1892 7 2016-6-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Captain Jimbo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 624196 ft
New Zealand

Hi team

I have been using my Inspire pro for work for about 6 months now and it is a beast. does everything i have asked from it.  Mainly used for 3d modelling using pix4d but also video inspections.

however since upgrading to 1.8.1 all the models i have tried to make in pix4d have had a big curve in them and no matter how many GCP's i put in it doesn't fix it, it just curves in between the GCP's.

this seems to be the issue no matter which app i use, ive tried dji go and pix4d capture on both android and apple. and tried processing in agisoft photoscan and pix4d  both with and without geolocation.

however when i downgrade the firmware of the aircraft and camera it goes back to how it was with nice flat models how they are supposed to be.
the trouble with this is the pix4d capture app doesnt work with the old firmware and i need it to get a decent overlap on some big jobs i have coming up.

This leads me to believe that somehow the new firmware must do something to the actual photos.

anyone else had an issue like this / have any ideas?

pix4d capture on ipad

pix4d capture on ipad

DJI go on android

DJI go on android

pix4d capture on apple                                                 dji go on android

Cheers

pix4d on ipad mini

pix4d on ipad mini

dji go Samsung tablet

dji go Samsung tablet
2016-6-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>

Have you had this discussion with Pix4D?
2016-6-13
Use props
Captain Jimbo
lvl.3
New Zealand

Yea i have been discussing ideas with them for a few weeks now, they have had a few ideas but nothing has worked so far.
i went out and had another go this morning and noticed that when the drone is flying the camera isn't pointing straight down when it thinks that it is.  i used the adjust gimbal roll function in the dji go app to get it reasonably straight down then had another go using pix4d capture and when it came back after the mission the camera was back on a slight angle again?
is there some way to keep the settings from the dji app when using pix4d capture?
2016-6-13
Use props
Janne_H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108898 ft
Finland

Inspire has a micro four thirds censor and all mfc censors has lens-profile correction built in to the camera. In photogrammetry this causes problems because the focal lenght exif-info is not correct after the built in lens-correction. (For example my 24mm Olympus real focal lenght after the lens correction is 25,4 mm)
Try to shoot in raw and process images in some software (most older photo softwares) that can't read the built-in lens correction values. I use myself Photomatix's single image batch processing.

It would be nice if DJI would put a option to let the user choose whether to use or disable the auto correction.

edit: X5 and X5R has a micro four thirds censor..
2016-6-14
Use props
Captain Jimbo
lvl.3
New Zealand

Janne_H Posted at 2016-6-14 20:31
Inspire has a micro four thirds censor and all mfc censors has lens-profile correction built in to t ...

hi,

thanks for the knowledge! i am just starting our with photogrammetry so I dont know alot yet.

do you know if there is a way to edit the lens correction if i have taken the photos as jpeg?
2016-9-19
Use props
fansefa80892
New

Malaysia

Hi, is your problem solved? I had same problem with P3P. The curved earth model happened no matter how much GCP I applied, and no matter which software I used. I tried agisoft, 3Dsurvey, and also processed it on cloud drone deploy. The model still curved
2017-11-25
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

It looks like you have very little overlap here although it's hard to tell looking at your cameras from the side. Could you give us a screenshot from above the cameras or better still post the PDF quality report.

Mark G.
2017-11-27
Use props
Captain Jimbo
lvl.3
New Zealand

fansefa80892 Posted at 2017-11-25 10:05
Hi, is your problem solved? I had same problem with P3P. The curved earth model happened no matter how much GCP I applied, and no matter which software I used. I tried agisoft, 3Dsurvey, and also processed it on cloud drone deploy. The model still curved

Hi,

the only thing i found that worked was to do a lens calibration on the X5 camera every couple of flights using a process that i found on another thread on the forum. and then set the camera on to manual focus and set it at infinity.do a couple of test photos once you have done the calibration to make sure the photos are very crisp as any blur in them will ruin your plan.
2017-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules