P4- Just Crashed it!
3316 27 2016-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
macardo
lvl.3
United States

After nearly 30 hours of flight time, I managed to tangle with a palm tree and lose the battle. P4 fell to tha asphalt from 50ft.
Damage to both halves of the shell and gimbal. It's gonna need quite a bit of work.

Anyone have experience getting your Phantom repaired? I live in Long Beach, CA.  I believe there is a DJI facility in Thousand Oaks, Ca. But not sure if they do repairs.
Does it need to go back to China? Will it ever be the same? Good as new?
Feel a little sick about it....
Thanks in advance.
Chris
2016-6-11
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss. I completely understand your sickness feeling :-(

My P3A crashed and I still don't know why and hoping DJI can tell me and it's on it's way to DJI at the address below.

I called DJI and they gave me an RMA number and it's going to the following location.

DJI Technology, LLC
23610 Banning Blvd
Carson, CA, 90745
2016-6-11
Use props
agilarmanuel
lvl.2

Sorry for your loss same here some similar  happen to my p4 crash for nothing call dji support in Carson am from l.a I send it they fixed for free of charge am lucky in 3 days they send it back real fast good costumer service I hope you have to pay for you loss good luck
2016-6-11
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

rreindl Posted at 2016-6-12 06:04
Sorry for your loss. I completely understand your sickness feeling :-(

My P3A crashed and I still d ...

Thanks! I just called the Carson location. They're closed so it will have to wait until next week. This location is only 8 miles from me, I will be relieved if it doesn't have to go back to China for repair.

Has anyone had the entire shel replaced on a Phantom?
2016-6-11
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

Photos of the damage.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
2016-6-11
Use props
treeboyy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 604747 ft
United States

That's a bummer! My repair experience (a friend crashed his) was good. Fast and relieable.
2016-6-11
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

treeboyy Posted at 2016-6-12 09:37
That's a bummer! My repair experience (a friend crashed his) was good. Fast and relieable.

Good to know, thanks!!
2016-6-11
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Live in Indiana.  Had a accident with my P3P.......sent to California........repair/customer service was spectacular!
2016-6-11
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

The condition of the plane seems to be pretty bad.

Currently I think the waiting time is close to two months.

But once repaired, it will be all good and reliable like a new one, or they won't be confident to allow you to buy DJI Care after repairing.  You can only buy DJI care when you buy a new one and when you repaired your plane.
2016-6-11
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-12 11:03
The condition of the plane seems to be pretty bad.

Currently I think the waiting time is close to t ...

Thanks, I will probably look into DJI Care.
2016-6-11
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

Has anyone repaired a Phantom damaged in this way?
2016-6-11
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft

My friend is an authorized DJI engineer for Drone's Plus here in the Valley (San Fernando).

Nobody would touch my bird to fix but him. If you want his contact, LMK. Sorry about the crash. Blows.
2016-6-11
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash,macardo. I'd suggest you to get in touch with our US tech support and send the drone to our US service center for fixing. Here is the contacting information: 北美地址.JPG
2016-6-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

They will repair it at the CA Service Center. You better get an estimate though before starting a repair. Weigh the estimate against replacing it. Kind of like building a Chevrolet from the parts Dept. I give you credit for not blaming your accident on a Firmware issue.
2016-6-12
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

rodger Posted at 2016-6-12 18:41
They will repair it at the CA Service Center. You better get an estimate though before starting a re ...

Thanks Rodger, I have considered exactly as you mentioned. Depending on repair costs, it may make sense to sell this one for parts, and let home owners insurance cover it minus the deductible.

Regarding the accident, completely my fault. I had spent the afternoon tracking speed boats and water skiers in Sport mode. . I desensitized the stick input controls in order to get smooth usable pans and altitude movement at high speed.
After I was done I took a spin around the parking lot not having returned to the quicker responding stick input at which I usually operate. Consequently, stuffing  it into the top of the palm tree doing a maneuver I have done a hundred times.
The Phantom nearly recovered mid air, but a palm frond wrapped around a motor...

After a nervous afternoon(4 batteries) taking into account and compensating for the radical altitude drop after stopping from high speeds while I was over water, it's a huge blow to the ego to stuff it in to a stationary palm tree 60 ft in front of me. Ouch.

2016-6-12
Use props
Dacon Productio
lvl.2

United States

I would just buy a new P4 and sell this one for parts and the RC.
2016-6-12
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

Dacon Productio Posted at 2016-6-13 01:01
I would just buy a new P4 and sell this one for parts and the RC.

I don't know... I see the upper and lower shell for as little as $80.00 for the pair, OEM.
Whether or not the gimbal is damaged is another story.
2016-6-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

macardo@mac.com Posted at 2016-6-12 12:04
Thanks Rodger, I have considered exactly as you mentioned. Depending on repair costs, it may make  ...

Great Homeowners policy that you have there. we do lax up after doing something for a bit to long and become complacent and that is when things go wrong. Good luck with your replacement.
2016-6-13
Use props
macardo
lvl.3
United States

I showed up at the Carson, Ca location at 9am. Only to learn they don't take ANY walk-ins. The security guard won't even open the gate to the parking lot...
Called customer service and was caller number 28 in the que.
Only took about 30min, and an announcement happens every 2 minutes or so to update your position. Not a bad experience at all.
The gentleman was supper kind getting me set up with the RMA and packing instructions.
Packed a box, slapped the UPS label provided on top, and off it went. They received it 12 hours later. Great experience so far.
2016-6-14
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1203484 ft
United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-12 06:02
Sorry for your crash,macardo. I'd suggest you to get in touch with our US tech support and send the ...

Hi DJI-Paladin,

Don't mean to go off topic, but I had a bad flight this morning and for some reason I can't start a new thread to talk about it.
2016-6-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>

macardo@mac.com Posted at 2016-6-15 12:28
I showed up at the Carson, Ca location at 9am. Only to learn they don't take ANY walk-ins. The secur ...

Sorry you couldn't handle it there, DJI does not was a walk in service.
That is good that everything was done in a timely manner.
2016-6-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-18 00:23
Sorry you couldn't handle it there, DJI does not was a walk in service.
That is good that everythi ...

To start a new thread, chose any of the topics and from there your see a new thread blue button on the right side.
2016-6-17
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-17 12:25
To start a new thread, chose any of the topics and from there your see a new thread blue button on ...

I looked in my PM tab and it shows that I created a new thread, but it's not showing up when I select the Phantom 4 tab.
2016-6-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Roadstar1700 Posted at 2016-6-18 00:33
I looked in my PM tab and it shows that I created a new thread, but it's not showing up when I sel ...

I see it in the P4 thread.
P4 thread.JPG
2016-6-17
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-17 12:50
I see it in the P4 thread.

My heading is "Lost Control Hard Landing"    I still don't see it, but can I talk with you on this thread about my flight this morning?
2016-6-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Roadstar1700 Posted at 2016-6-18 00:54
My heading is "Lost Control Hard Landing"    I still don't see it, but can I talk with you on this ...

Ahh, I see.
If you are unable to start a new thread and cannot see the blue tab provide me your email address and I will forward to the department that handles the forum.
2016-6-17
Use props
Roadstar1700
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-17 12:57
Ahh, I see.
If you are unable to start a new thread and cannot see the blue tab provide me your em ...

I've had my P4 for a month and it's been flying great. I took it out  today and flew about 1 1/2 miles round trip over water and everything  went fine.

I relocated to another lake and was planning on flying around the  perimeter. I got everything linked up, but showed a compass error and  interference warning, so I re-caled the compass. It took 2 trys to get  the compass calibrated, but when it passed I had the ready to fly (for  sure) in GPS mode (I think).

I went up to an altitude of 100', was ready to start flying the  perimeter when suddenly it started to move on its own. It made a half  moon loop passing through some trees heading straight for the water. I  was in a gimbal down at this time and it slowly descended, hit a clump  of grass and flipped over a foot away from the water!

I just looked at the flight log and had 41 warnings. It indicates that  the mode went to GPS ATTI and assisted takeoff before I even lifted off (I was in P mode).

The log file doesn't show any + altitude readings. The video file time stamp shows 1/1/2014 and the video shows the P4 rotating as it came down.
2016-6-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

Roadstar1700 Posted at 2016-6-18 01:02
I've had my P4 for a month and it's been flying great. I took it out  today and flew about 1 1/2 mi ...

Contact support and start an RMA and they will review the case and your flight logs.
Sounds like you had a good calibration then at your new location there must have been metal around.
Call 818-235-0789 and they will start the RMA process.
2016-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules