 12:05
That's interesting, I'm waiting for an answer too.

But OP, I can't see why this bothers you at all. ...

Im using it more often that video feed and sometimes cant see things that I could see in video feed
Besides it was something that looked like it can be change somewhere
2016-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules