3565 15 2015-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
erik_mugen.emai
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi
My name is Erik and I live in Sweden.
I have an Dji Phantom 2 Vision with a standard compass so I thought that upgrading to the new shielded compass could add extra security.
I Purchased an new shielded compass from an DJI authorized dealer Part number: NO.16 PV646117030

When mounting it on to my Phantom 2 I noted to my surprise that the wire from the compass are to short!
Tried rerouting it but it's 20 millimeters to short to fit.
It would be nice if it were at least 50-60 millimeters longer.
Have anyone had the same problem?
Is there an extension wire i'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
Kind Regards
Erik

2015-1-22
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

I installed this on my P2V+ when it was released and had no trouble.

Are you sure you are routing the wire correctly? Can you post a photo?
2015-1-24
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

I'm thinking the shielded compass upgrade is not made for the Phantom 2 vision, it is for the Vision +.
2015-1-24
Use props
erik_mugen.emai
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi
Here comes some photos of the compass wire and routing.
As you can see its to short and i can't even get my fingers in to try connecting it to the GPS.

Hope it helps.
Gerry1124  I have also had that thought   Though it says P2 & P2V on the parts label , I hope we can find a solution to this problem
Thanks in advance
Erik
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0016.JPG
2015-1-25
Use props
PhantomHelp
lvl.3

United States

erik_mugen, DJI has two versions of that compass:

P2 & P2V:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=KBLMNBTVGO54M4BA

P2V+:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... Id=WKC3Q26YI33NL3GI

Your label shows you definitely have the correct part number. Maybe try rotating the top of your shell so the compass is closest to where the cable comes through from the bottom of the shell.
2015-1-25
Use props
erik_mugen.emai
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi  
And Thanks for your answer and your help.
I wonder if it's really possible to rotate the shell.
The red tape indentations gets at the wrong placement and how about the GPS unit isn't it directional sensitive?
The pictures on the amazon links looks the same , what is the difference between them?
Maybe the wire length?

A Big thanks again for your help!

Kind Regards
Erik
2015-1-25
Use props
spuckett7
lvl.1

United States

Ok, maybe this is a SWAG (Silly Wild Ass Guess) from what I understand about the old vs new Phantoms.  The older model Phantoms have the compass connection that plugs into the GPS module.  The newer Phantoms have a different GPS module and the compass connects directly into the main board.   So what would happen if eric plugs his upgraded compass into the main board?  (It would be a shame if you would have to completely swap out the GPS module just because you wanted to upgrade the compass!)
2015-1-25
Use props
erik_mugen.emai
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi Spucket7
I got an mail from my DJI authorized dealer today and they say that the wire is supposed to go to the "Comp" port on the main board just like you suggested   

I will try this tomorrow , the rain/snow is poring down rigt now But I will get back to you after tomorrow's flight.
Thanks again.
Kind Regards
Erik
2015-1-26
Use props
erik_mugen.emai
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi Again
I have now tried to connect the compass to the "Comp" port on the main board .
Did a test:
And the compass calibration worked just fine but I did not get any GPS Satellites
Put my old compass back and it works just fine.
Now I think I need to put new thread lock on my screws because I have dismantled it and reassembled it 12 times in one week.
Do you guys have any other suggestions to my compass problem?
Kind Regards
Erik  
2015-1-27
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

erik_mugen.emai Posted at 2015-1-28 01:45
Hi Again
Did a test ...

Check to make sure you plugged the compass and the GPS into the correct place.  Normally you won't get any sats if you are inside.
2015-1-27
Use props
rogeriowagner
New

Brazil

erik_mugen.emai Posted at 2015-1-28 01:45
Hi Again
Did a test ...

I did that upgrade yesterday night, on my first attempt I tried just to replace the leg like you did, the compass cable is too short to route properly, so I swapped the legs, the camera cable and the compass cable should be on opposite sides, It's still a tight coupling though, but it's routed correctly and working as expected.

PS: The cable is connect to the GPS module.

Hope this help.
2015-2-7
Use props
erik_mugen.emai
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi everyone again
Thanks for your support.
I decided to extend the compass cable and I did a compass calibration and all went good, but I did not make an test flight do to bad weather though I restarted it three times and all worked fine. BUT now when I were to fly today it will not start

All I got is the normal start up beeps but no LED´s only a Quick yellow flash from all of the ESC´s
No motors, no battery detected, no GPS and Compass-ERR message "Abnormal compass data"
I have all the latest updates, but when I connect it to the assistant it does not find the GPS hardwere Id, And the P330CB and Battery doesn't even show up.

Anyone have any idea of what I can have broken?
I'm suspecting the mainboard.

Thanks in advance
Kind Regards
Erik
2015-2-7
Use props
jhall
New

United States

erik_mugen.emai Posted at 2015-2-8 04:36
Hi everyone again
Thanks for your support.
I decided to extend the compass cable and I did a compass ...

I upgraded to the same new compass part - - and had the same short wire issue --  it is a VERY tight fit, but I was able to get it connected after rotating the shell around a bit - it should be a wee bit longer!

Now, I also bought a new GPS module for my PIIV -- Part No. 11 -- and it came without a Compass Port, but included the gray compass wiring --- Now I am trying to figure WHERE on the Board the wire goes -- referring to the NEW white anti-static wire that is.....the new GPS gray wire, appears to be useless!???

Anyone have photos of where the new anti static compass wire plugs in would be great!!
2015-6-3
Use props
Kilted Flyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

erik_mugen.emai Posted at 2015-2-8 04:36
Hi everyone again
Thanks for your support.
I decided to extend the compass cable and I did a compass ...

I also have a Vision, I had to replace the shell on mine from a crash and when putting back together I "forgot" to plug in the GPS module cable. When its not plugged in it will not start and show the same problems you have. Check the GPS module plug. Make sure its all way plugged in and plugged in properly.
2015-6-5
Use props
bmancan.sympati
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2085810 ft
  • >>>
Canada

rogeriowagner Posted at 2015-2-7 21:12
I did that upgrade yesterday night, on my first attempt I tried just to replace the leg like you d ...

Any chance you could post a photo showing how you routed the cables? Is the compass on the same leg as the original, and only the camera power cable re-routed?
Thanks.
2015-6-5
Use props
tonyray955
lvl.3

United States

On the the older model Phantoms that have the compass connection that plugs into the GPS module he wire is to short one thing you can do is unplug the wire from your old compass and use it. They both have the same plugs on them all you need to do is remove the cover on the new compass it just snaps on and unplug the wire then plug the wire from the old compass and snap the cover back on.  Don't worry the wire from the new compass is not sheilded it only has a plastic cover over it.

Another thing is the compass need to be on the same leg as the old one was.
2015-6-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules