Phantom 4 would not return home
4189 30 2016-6-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
farout4u
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109698 ft
South Korea

Was flying yesterday and for the first time I lost contol of the drone.  I was in Active Track mode following a slow moving train at 50 meters up and 500 meters away from the homepoint.  I closed the active track (at least I thought I did, still don't know) and hit the return to home.  I had a full connection and video feed.  The drone would not move in RTH and it would not let me manually fly (right stick was dead)  The battery was getting critically low and it began to auto land.  Luckly, I was over dry ground as it started to auto land I stopped the function and I regained control of side to side movement and avoided landing on top of moving cars.  I did have the latest updates and I did have two new batteries, but I didn't get any warnings when I switched out batteries.  I fly a lot over water and want to make sure this doesn't happen again.  Are there any overides that I could have done?  Hind sights a "B" and I think I could have switch to Att mode and maybe regained control.  I've just never had the drone not respond to the RTH function.  It did try to auto RTH when the battery hit a critical level, but again it just hovered in the same spot.  
2016-6-10
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

To find out what went wrong  ...
Go to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.

Come back and post a link to the report it provides and some of the experienced people here will probably be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
2016-6-11
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

withnailed
2016-6-11
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

Here's the link to the flight record.  Thanks labroides for the info.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=itcDQn
2016-6-11
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-12 10:23
Here's the link to the flight record.  Thanks labroides for the info.

http://healthydrones.com/mai ...

Healthydrones only gives a basic summary and doesn''t show the flight data.
Use the link I gave above and we'll have a much better chance of finding the issue.
2016-6-11
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Hi, farou. Can please check your DJI Go and find an option called "Calibrate Map Coordinates( For Mainland China)",  when you were flying, is this turned off?    If this is on while people were flying outside China, it can cause cases like the one were experienced.

Other than this, the unresponding of RTH did happen occasionally, and DJI will  cover any damage to the plane if an accident caused by this happened.
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello farout4u, I'd suggest you to sync your flight record and get in touch with our tech support via support@dji.com. If you have got back your drone, it is recommended to download the flight data (.DAT file) of the accident date and send them to our support.
2016-6-11
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-12 16:08
Hi, farou. Can please check your DJI Go and find an option called "Calibrate Map Coordinates( For Ma ...

Thanks huntcool001, it was turned off during the flight.  I'm going to send in the .Dat file and maybe they can figure it out.  
2016-6-12
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

Here's the link to the flight data.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BSIA8LQW63C06BBNS0ZE/

2016-6-12
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-12 16:24
Hello farout4u, I'd suggest you to sync your flight record and get in touch with our tech support vi ...

Thank you, I did get the drone back.  How do I get the .DAT file?  
2016-6-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-12 17:41
Thank you, I did get the drone back.  How do I get the .DAT file?

Connect the drone to your computer via the usb port then turn it on. You can download it via the DJI Assistant 2 software: P4 MC data.JPG
2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-12 19:40
Here's the link to the flight data.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/BSIA8LQW63C06BBNS0ZE/

Tha's an add flight.
In summary here are the notifications:
13:58  Timeout:Cannot exit ActiveTrack (??)  I'm not sure if this is significant - not sure what it means
15:53  RTH  makes no progress to home, descends 15 ft
16:57  Auto Landing @ 31%
17:17   Landing Cancelled
18:54  Flight record ends with no further notifications

The flight record doesn't give any clues to why your Phantom just hovered instead of returning to home.
It was in RTH mode but just sat there.
2016-6-12
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-12 19:01
Tha's an add flight.
In summary here are the notifications:
13:58  Timeout:Cannot exit ActiveTrack ...

Yep. and luckily I wasn't over water this time.  Think it had something to do with not being able to exit Active track.
2016-6-12
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-12 18:45
Connect the drone to your computer via the usb port then turn it on. You can download it via the D ...

Okay, I'll bring it in from work tomorrow and send to the DJI email address that you posted.  
2016-6-12
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-12 18:49
Okay, I'll bring it in from work tomorrow and send to the DJI email address that you posted.

Thank you for your understanding.
2016-6-12
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

Connect the drone to your computer via the usb port then turn it on. You can download it via the D ...

My computer will not let me install the DJI Assistant Software that I downloaded from the DJI website.  Says that is from an unregistarted provider.  Can't find DJI Assistant 2 in the App store either.  I have posted a link with the flight data.  
2016-6-13
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

My computer will not let me install the DJI Assistant Software that I downloaded from the DJI website.  Says that is from an unregistarted provider.  Can't find DJI Assistant 2 in the App store either.  I have posted a link with the flight data.  
2016-6-13
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-13 18:07
My computer will not let me install the DJI Assistant Software that I downloaded from the DJI webs ...

Maybe you need to do some settings in your mac in order to allow the DMG files installation. Please check this:
2016-6-13
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-13 19:11
Maybe you need to do some settings in your mac in order to allow the DMG files installation. Please ...

Okay got the app running by disabling the trust settings.  Its been trying to download the flight logs for 20 minutes now and still haven't seen the first one.  I have over 80 flights on this Phantom but does it usually take this long?  
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-13 19:10
Okay got the app running by disabling the trust settings.  Its been trying to download the flight  ...

You can select the data of the accident date. Finally it will turn out to be one file.
2016-6-13
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-13 20:16
You can select the data of the accident date. Finally it will turn out to be one file.

Hasn't moved from this screen.  Wheel just keeps spinning
Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 8.19.46 PM.png
2016-6-13
Use props
mactech
lvl.2
United States

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-13 06:07
My computer will not let me install the DJI Assistant Software that I downloaded from the DJI webs ...

One would think that a major corporation could have their app code-signed so their customers don't have to go thru this nonsense.

It takes all of 3 minutes to do using xCode.
2016-6-13
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Hong Kong

farout4u Posted at 2016-6-13 19:22
Hasn't moved from this screen.  Wheel just keeps spinning

That's not normal that it keeps spinning. Can you try it in Windows?
2016-6-13
Use props
farout4u
lvl.1
South Korea

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-13 20:16

Okay got the file.  Had to upgrade the software on the mac to the version the drone has loaded.  I'll email DJI at the address you listed.  Thank you for the help.  Hopefully, they can figure out what went wrong.  Have about 45 minutes of flights mapped out for tomorrow.  I'll let you know if there are any issues.  Have a back up Phantom 4 on stand by just in case.  
2016-6-13
Use props
ssconte
New
United States

I have a phantom 4 that does not return home.   I am new to this so be easy on me.   Iset rth height the unit appeasrs to set a home point and still does not return home on wither low batter or button activation  if i fly it back and its directly overhead an hit rth it will land but that is all it will do   any ideas?
2019-8-19
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ssconte Posted at 8-19 06:09
I have a phantom 4 that does not return home.   I am new to this so be easy on me.   Iset rth height the unit appeasrs to set a home point and still does not return home on wither low batter or button activation  if i fly it back and its directly overhead an hit rth it will land but that is all it will do   any ideas?

There are three pages on RTH in the manual.
Have you read all of that?

Are you properly using the RTH button?
You have to press and hold it until you hear the beeping, or you can use the screen button.

If you fly >60 feet away in a large, clear area and switch the controller off, what happens?
2019-8-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ssconte Posted at 8-19 06:09
I have a phantom 4 that does not return home.   I am new to this so be easy on me.   Iset rth height the unit appeasrs to set a home point and still does not return home on wither low batter or button activation  if i fly it back and its directly overhead an hit rth it will land but that is all it will do   any ideas?

As Labroids mentioned, have a read of the RTH section in the manual.

The following link is a good page to bookmark for most P4 related bits you'll ever need, including the manual (scroll down for .PDF download):-

https://www.dji.com/uk/phantom-4 ... p;from=landing_page
2019-8-20
Use props
ssconte
New
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-19 12:27
There are three pages on RTH in the manual.

The unit turns and then just continues to hover. even in lost signal and low battery it does not return.   any ideas?
2019-8-20
Use props
ssconte
New
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-19 12:27
There are three pages on RTH in the manual.

I used the controller button and the on screen button and then the
slide on screen   it does not react other than to turn towards home. any other ideas?
2019-8-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

ssconte Posted at 8-20 06:05
I used the controller button and the on screen button and then the
slide on screen   it does not react other than to turn towards home. any other ideas?

Yes .. the recorded flight data.
Check post #2 above for details of how to do that.
2019-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules