Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5R & Cinelight issues
4455 8 2016-6-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gojic
New

Australia

G'day , I'm on a feature right now & we just recieved our X5R ( on an osmo ) & we are having some teething issues. Some of this is just first gen gremlins & some are feature requests I'd like to see in later versions.

X5R issues
When the dji go app is connected to the X5R the display is mirrorred so it's displaying right as left, but hit record or playback a clip & it reverts to the correct orientation. Linking the app to the X5 & the display behaves as normal without having changed any settings.

When the X5R is turned off it reverts from the 24 frames we selected to 25, at least that's what Cinelight says, loading the same footage into resolve after importing the CineDNG it reads as 24. Is there a frame rate switch or is the X5R not correctly informing the DJI Go App that it's 24fps ?

The colour space options selectable in the Go App are those LUT's applied only to the proxy's or does that affect the RAW recording ? Again you would think that it wouldn't but there's no documentation stating what the options actually do.

CineLight

Version 0.9.9 ( the version that came on the SSD ) reads all footage on the ssd & imported to a drive as a monochromatic pink (as seen in this thread) , the scopes in the app however show normal colour. It loads into Davinci fine. Version 0.9.26 off the website loads the images correctly

screenshot from linked thread

The lack of checksum or logging options on the transfer is terrifying. Sure it may do it internally but I as the user can't see it, & if there was every an issue with the footage I can't go to the checksum or the log to show that it wasn't my fault, so like I said terrifying.  

When transferring footage CineLight shows time remaining on the clip not time remaining if you have multiple clips transfering. If that wasn't a possibility then maybe a transfer speed would do so we can do the math ourselves.

User Documentation & First Time Experience

For a Pro product that costs as much as this does & will be used in high end productions the documentation available for the CineLight & X5R is woefully thin. A lot of the intiial setup has been trial and error which when your burning someone elses money just isn't acceptable for a "Pro" product.

There is also a strong need for a post production white paper or tutorials that lays out best practice for offloading, transcoding & getting the RAW into post production packages like AVID, Davinci etc. I've worked with ArriRAW, RED all of which have excellent resources but this was my first time with a CineDNG producing camera & having a trusted source demonstrating how best to work with the files would have been a real confidence booster.

Overall I love what this camera does & I'd say the X5R will have the same impact that the release of the Canon 5D had on the industry. If DJI wants this product to be taken seriously then addressing some of these issues would go a long way.

2016-6-19
Use props
gojic
New

Australia

Update on the X5R

X5R owner / operators check your recordings on the SSD against the recordings on your phone / SD card. Shooting friday, today the assistant editor was going through the camera sheets verus the clips delivered & found two seperate occasions when the X5R failed to record multiple RAW clips to the SSD when the device was used during a take. In both times the operator buttoned on correctly  as the shots have been correctly recorded onto the SD card & the iphone used to control it.

Loading the SSD into Cinelight the clips are sequentially numbered as if nothing was wrong. Because I can't see the drive & inspect it myself or use a checksum or another data management tool, we had no idea that anything was wrong until well after we had wrapped, now we have a bunch of shots missing & a camera we can't trust to record when we need it too.

So don't get caught out like we did, after you've done shooting load the SSD into Cinelight check what you have in the sidebar matches what you have on the iphone / SD card.

Also don't bother to call tech support like I did, the big stony silence followed by "well we've never had that happen before" really helps instill a sense of confindence in the camera & DJI.
2016-6-19
Use props
RevUS
lvl.1

United States

In order for Cinelight to read an SSD we have to reboot the computer between each SSD swap. This is unacceptable DJI. FIX IT NOW. Your lack of pre-launch product testing and poor customer service is appalling.

OSX 10.11.5
Cinelight 0.9.26

Rebooting in recovery mode (cmd +r) and going into disk utility to highlight the DJI drive before normal boot up enabled Cinelight to read the SSD several times without rebooting the computer, but after about 5 or 6 SSD swaps AFTER THE CMD+R reboot Cinelight stopped recognizing drives.

2016-6-20
Use props
Northseasurfer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32184951 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agree with all posts above. Please release more detailed documentation on Cinelight and workflow options. I'm currently engaged on a major feature providing aerials with the X5R and I would love to have more confidence in the system.
2016-6-21
Use props
Helix
lvl.1

Canada

I agree with the above statements as well. There are very obviously production-hindering problems that should have been fixed before launching the product. Please hire a cinematographer/editor to tell you what needs to be done in order to call this product "professional" level. Some of my problems and suggestions are as follows:

I could be doing something wrong but the proxies I have don't match the frame count on the DNG sequences. The proxies are always short by about 4 to 6 frames. Is anyone else having this issue?

We need to be able to check the space used on the SSD, to see the files and to copy all files directly from the SSD. This is for troubleshooting and to be able to check if the files offloaded properly.

I shouldn't need to restart my computer every time I plug in the SSD.

Some basic things like the ability to set In and Out points should be added to Cinelight.

I’m not sure if there's an easier way to add in the DNG sequences to Premiere separately. Currently I have to add each DNG sequence individually and wait for it to finish loading before I import another shot. This is redundant. Hopefully a hero can tell me how to do it easier or DJI can fix it.

Please add an option in the DJI Go app to keep the shutter 180 degrees so we can switch framerates and know that the shutter angle is where it needs to be.

Currently this is a nightmare. Please help us!

PS. I don't care about Grammar Check or Emojis in Cinelight but it's nice to have haha.
2016-7-10
Use props
matty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18656654 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Agree with everything above including restarts to read SSD, and totally missing raw sequences after buttoning on correctly.
I've also just posted another severe issue in which CineLight has failed to transcode my files and I have assumed they transcoded OK (no file checksum tools thanks DJI), and have discovered that half my footage from the morning is totally corrupted.

DJI, any response to this???

2016-7-18
Use props
gravity
lvl.1
  • >>>
Canada

We are fully up-to-date with software and running on a high end powermac and this is what we are getting from Cinelight.Needless to say, it is not meant to be purple.

cinelight purple error half size.jpg
2016-7-24
Use props
HeavyDragon
lvl.1
United States

Agree with all posts here.  SSD will NOT mount reliably under OS X and multiple shots were NOT recorded to SSD or SD card though buttoned correctly (and shots exist in DJI Go App).

DJI - This is simply UNACCEPTABLE.  Please fix your products.

Thanks...

2016-7-28
Use props
aladdin
lvl.1
Australia

Mine is only on some of the footage and their crap customer service said i have a faulty sensor but never had this issue until the latest firmware update. Since they use different chipset in all their x5r the firmware will not be compatible with all the x5r causing this issue and sending it back is not a solution as they wont do anything. I sent my ronin in and no fix but was with out it for two months and now they want me to send this back with again no fix. See image below
?dl=0
2016-7-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules