Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Lightbridge the same on the P3A as the P4?
2068 17 2016-6-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jjepilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

I'm considering upgrading from P3S to either the P3A or P4. Is the Lightbridge better on the P4 than the higher end P3's?

2016-6-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Lightbridge is just a transmission medium, and would be exactly the same for the two aircraft you mention. But I have doubts about the encoding being used on the P4, even though the lens is better, the MPEG encoding seems to be inferior.

2016-6-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-21 17:08
Lightbridge is just a transmission medium, and would be exactly the same for the two aircraft you me ...

Aloha Geebax,

The P4 does not use 5.8 GHz Lightbridge.  Somehow it is a 2.4 GHz Lightbridge.  Both the transmitter and the receiver are 2.4 GHz.  (Read it somewhere, trying to remember.)  I guess the 5.8 GHz will be for the next P4 revolution when they introduce 1080p live feed video.  That is when the FAA may consider "sense and avoid" technology instead of "see and avoid".  It is in the new rules.

If you download it, you can search it way more easily than while it is on line.  Use the "Control F" function and enter your search word or words (it accepts at least 2) in the box that opens up on the upper right.  (You can also customize the screen for easy viewing if you take some time to do it.)  

The 624 page rules is too large to attach here but can be downloaded here;

http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-21
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the info guys.
2016-6-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-22 13:22
Aloha Geebax,

The P4 does not use 5.8 GHz Lightbridge.  Somehow it is a 2.4 GHz Lightbridge. ...

As I said, Lightbridge is a transmission medium, the operating frequency has little bearing on its functionality.
2016-6-21
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.4
United States

I'm returning my P3 Standard due to its lack of video range. It was better when I first got it but it has gotten so bad to the point that it's basically useless. Is the P4 range much better than the P3 Advanced? For that matter, is Lightbridge that much better than the WiFi on the Standard? I'm considering either the P3A or P4 next.
2016-6-21
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-21 17:52
As I said, Lightbridge is a transmission medium, the operating frequency has little bearing on its ...

Aloha Geebax,

Good feed, huh!  We should play basketball.  Oh yeah, season just ended.  Bummer!  But, I still say the next P4 will have 5.8 GHz 1080p live feed video.  Just guessing.  

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-21
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jjepilot Posted at 2016-6-22 06:29
I'm returning my P3 Standard due to its lack of video range. It was better when I first got it but i ...

"For that matter, is Lightbridge that much better than the WiFi on the Standard?"

In a nutshell......Yes.
2016-6-22
Use props
WillBapta
lvl.3

United States

Wait so the Lightbridge on the Advance / Pro is better than the P4? Can this be true
2016-6-22
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

WillBapta Posted at 2016-6-22 17:44
Wait so the Lightbridge on the Advance / Pro is better than the P4? Can this be true

What makes you say that ?
2016-6-22
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.4
United States

WillBapta Posted at 2016-6-23 00:44

I believe he means that Lightbridge is better than the Wifi on the P3 Standard. My question is if the P3A and P4 Lightbridge is the same or is the P4 Lightbridge better for extended range.
2016-6-22
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Check the spec'd they both show 3.1m for the US, but the P4 shows power as 23 dBm and the P3 as 20 dBm. And +3dB is a 100% gain, so the plot thickens

I believe they both have very similar range.

Edit:- did my sums wrong there, a +3dB is in fact 100% gain (or near enough)

2016-6-22
Use props
terrylewis
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-22 11:22
Aloha Geebax,

The P4 does not use 5.8 GHz Lightbridge.  Somehow it is a 2.4 GHz Lightbridge. ...

Aloha Cetaman,

DJI Lightbridge has always used radio channels which are within the ISM bands to transmit video back to the RC. These channels communicate with the RC on 2.400 GHz - 2.483 GHz. As Geebax indicates, DJI Lightbridge uses a digital encoding methodology called Orthogonal frequency-division multiplexing to achieve increased range.

The 5.8 GHz spectrum is only used by DJI for shorter range communication on the "wifi" aircraft such as the P3S and P3 4K. The Inspire remote controllers also use 5.8 GHz to communicate just between dual controllers when operating in two-controller operations

As Aardvark points out, the primary differences between the P4 and P3 with Lightbridge is the transmitter power.
2016-6-22
Use props
jjepilot
lvl.4
United States

I appreciate all the input. So the difference is 3dBm in transmitter power as I did see that in the specs. I guess I'll be ordering the P4 tomorrow. Once again, thanks for all of your help.
2016-6-22
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-6-22 13:18
Aloha Cetaman,

DJI Lightbridge has always used radio channels which are within the ISM bands to tr ...

Aloha terry,

This is interesting mostly because I am new to this area of technology.  But, I do know how to process information.  Please correct me if any of this information is wrong, so I can find out a verification of your correction or otherwise.  What I have learned in the last year, almost two years, is that;

Lightbridge started out using 5.8 gHz,

The P2 series version 2 uses a 5.8 gHz RC

The P2 version 3 uses a 2.4 gHz RC

My P3P uses 2.4 gHz RC and a 5.8 gHz variation of its original Lightbridge,

The P4 introduced a 2.4 gHz variation of Lightbridge,

And the P4 uses a 2.4 gHz RC.

Now, my only interest in all this is my more powerful (from what you found in the specs) 2.4 gHz Lightbridge on my P4, at 23 dBm, gives a much lower performance than the 5.8 gHz Lightbridge on my P3P (20 dBm).  I also use the same Android device for both systems and do not change settings (obviously DJI GO does).  I have to use range extenders to get a good performance out of my P4's 2.4 gHz Lightbridge system.  But hey, they both are amazing flying cameras!  I love the performance I do get out of them, even with range extenders.   And this is why I think the next P4 will have a 5.8 gHz Lightbridge system (or follow on).

I also love a good question and the search for an answer.  So if you can help me on this question, please do.  I will be very grateful.  Learning new things is what this is all about!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-22
Use props
terrylewis
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cetaman Posted at 2016-6-23 10:49
Aloha terry,

This is interesting mostly because I am new to this area of technology.  But, I ...

Always eager to learn, let's compare references for your information. Here is where I got my info--->

Lightbridge started out using 5.8 gHz,
When introduced, DJI Lightbridge is a revolutionary 2.4G Full HD digital video downlink offering extremely powerful technology in a small and lightweight form and according to the DJI Lightbridge 1.0 Spec, Lightbridge uses 2.4GHz ISM

(The original P2 used 2.4GHz ISM)

The P2 series version 2 uses a 5.8 gHz RC
Correct! the P2 Vision did use 5.728GHz - 5.85 GHz for the RC (like the P3 Standard/4K), but included a Range Extender for video that operated on 2.412 - 2.462GHz

The P2 version 3 uses a 2.4 gHz RC
The P2 Vision+, like the Vision, uses 5.728GHz - 5.85 GHz for the RC (like the P3 Standard/4K), but included a Range Extender for video that operated on 2.412 - 2.462GHz

My P3P uses 2.4 gHz RC and a 5.8 gHz variation of its original Lightbridge,
The P3P only uses 2.4 GHz - 2.483 GHz ISM as shown in the P3P product spec. under Remote Controller.

The P4 introduced a 2.4 gHz variation of Lightbridge,
Agree that the P4 uses 2.4GHz ISM, but it didn't introduce Lightbridge. That was up at the first link.....

Thanks and aways Fly Safe!

2016-6-22
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
  • >>>
United States

terrylewis Posted at 2016-6-22 17:56
Always eager to learn, let's compare references for your information. Here is where I got my info-- ...

Aloha terry,

OK, now I am really confused.  But first I have to cut and paste this information.  Good stuff.  The only thing I can find misplaced here is the P2 version 3 does not include the P2 Vision +.  The P2 V+ is P2 version 2.  P2 version 3 is a Zenmuse (and other add-ons) system.  It has a lot of P3 parts.

Let me sort through this tonight.  I can have more questions by tomorrow since I live 3-6 hours behind you.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-6-22
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.4

Hong Kong

As far as transmission distance, I see very few differences among P3A/ P3P /P4
2016-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules