Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FINAL FAA Regulations Released Today (Read!!)
123Next >
4495 105 2016-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

The FAA and DOT have released the finalized operation rules for all UAS. Definitely worth taking a few minutes to read. Here is the press release: https://www.faa.gov/news/press_r ... ry.cfm?newsId=20515

Here are the regulations: http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf
2016-6-21
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3014675 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is an interesting line item "Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of the visual observer"

This leads me to believe that they've extended the VLOS to not just the operator having to have VLOS, but if the visual observer has VLOS, then that is OK, too.....because they say ALTERNATIVELY, meaning the operator does NOT need to maintain VLOS if there is an observer that does.
2016-6-21
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-21 08:11
This is an interesting line item "Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of th ...

Yes, I believe that is the case. Glad you brought that up, it will be good for us to deliberate/ interpret some of these things so we're all on the same page
2016-6-21
Use props
kencredible
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11004 ft
United States

FInally! This is great!
2016-6-21
Use props
diiennojs
lvl.1

United States

The section about transportation or for hire..... I read but don't fully understand. What exactly are they saying?
2016-6-21
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

diiennojs Posted at 2016-6-21 11:17
The section about transportation or for hire..... I read but don't fully understand. What exactly ar ...

My interpretation of that is if you want to carry something with your quadcopter and get paid to do that for someone.    They would consider your quadcopter 'transporting' something else...total weight of your craft and the cargo cannot exceed 55lbs.
2016-6-21
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I do wonder about the other section, tho:  "Remote Pilot in Command Certification and Responsibilities"

This entire section makes it sound like EVERYONE who is using a small UAS must get a remote pilot certificate......it isn't clear from these rules if this is just for people who want to use this for business or also for recreation.
2016-6-21
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Did anyone read the pilot requirements?  We will be required to hold a remote pilot certificate, To qualify for a remote pilot certificate, a person must: o Demonstrate aeronautical knowledge by either:  Passing an initial aeronautical knowledge test at an FAA-approved knowledge testing center; or   Hold a part 61 pilot certificate other than student pilot, complete a flight review within the previous 24 months, and complete a small UAS online training course provided by the FAA. (copied from Part 107 Summary)  So I guess the real question is where / what is an approved testing center?
2016-6-21
Use props
diiennojs
lvl.1

United States

Again call me stupid or whatknot but is anything changing for say the average Joe blow wanting to make a little money with his drone? Houses, land, etc? I haven't really read the whole thing in detail yet so bear with me?
2016-6-21
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2016-6-21 11:24
Did anyone read the pilot requirements?  We will be required to hold a remote pilot certificate, To  ...

This goes to my post just above yours......it isn't clear if that is EVERYONE or just the ones using this for business.
2016-6-21
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-21 11:29
This goes to my post just above yours......it isn't clear if that is EVERYONE or just the ones usi ...

Exactly.  I read it as everyone which I would think could turn the industry on its ear unless it is some sort of an internet test which it doesn't sound like
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-21 23:11
This is an interesting line item "Alternatively, the unmanned aircraft must remain within VLOS of th ...

I don't think so.

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close
enough to the remote pilot in command and the person
manipulating the flight controls of the small UAS for those
people to be capable of seeing the aircraft with vision
unaided by any device other than corrective lenses
2016-6-21
Use props
JustGoThere
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41778 ft
United States

So all these people that state that they fly 2 miles away, etc. are now forced to remain in VLOS correct???
2016-6-21
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

bill@northwoods Posted at 2016-6-21 23:34
Exactly.  I read it as everyone which I would think could turn the industry on its ear unless it i ...

I read it as everyone too. They issue a ruling that goes into effect in August 2016, but I wonder how prepared they are with the test at the FAA testing centers. Where do I find the information study to for this test? I imagine it will be like a written driver's test where you regurgitate what is contained in Rule 107. How long before they score my test and I get my certificate to fly? Immediately like in a driver's license test or months like the 333 exemption?

And by the way does this do away with the 333 exemption?

Thanks FAA!

2016-6-21
Use props
Flight Raptor
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-21 11:35
I don't think so.

At all times the small unmanned aircraft must remain close

I agree with ya, Ken, but they seem to contradict themselves from one point to another....again making it a little confusing.
2016-6-21
Use props
fatalPORKshank
lvl.3
Flight distance : 305289 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just called my local testing center and they have no idea what test needs to be administered.  I was told to call CATS and same story.  I couldn't find a test code anywhere in the regulation.  
2016-6-21
Use props
JustGoThere
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41778 ft
United States

I want my 5 dollars back from registration...

2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-21 23:40
I agree with ya, Ken, but they seem to contradict themselves from one point to another....again ma ...

Ya it does a little.
I'm happy though that pretty much anyone now can be a commercial operator.
It dampens it for me a little though as I will be less marketable at I've been a pilot for over 20yrs and have had a 333 exemption for over a year.
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fatalPORKshank Posted at 2016-6-21 23:45
I just called my local testing center and they have no idea what test needs to be administered.  I w ...

There hasn't been anything issued yet so test procedures and content will be written.
I was part of a beta testing program over a year ago for a company who had foreseen this and built a training and testing curriculum. This will be big business for people starting testing centers and get approved by the FAA to do so.
2016-6-21
Use props
timjd3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 531217 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-21 08:53
Ya it does a little.
It ...

I don't think anyone with talent needs to worry in terms of commercial competition.    This will just make it easier for companies needing the service to actually pull the trigger and hire someone.      Like everything else, this will expand the market, and those with talent will succeed, and the rest will eventually go do something else.
2016-6-21
Use props
pidetectives
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

Ok so the rules are writing Now what? What is  the next step in all this? I have been waiting on the 333 since February. Is there an advanage in getting the 333 or 107?
2016-6-21
Use props
rreindl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-21 23:57
There hasn't been anything issued yet so test procedures and content will be written.
I was part o ...

I will be watching this closely. Overall the rules seems to be fair.
2016-6-21
Use props
thumb
lvl.4
United States

Did anyone notice the TSA Background check?

"The TSA will conduct a security background check of all remote pilot applications prior to issuance of a certificate."

Guess we are buying a weapon of some sort.
2016-6-21
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137425 ft
  • >>>
United States

Flight Raptor Posted at 2016-6-21 08:23
I do wonder about the other section, tho:  "Remote Pilot in Command Certification and Responsibiliti ...

"WASHINGTON – Today, the Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration has finalized the first operational rules (PDF) for routine commercial use of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or “drones”)"

"The new rule, which takes effect in late August, offers safety regulations for unmanned aircraft drones weighing less than 55 pounds that are conducting non-hobbyist operations."

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=20515
2016-6-21
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

thumb Posted at 2016-6-21 09:04

"The TSA will conduct a security background check of al ...

Well yeah this makes sense, I don't think people would want a pedophile or someone of that nature to be able to fly over other people's houses taking pictures and what not
2016-6-21
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

But who's gonna stop them from doing so anyway
2016-6-21
Use props
jrm11
lvl.3
Flight distance : 224577 ft
United States

I haven't had a chance to read the full rules text yet, so maybe I am missing something.

Looking at the FAA summary release here:  http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

It seems the rules are collectively referred to as "Part 107."

Now look at the statement near the end of this document:

"Part 107 does not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of the criteria specified in section 336 of Public Law 112-95.":

Section 336 (again, from the FAA website:

"SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.
(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community- based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program adminis- tered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the
airport)).
(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
H. R. 658—68
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes."

For the majority of hobbyist flyers, it would seem these new rules don't apply at all. I'm trying to figure out who they would apply to.
2016-6-21
Use props
shayanza
lvl.1

United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-6-21 09:10
I haven't had a chance to read the full rules text yet, so maybe I am missing something.

Looking at ...

Masemoto copy/pasted the text from the FAA website above, I think this should answer your question:

"WASHINGTON – Today, the Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration has finalized the first operational rules (PDF) for routine commercial use of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or “drones”)"
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

timjd3@cox.net Posted at 2016-6-21 23:58
I don't think anyone with talent needs to worry in terms of commercial competition.    This will j ...

Ya, I know I'll still be more marketable but a lot of times the lowest priced quote wins.
But I'm not to worried
2016-6-21
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

thumb Posted at 2016-6-21 12:04

"The TSA will conduct a security background check of al ...

I am not worried. I am prior military with a clearance. The FBI already has a dossier on me.
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jrm11 Posted at 2016-6-22 00:10

Looking at ...

Basically the last sentence, Part 107 is not for Hobby or recreational purposes.
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rreindl Posted at 2016-6-22 00:03
I will be watching this closely. Overall the rules seems to be fair.

Yes, it does seem pretty fair.
When I started the airline pilots union wanted you to have a commercial pilots license, instrument rating, and   1st or 2nd class medical (can't remember).
So having just a pilots license and 3rd class medical was good for a lot of people. from there it got easier by allowing recreational or sport license and drivers license.
2016-6-21
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

Crap - I totally missed that. On their website they specifically say for routine commercial use.  Next time I should read everything completely - I usually know better.
2016-6-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-21 08:53
Ya it does a little.
It ...

The better more experienced pilots will still have more to offer Ken.  I know (in my case) it will not be based on my good looks

But you are right this will open up a lot of quick start-ups looking to make big bucks fast.  Experience will win in the end... we have both seen this in general aviation.

Rich
2016-6-21
Use props
Jakk
lvl.2

Sorry, just to be totally clear,

Do these rules apply to us all? We all have to have a license now or just if you want to fly commercially? It isn't very clear in the PDF.
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2016-6-22 00:33
The better more experienced pilots will still have more to offer Ken.  I know (in my case) it will ...

Ya for sure.
Also, heard back from HQ and coach mode is what it is and there is no detailed manual or instructions.
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jakk Posted at 2016-6-22 00:49
Sorry, just to be totally clear,

Do these rules apply to us all? We all have to have a license now ...

This is commercially.
2016-6-21
Use props
Jakk
lvl.2

Thanks ken,

Forgive me but where does it say that in the new FAA information?
2016-6-21
Use props
bill
lvl.3

United States

If you go to the press release page this is the first sentence:  Today, the Department of Transportation’s Federal Aviation Administration has finalized the first operational rules (PDF) for routine commercial use of small unmanned aircraft systems (UAS or “drones”),   The key words being commercial use.  I missed it at first also.
2016-6-21
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jakk Posted at 2016-6-22 00:53
Thanks ken,

Forgive me but where does it say that in the new FAA information?

The first line in the FAQ states Part 107 is for non-hobby users.
http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=20516

The new rules for non-hobbyist small unmanned aircraft (UAS) operations – Part 107 of the Federal Aviation Regulations (PDF) – cover a broad spectrum of commercial uses for drones weighing less than 55 pounds. Here are the highlights of the new rule.

Part 107 does not apply to model aircraft that satisfy all of
the criteria specified in section 336 of Public Law 112-95.
• The rule codifies the FAA’s enforcement authority in part
101 by prohibiting model aircraft operators from endangering
the safety of the NAS

2016-6-21
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules