Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
camera is not pointing straight ahead
17004 38 2016-6-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

hy folks,

the camera is not pointing straight ahead, she points to the right.
i have been checking this issue here on the forum, but did not found a way to calibrate the camera straight ahead.
- contacts are clean
- i reset the camera menu
- checked through all points i found

so, there must be a other way to do it?

thanks for help

ernest

2016-6-18
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Ernest, first thing I would do is a IMU calibration , make sure the surface is perfectly flat and level and stay out of the room for 10- minutes during the procedure because even floor vibration can effect  the accuracy ,  then do a camera gimbal calibration .

After that I would also Do a RC  Stick calibration  as well.  This will give you the best chance for a Straight facing camera.  

Do this RC calibration  espescially if using a second "Slave " transmitter for the camera .  

Also there is a nice feature that can be used in flight, press the C2 button on the back of the RC at the same time click and  scroll the Iso wheel  on the top right of transmitter.  This will bring up a Green Lines Cross +  to help adjust the camera to level . Works great once you get the process down .

good luck , hope this helps

donnie

2016-6-18
Use props
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

thx donnie,
i did the IMU calibration, also the RC Stick too, the cam still loves to look to the right...
The 3th tipp i have to check on this, next morning. we have just a strom coming up...
time to timelapse a bit...

ok, will see...

2016-6-18
Use props
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

Immer Posted at 2016-6-18 20:21
thx donnie,
i did the IMU calibration, also the RC Stick too, the cam still loves to look to the rig ...

"Also there is a nice feature that can be used in flight, press the C2 button on the back of the RC at the same time click and  scroll the Iso wheel  on the top right of transmitter. ..."

this is cool to use, but does not hit my problem.

But so far,
i'm still trying to get the camera straight. If i turn the inspire 1 on, she calibrates the cam as usual, then the cam points 3 to 5 degree to the right.
i can pan her straight, using the master RC, but leaving the stick lose, she turns back. if i touch the FPV, she also turns to the right. so, this must be the programmed direction of the gimbal.

i now did serval times all the calibrations you can and are supposed to do.
i have the latest firmware running on the aircraft, camera and RC's.

well i think, i need more inputs to get right with this issue.
still any suggestions around the corner?

thx, ernest
2016-6-19
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Immer Posted at 2016-6-19 07:28
"Also there is a nice feature that can be used in flight, press the C2 button on the back of the R ...

I wonder if the Motor on the servo gear is stripped or has jumped teeth in the gear . With it being 5 degrees off, that  is what may have happened

I find the "C2 Iso " to work great in the Air because that is where the shot is taken . ( Just found the setting and thought it may help )

Sorry you are still having  trouble .

Also , I noticed on mine that it is slightly" offset " (Not 5 degrees but a little)  as well, I wonder if it matters in the air relative to the subject.  

Maybe some other members can chime in with their ideas and we can solve this , if it is  indeed solvable via a settings menu adjustment and not a motor or gear problem

donnie

2016-6-19
Use props
woodielb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78061552 ft
United States

Have you tried the "reset gimbal yaw" on the left side of the app screen?
2016-6-19
Use props
Jim09
lvl.3
United States

Mine is also off to the right ... Not enough to bother me though.  Can't notice it in flight... Maybe a degree or two
2016-6-19
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

What determines the center point on the pan motor is a magnetized indexing nut. (Pictured below)
The polarity of it tells the motor where to stop. (There are no teeth involved.)
How it got moved from the factory preset will probably never be known.
Might have been a rough landing, vibration, or ??? Doesn't really matter.
The fact is, that it needs adjusting.
But, if you have a little technical skill it can be easily adjusted.
t61.jpg
There are 3 screws that hold the top cover on. That cover holds the circular circuit board down. This board does not need to be removed (ribbons unplugged)
to adjust the nut. It can be lifted gently, then turn the nut by the amount and in the direction needed to correct the centering of the gimbal.
Re-attach gimbal and check it. (Just set the cover in place at this point) If further tweaking is needed, simply remove gimbal and re-adjust the nut.
Once it is calibrated back to center, then re-install the cover screws and you're done.

Of course, this will void any warranty.. but if you want to fix it yourself, and quickly, this is the fix.
Or... you could send it off to repair shop. Your choice. Your equipment.
2016-6-19
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-19 18:43
What determines the center point on the pan motor is a magnetized indexing nut. (Pictured below)
The ...

Nice share AM

Rich
2016-6-19
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks!!
Been there and done it.
2016-6-19
Use props
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-20 03:43
The ...

well, well, well.... thx you a bloody bus load full for this answer.
i'm going to adjust this. i was thinking i'm going complete silly on it. what a relive.
thanks
ernest

(at least with the sound we slowly get right) check it here  
2016-6-20
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-19 20:43
The ...

That is very interesting , how did you discover this information ?  Also is the nut Polarity only on one side of the Nut ? I find this strange , but if it works, great. ( Perhaps the Nut is just a Nut and the turning of the nut just changes the center Point )

Not trying to be smart a _ _   , just trying to understand .

donnioe

2016-6-20
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I had an X5 break at the main pan pivot and on disassembling it found this. I was also warned by njabinc to index or mark the nut to retain it's orientation. He's the one that hipped me to it. The nut itself is an alnico magnet and it's polarity is picked up by the stator of the brushless motor that moves the gimbal. That's how it 'knows' where the center is. I believe it is magnetized so that the poles run point to point through the nut. Makes sense, as the stator would sense direction from it just the same way a compass points to north.
    (It isn't actually a nut, in that it is not threaded, nor does it hold down anything. It really is a hexagon shaped washer that sits on a shaft. Cut to hexagon shape so it can be rotated and also so it has an index indicator.)
     See this thread ( http://forum.dji.com/thread-47499-1-1.html ) for more details and pictures of the autopsy of a broken X5.
     I knew I had no warranty to be concerned with, so I dissected it to see if I could fix it. I couldn't and ended up selling it as is to a guy on eBay for $600.
     Turns out that njabinc is working on making cnc replacement parts machined from a solid piece of aluminum alloy that promises to be much stronger. This part will no doubt be re-engineered by DJI on future production as it is a true weakness and most likely an oversight. This is said to be the "Achilles' Heel" of the X5.
     Best believe that I treat my new one like it is made of glass!!!
2016-6-20
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Immer Posted at 2016-6-20 19:29
well, well, well.... thx you a bloody bus load full for this answer.
i'm going to adjust this. i  ...

You're welcome! Knowlege shared is knowlege gained.

Very nice! I take it that you recorded the sound of the water and dubbed it over the video? I don't hear the drone's swarm of bees!!
I bet that is a trylu relaxing spot.
2016-6-20
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-20 17:33
I had an X5 break at the main pan pivot and on disassembling it found this. I was also warned b ...

Very interesting, I love when Pilots figure this sort of stuff out, It does make perfect sense now also that it is not an actual "Nut " but has the design for proper tooling and orientation  

This one is a keeper and I hope that Ernest does this adjustment and keeps us updated of his experience, mine only being off by a degree or two does not warrant dissection at this point but I will definitely be implementing this procedure in the future .

Love it,
thanks

donnie
2016-6-21
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes, it makes perfect sense.
It's amazing that with all of this technology we still need something as primitive as a magnet to align it !!!!!

2016-6-21
Use props
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-21 00:37
You're welcome! Knowlege shared is knowlege gained.

Very nice! I take it that you recorded the s ...

yes, we hang two mikros down, aprox 1.8 meter.
one pointing upwards to the sound of the drone, one down to what we plan to record. as soon we are airborne, we point the camera down and start recording the sound. for the synch, we simple use a clapperboard. the we let the cam roll. the sound is taken by a cheap recording device.
to take the sound from the drone off, we use audioprocessing software. as you can hear, it is ok, but we are a long way from the ultimaitve kick. for loud stuff like carracing or this river it works. but to hear the gras growing - no way

ernest
2016-6-22
Use props
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-22 02:42
Yes, it makes perfect sense.
It's amazing that with all of this technology we still need something a ...

ok, after working around for serval hours i have found two ways. to levae it as it is or the gimbal goes berserk.
i was using a aluminimn 8mm socket wrenches just to make shure i do not harm the magnetic nut.
the imu and compass calibartions are made more than one time.
it's time to get some beer and do some calibartion on myself, before i have tomorough a other try.
so far, nothing goes.
ernest
2016-6-22
Use props
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

Immer Posted at 2016-6-22 17:51
ok, after working around for serval hours i have found two ways. to levae it as it is or the gimba ...

so, new day new go on it. i turned the nut 180 degree, two light adjustments, and the camera is no looking straight forward.
thank you again, live can be good.

Ernest
2016-6-23
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Glad you got it straightened out.
2016-6-23
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Immer Posted at 2016-6-23 07:31
so, new day new go on it. i turned the nut 180 degree, two light adjustments, and the camera is no ...

Turning the nut 180 degrees sounds very odd, I thought it would be a small adjustment  to "just Tweek it " but if that works, so be it .

donnie
2016-6-23
Use props
Immer
lvl.1

Switzerland

Donnie Posted at 2016-6-23 16:36
Turning the nut 180 degrees sounds very odd, I thought it would be a small adjustment  to "just Tw ...

yep donnie, we thought this too. no the fact is, after a crash i send the drone to holland, they look after the swiss market and they fixed it.
it came back, the cam was not straight. i had no time to send it back. so after moving the nut only very little yesterday, this did not work. so my friend came up this morning, turned the nut 180 and what happend....
it is straight. we do not touch it, it works. (hope for a while)

Ernest
2016-6-23
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

Immer Posted at 2016-6-23 09:43
yep donnie, we thought this too. no the fact is, after a crash i send the drone to holland, they l ...

Just in hindsight , do you think you may have loaded the wrong FW to the Camera ?  Say the Pro on the Raw or Vice versa.

i have a friend with the similar  problem, the camera is pointing  about 30 degrees to the right after initialization , I think he loaded the Pro when he owns the Raw, Just curious as to what you think

donnie
2016-8-20
Use props
mla
lvl.2

My camera was pointing about 45 degrees to the right, About the time that problem occurred we started having weird level horizon issues where the horizon would drift off level mid flight. I wonder if this is related to the gross misalignment of the magnet. BTW I did the fix and now almost perfectly straight again, hopefully the horizon issues will go away with the fix.
2016-9-7
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

mla Posted at 2016-9-7 11:41
My camera was pointing about 45 degrees to the right, About the time that problem occurred we starte ...

Did you take it apart to fix it ?  Like others have done , and re- align the magnet ? If so was there a reference mark to work with ?

donnie
2016-9-7
Use props
mla
lvl.2

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-8 00:53
Did you take it apart to fix it ?  Like others have done , and re- align the magnet ? If so was the ...

there wasn't a mark that I could see other than the fact that when straight the nut was lined up straight so that one to the 6 flat sides was perpendicular to the nose of the aircraft.
2016-9-7
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

mla Posted at 2016-9-7 12:06
there wasn't a mark that I could see other than the fact that when straight the nut was lined up s ...

Thanks, that helps alot , a friend of mine has the same problem on his.

donnie
2016-9-7
Use props
jklee0124.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1157592 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

My new inspire1 raw has a same problem.
Pan right a little.
So how do i fix it?
Should i fixing magnetized indexing nut?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
2016-9-9
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

jklee0124.gmail Posted at 2016-9-10 01:56
My new inspire1 raw has a same problem.
Pan right a little.
So how do i fix it?

Make sure you do the IMU and the Camera Gimbal calibration first before you  try this .  Also make sure you are in follow mode not FPV.

I dont quite understand the Pic's, perhaps expand them or rotate.  cant really see the camera
Also if you recently updatred make SURE  you loaded the Raw firmware and not the Pro , this can cause a problem like this as well.

donnie
2016-9-10
Use props
jklee0124.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
Indonesia

Donnie Posted at 2016-9-11 03:05
Make sure you do the IMU and the Camera Gimbal calibration first before you  try this .  Also make  ...

Thank you donnie.

Yes i did it several times.
FW up and down, imu,compass,camera calibration.

See this photos.

Silver zukio lens is my x5r
Black dji lens is my friends x5r
Can you feel different?
Yes, my x5r is not in center. Thats problem.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
2016-9-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

jklee0124.gmail Posted at 2016-9-11 05:52
Thank you donnie.

Yes i did it several times.

Do you have the stock DJI 15mm lens and if so, do you notice this happening with that lens as well? How balanced is the camera with your Zukio lens?
2016-9-10
Use props
jklee0124.gmail
lvl.1
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-11 10:05
Do you have the stock DJI 15mm lens and if so, do you notice this happening with that lens as well ...

Hi jamie

Thats not a point.
Lens and balance as well.
Problem is gimbal itself wrong center front.
I had a dji15mm and 12,17,25,45 zukio.
Every lens work well.

I already report to dji distributor and thats not a setting or software problem.
Thats 100% hardware problem.

Hopefully they will be fix it my problem.

Thank you.
2016-9-10
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

jklee0124.gmail Posted at 2016-9-11 01:23
Hi jamie

Thats not a point.

It very well could be that nut is out of position ,be very careful if you attempt it.It takes only a tiny amount of movement to align it.

I have never done it personally , but be cautious or send it in .
Aeromirage posted above has some good tips if you attempt it.

donnie
2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

jklee0124.gmail Posted at 2016-9-11 14:23
Hi jamie

Thats not a point.

I wanted to ensure that the issue is not due to imbalance. In order to keep the warranty in tact, it would be recommend to send the X5 in for a repair service.
2016-9-11
Use props
Jay Lee
lvl.1
  • >>>
Indonesia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-9-12 07:07
I wanted to ensure that the issue is not due to imbalance. In order to keep the warranty in tact,  ...

Hi jamie.
Yes my x5r is fresh.
i just get it on 8,sep. and only 1time 6minute test flight gently.
Every step something i try (ex. flight, firmware up/down, imu-compass-gimbal-rc calibration)
getting worth and worth.

when just out of box, gimbal yaw around 5-10 deg right.
thats acceptable, because 3 of my zenmuze z-15 series has same yaw problem (yaw right around 5deg)

i had S800,900,1000 with Z15 and Phantom 1,2,3,4 and inspire1 v1.
also i help to setup my friends dji unit more than 50unit.

But my new X5R very strange and i never seen before.getting worth and worth drift to right.
now she looking around 70-80deg right.
other axis is ok (tilt & roll) also gimbal working normal except yaw drift.

Yes i feel its not a software or setup problem.
Gimbal looks something loose from the factory.
i will bring it to dji service tomorrow.

Thank you for your comment.

2016-9-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Jay Lee Posted at 2016-9-12 11:09
Hi jamie.
Yes my x5r is fresh.
i just get it on 8,sep. and only 1time 6minute test flight gently.

Good to hear, please keep us posted.
2016-9-11
Use props
fansb386b824
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22369 ft

Colombia

Hi, I have a Phantom 4 and I had the same problem with the Yaw motor pointing sideways, so what I did was to place my dron with the camera pointing upwards leaning on the two rear motors and I did a calibration of the gimbal on that one position and worked, I do not know if in the Inspire will do the same.
2017-10-12
Use props
fans6ad0e2ad
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1024767 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think I may have found a much simpler way to adjust the gimbal back to centre. In Gimbal settings set your C1 button on the bottom of the controller to toggle between gimbal Yaw and Gimbal Tilt, whilst in yaw mode straighten the camera with the corner control wheel (normally camera Tilt) then switch C1 back to tilt mode. The camera will stay centred unless you hit the centre gimbal C2 button. It's not a permanent fix but it will work every time.
2018-2-5
Use props
BeeMaina
lvl.1

Kenya

Aeromirage Posted at 2016-6-19 17:43
The polarity of it tells the motor where to stop. (There are no teeth involved.)
How it got moved from the factory preset will probably never be known.
[Image]

Would this work for the zenmuse L1 with m300?
4-15 00:15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules