First crash, well, not exactly...
1097 6 2015-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
euwingtham
lvl.1

Australia

Hello,

Onto my 9th flight. Tried to take off from an uneven ground (patches of grass), and while the Phantom was spinning to take off, it got unstable and fell on its back. The front two rotors were still spinning, but the back two was stuck on the grass. Turned it off, and checked. Nothing broke, no cracks, nothing, just dirt and grass. Tried to fly it again, all went well, and landed smoothly too. It seemed like as though nothing happened, but...

Should I be worried that something is wrong, and I should check it up first before continue flying? Or nothing to be worried about?

2015-1-21
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

It happens.  Sounds like it is fine.  I've done it too.

Jamie
2015-1-21
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nothing to be worried about. Prop guards usually fix that type of takeoff crash.

I usually push my stick a bit forward as I pull the Phantom off the ground to avoid this...obviously it may depend on the slope of the ground. You can also hand launch.....once you get the confidence to do so.
2015-1-21
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

And don't baby it off the ground, take off.
2015-1-21
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes, jamie is right.  EARLY in the flight, it doesnt have stability yet, you have to 'go for it' to get off the ground a few feet and then let off.  thats what ive found best approach.
2015-1-21
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

they are correct, get some altitude quickly, even if just five feet.
2015-1-21
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

One time, and one time only..on take off, I tried going forward and taking off at the same time!..kind of by accident..Bad idea!..but it was by accident!
At first I could not figure out what happened but realized I had up and forward going on at the same time...I was just excited to be a flying!
It does not take much forward while taking off and whoops!...over she went!..fortunately, just a bit of private embarrassment! And I knew what I did!
When you are taking off....just take off, eh! And give it!
2015-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules