Shot at while flying today
12Next >
2623 65 2016-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
garretn
lvl.2

United States

I had been flying less than 5 minutes. I don't understand where someone thinks they have the right to pull their shotgun out and shoot at my drone. Am I wrong to think I should be able to fly my drone in the center of the Chattanooga river not anywhere close to anyones house? I know he was shooting at the drone because I heard him yell someone has a drone right before the shot went off. I felt like going over and confronting him about it but decided it might not be a good idea.

Anyone else have stuff like this happen to them?   
2016-6-11
Use props
The Phantom DJ
lvl.2

United States

Whoa! I say notify the police and let them deal with that man. No drone is worth getting shot over. Unfortunately this is a reality we are going to have to get more and more accustomed to. Plenty of pretty stupid, ignorant and full of themselves people out there. A lot with guns. Why do people believe that someone would spend hundreds of dollars on a drone, just for spying on them?!? Do you really feel you are that important??

If you know for sure who it is, and you file a police report, they may find out he has a felony record, and possessing a firearm violates parole and you could then have sweet revenge.
2016-6-11
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Have you recorded that man shooting?  If you have, you should turn the video to police and he will get trouble for firing in public with no good reason.

If you haven't, or didn't see that man, I don't think there's much police can do.  Just go to a different location next time. Things like this  do happen a lot in life.
2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"Anyone else have stuff like this happen to them?   "
"Unfortunately this is a reality we are going to have to get more and more accustomed to."
"Things like this  do happen a lot in life. "

This sort of thing only happens in a country awash with 300 million guns and millions of people with a gun fetish.
It doesn't happen in the civilised world.
2016-6-12
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

Thank you for turning this political.  Moron.
2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

knupla2 Posted at 2016-6-12 20:45

Who's the moron?
That's not political.
It's a simple common sense observation.
If you live in a country where people love shooting stuff like it's the wild west, that's what happens.
And that's something you might expect in Afghanistan, Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Iraq or that other one between Canada and Mexico.
It just doesn't happen in civilised countries.

2016-6-12
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-12 11:59
Who's the moron?
That's not political.

A civilised country wouldn't persecute the indigenous population.....ooops, now that is getting political.

Joking aside, drop the 'civilised' comment and I would agree with you, that is is to be expected in those countries with millions of armed residents, some of them very narrow minded, but that doesn't make the whole nation 'uncivilised'.
2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

malvern Posted at 2016-6-12 23:27
A civilised country wouldn't persecute the indigenous population.....ooops, now that is getting pol ...

Tell that to about 100 residents of Orlando today.
Bartbaric is the opposite of civilised and a country without the will to do anything about such atrocities that  happen regularly is barbaric.

Oscar WIlde said it well:
The USA is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
2016-6-12
Use props
dbensonp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

knupla2 Posted at 2016-6-12 05:45

knupla2,
  I get a kick out of "feriners" when they comment on the US as the "wild west" when it comes to gun owenership. Let's take a look at what happens when a civilized (correct spelling) nation like Aussieland gives up their right to bear arms. It has now been well over 10 years since gun owners in Australia were forced by new law to surrender 640,381 personal firearms to be destroyed by their own Government, a program costing Australia taxpayers more than $500 million dollars. The statistics for the years following the ban are now in: 1. Accidental gun deaths are 300% higher than the pre-1997 ban rate 2. The assault rate has increased 800% since 1991, and increased 200% since the 1997 gun ban. 3. Robbery and armed robbery have increase 20% from the pre-97 ban rate. 4. From immediately after the ban was instituted in 1997 through 2002, the robbery and armed robbery rate was up 200% over the pre-ban rates. 5. In the state of Victoria alone, homicides with firearms are now up 171 percent.  Wow, what a great idea that was! So guess what's next, the government will ban UAV's and this clown will be first in line to turn his in!
2016-6-12
Use props
showardsh1967
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2661 ft

Scary situation. But you used the word drone. Still does not give people the right to shoot at it. Quad copter is the new saying , But regardless of  what we call it someone would shoot at it.
2016-6-12
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Should have called the cops. I would have.
2016-6-12
Use props
malvern
lvl.4
United Kingdom

dbensonp Posted at 2016-6-12 14:54
knupla2,
  I get a kick out of "feriners" when they comment on the US as the "wild west" when it c ...

civilized and civilised is correct.
2016-6-12
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72867 ft

A lot of irresponsible gun owners out there.  Good thing you didn't confront this person.
2016-6-12
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

dbensonp Posted at 2016-6-12 15:54
knupla2,
  I get a kick out of "feriners" when they comment on the US as the "wild west" when it c ...

Can you please give us the source of these figures ?
NRA ?
2016-6-12
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2

PhanFran Posted at 2016-6-13 00:07
Can you please give us the source of these figures ?
NRA ?

Most likely the NRA.  They are the worst offenders of disinformation. Crime has dropped to historic levels because of this.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/05/gun-control-in-australia/
2016-6-12
Use props
Waxwings
lvl.2

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-12 18:59
Who's the moron?
That's not political.

Keep your political views to yourself...this is not the forum for that
2016-6-12
Use props
Waxwings
lvl.2

malvern Posted at 2016-6-12 23:08
civilized and civilised is correct.

ARE CORRECT!!!! LOL
2016-6-12
Use props
Ken R.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212303 ft
United States

Watch out for stills! LOL you never know. Them boys don't play!
2016-6-12
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-12 21:49
Tell that to about  60 residents of Orlando today.
Bartbaric is the opposite of civilised and a co ...

People use cars as weapons all the time. Should they be illegal? We had a guy rent an airplane and fly it into the IRS building here in Austin because he was pissed at them. Does this mean airplanes should be illegal? If guns are banned in your country, that means only the criminals have them. That doesn't sound like a country I'd like to live in. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. If they don't have a gun, they will find something else. Duct tape works too! (don't ask how I know this).

Barney
2016-6-12
Use props
Waxwings
lvl.2

I live in a area that is big for hunting...generally I don't worry about it though since a shotgun is only accurate for short distances and a rifle would have little chance of knocking a drone out of the sky unless you hover for an extended period. I usually fly high enough so that the quad is not attracting attention with its bee like sound. So far none of my neighbors have shown that they have stinger missiles so I should be ok. On a serious side I really think you should report the shotgun episode since once this behavior is tolerated it usually becomes normal practice at least for this idiot.
2016-6-12
Use props
PhanFran
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4804163 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-6-12 18:26
People use cars as weapons all the time. Should they be illegal? We had a guy rent an airplane and ...

Barney,

Every time the gun-laws are strengthened in Europe people protest because they want them still more strict and severe.
Guns don't kill people, there you are right. But when guns are all over the place it's much easier for a 'bad' guy' or a frustrated or angry 'good guy' to do something that he might regret 10 seconds later.
I guess it's just  a cultural difference between two parts of the world.Or should I say between the US and the rest of the world ? :-)
2016-6-12
Use props
tytlyf
lvl.2

Barney Rubbel Posted at 2016-6-13 00:26
People use cars as weapons all the time. Should they be illegal? We had a guy rent an airplane and ...

Correct, cars don't kill people like guns do.  Not even close to the same #.  Cars aren't designed to kill, neither are bananas.
Cars are heavily regulated for safety.  You need a license, registration, fees, insurance, training, etc.  Guns should have the same.
2016-6-12
Use props
J.N
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102333 ft
France

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-12 12:59
Who's the moron?
That's not political.

Dont waist your time mate.
2016-6-12
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 396470 ft
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-12 02:41
.If you live in a country where people love shooting stuff like it's the wild west, that's what happens.
And that's something you might expect in Afghanistan, Somalia, Libya, Yemen, Iraq or that other one between Canada and Mexico.
It just doesn't happen in civilised countries.

And the Port Arthur Massacre in Australia of 35 tourists and 23 wounded was civil?
It only took one guy with a "fetish" of guns
2016-6-12
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
United States

tytlyf Posted at 2016-6-12 10:42
Correct, cars don't kill people like guns do.  Not even close to the same #.  Cars aren't designed to kill, neither are bananas.
Cars are heavily regulated for safety.  You need a license, registration, fees, insurance, training, etc.  Guns should have the same...

Kitchen knives should have the same.
2016-6-12
Use props
Capt. Wild Bill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1319180 ft
  • >>>
United States

J.N Posted at 2016-6-13 02:04
Dont waist your time mate.

Yea mate, don't "waist" your time...

2016-6-12
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

185EZ Posted at 2016-6-13 04:02
Kitchen knives should have the same.

What a cute puppy you use as your avatar. Meanwhile in "old Germany" so called attack dogs and their holders need to pass frequent tests of psychological stability (including dog leash obligation). That law was forced after dozens of children lost their faces after being attacked by dogs e.g. on play grounds (and Germany has a very long tradition on breeding those dogs).
When I watch people's behaviour on our Autobahn (and how they use cars as weapons sometimes) I am very happy that they all don't have guns (lawfully), although quite a few own some (unlawfully).
I let my P3P fly in areas where a lot of hunting is done. But for now I am counting more on hawk attacks than on gun shots bringing my drone down.
Last Sunday it fell out of the sky because of losing one prop, most probably due to the "Motor obstructed" circuit... So the enemy seems more likely to be found inside than being an external thread.
2016-6-12
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
United States

vr-pilot Posted at 2016-6-12 14:30
What a cute puppy you use as your avatar. Meanwhile in "old Germany" so called attack dogs and thei ...

Another uneducated response on Dobermans
and uneducated on using cars as weapons
next thing you'll say is that airplanes aren't used to kill people because pilots make educated decisions
Maybe I can put a pretty picture of a flower in my avatar for your sensitive side
but you'll find it as a weapon to choke on, hopefully
2016-6-12
Use props
vr-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4668169 ft

185EZ Posted at 2016-6-13 05:38
Another uneducated response on Dobermans
and uneducated on using cars as weapons
next thing you'll ...

We have made our own experience in Germany with pilots and educated decisions. There will always be something or someone endangering the lives of others.
The problem is: danger cannot be prevented ultimately, but it should at least be reduced effectively.
2016-6-12
Use props
Rex59
lvl.3
Flight distance : 24354 ft
United States

"Another uneducated response on Dobermans."

And another well intended thread gone right down the tubes.

Not picking on you 185EZ as I love Dobermans. Yours just happened to be the last post in this thread that self destructed a long time ago.
2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

dbensonp Posted at 2016-6-12 23:54
knupla2,

And if you believe the people that spread those lies without checking the real situation for yourself, you are a gullible sucker.
Try reading the link provided in post #15.
No more on the topic from me because as someone rightly said, this isn't the forum for that.
2016-6-12
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
United States

Rex59 Posted at 2016-6-12 15:02
"Another uneducated response on Dobermans."

And another well intended thread gone right down the tu ...

You're good.
Thread is way out of whack especially when someone goes to the length of bringing up the past about an avatar and something that happened many years ago.

To the op, I wouldn't approach someone who may have shot at my personal property.
Let the police handle it.
2016-6-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

185EZ Posted at 2016-6-13 04:47
And the Port Arthur Massacre in Australia of 35 tourists and 23 wounded was civil?
It only took on ...

Yes, Australia learned from that. Did you?
2016-6-12
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-12 16:07

labroide seemed to miss the point that it doesn't happen in his country
We all learn
Doesn't mean it won't happen again
To say you live in a perfect civilized world without vulneralbilities is like closing your eyes to say it will never happen again.
good luck with that
2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

185EZ Posted at 2016-6-13 09:35
labroide seemed to miss the point that it doesn't happen in his country
We all learn
Doesn't mean i ...

Sorry, I can't help myself.

Horrible things can happen anywhere.
Australians are very conscious that a notorious massacre happened here.
That's not the point.
But Australia had the will to do something about it and make it much more unlikely to happen again.
Unlike another country well known for frequent massacres and mass shootings.
If they did nothing following Sandy Hook, they never will.
2016-6-12
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

tytlyf Posted at 2016-6-13 01:42
Correct, cars don't kill people like guns do.  Not even close to the same #.  Cars aren't designed ...

Guns are also designed for DEFENSE.   

Wherever you are, you are safe because of US guns.   When America stops defending your little corner of the world you'll desperately wish you had a few in your possession.   Just wait...it's coming.
In the USA we have this thing called a Constitution that has created the greatest nation on the planet.
In that Constitution, Americans have a RIGHT to bear arms.So considering your nations GDP is a fraction of ours, I would say our Constitution created a better place.

It does not give them the right to drive automobiles.

2016-6-12
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer

PhanFran Posted at 2016-6-13 01:08
Barney,

Every time the gun-laws are strengthened in Europe people protest because they want them s ...

We're allowed to have guns to save ourselves from our own Government. We might need them pretty soon the way things are going.

My apologies to the OP for going off beat. I agree with the majority. Let the cops handle it if it comes to a confrontation. Certainly don't START a confrontation!
2016-6-12
Use props
185EZ
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-12 16:07

The mass killings today was done by a security guard who had licenses and all permits to legally buy firearms and was also under the radar of the police for some time.
Background checks can only go so far
If anyone can come up with a logical answer then good luck with that too.
It's not whether or not it will happen again,
it's when will it happen again
2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Cessna172 Posted at 2016-6-13 09:49
Guns are also designed for DEFENSE.   

Wherever you are, you are safe because of US guns.   When A ...

That's the great US gun cult delusion.
The US brings a lot more war to the world than any protection they may contribute to.
2016-6-12
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-13 07:53
That's the great US gun cult delusion.
The US brings a lot more ware to the world than any protecti ...

You Seriously need to study crime figures across the globe....and layoff the MSM false information.

America is one of the safest places on Earth.    The majority of gun violence here is number one - suicides and number two is gang on gang violence.

Not sure where you're getting your info but Canda and UK have far more per capita assualts, robberies and rape.   And that's because criminals like helpless victims.
However, if it makes you happy, the number of shootings like the one today will probably increase as more people bent on terrorism are given a welcome mat and a generous helping of US taxpayer dollars to boot for being shipped here.

The idiot who shot at the drone is just that.  An idiot.   And he needs to be caught and punished.   That incident is not indicative of the vast majority of responsible US gun owners by and measure.
2016-6-12
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules