Phantom 3 Dead zone / low signal depending on orientation
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_
lvl.3
United States

I don't remember exactly what angle it is but there is definitely a particular orientation that creates a situation where the signal is suddenly really low. Basically, the antenna is on one of the legs and whenever the drone is oriented just right relative to the remote control, there is a sudden drop in signal strength. I came to this conclusion, not after one flight, but after dozens of flights in different cities. What is causing this and is there a simple, inexpensive upgrade that would allow for strong signal regardless of orientation?
2016-6-12
Use props
Nicola90s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3060869 ft
Italy

Hi David_!

The best orientation is when the antenna on the remote controller are orthogonal to the x-axis of the aircraft, look also the picture below.
IMG_0022.jpg
2016-6-12
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

Have you tried this first:

2016-6-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The Pro and Advanced have 4 antennas, one in each leg to minimise this.
I'm not sure about the standard but it probably has at least two like the P2 serias had.
Just be aware that your signal level may be weak at certain oriantations and if you encounter this, change orientation to fix it.
2016-6-12
Use props
David_
lvl.3
United States

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-13 06:15
The Pro and Advanced have 4 antennas, one in each leg to minimise this.
I'm not sure about the stand ...

Your answer is the closest to being correct. The others misunderstood the issue and assumed that my remote antenna wasn't in the correct orientation. I agree that there is an optimal position for the remote antenna BUT, in a controlled test, given a remote with a fixed antenna position, (in any position), as you rotate the drone (when it is far away), there is a clear drop in signal when the drone is in certain angles relative to the remote. Essentially, there are dead zones. THIS is the issue I'm referring to. I believe it is related to the antennas on the legs as you imply. I'm simply looking for the best way to fix it so that it is not an issue.
2016-6-13
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

David_ Posted at 2016-6-13 18:31
Your answer is the closest to being correct. The others misunderstood the issue and assumed that my ...

I suspect it's just physics and the DJI designers have done what they could to minimise it.
We just have to live with it and work around the small limitation.
With Lightbridge and 4 antennas, you hardly notice it.
2016-6-13
Use props
panofi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1219734 ft

Hi David. If you mean the Wi-Fi signal there is a reason. Inside the craft there are two antennas for the Wi-Fi, left and right. I don't know about third  in the front. When you see the quad from left or right, your RC antennas facing directly to the quad antennas. Many times when I lost Wi-Fi signal, tern it 90 degrees left or right and it's back again.
2016-6-13
Use props
David_
lvl.3
United States

panofi Posted at 2016-6-14 01:04
Hi David. If you mean the Wi-Fi signal there is a reason. Inside the craft there are two antennas fo ...

Exactly. That is the issue. What I am asking is if there is an inexpensive mod that eliminates that dead zone.
2016-6-13
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

David_ Posted at 2016-6-14 09:36
Exactly. That is the issue. What I am asking is if there is an inexpensive mod that eliminates tha ...

You can DIY a range booster with a soda can cut in half and some glue. Not sure if it will eliminates the dead zone, but it will definitely increase your range.
2016-6-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The simple answrer is that the dead zone does exist, it is a fact of life, and you just have to deal with it. There are no magical mods or fixes for it. As for things like 'beer can antennas', they can do more mischief than good. Proper antenna design is a very precise art, and requires the components of the antenna to be constructed to correct sizes, shapes and materials, Bunging a beer can on your antennas is not science, it is just plain silly, and it could actually end up damaging the transmission systems in your RC unit.
2016-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules