18070 36 2016-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
martin.gros
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1017871 ft
Réunion

Hi,
I have a brand new phantom 4, today during my third test fly I got ECS error warning on the display.
I restarted the aircraft and change de battery. Everything was ok for 10 minutes and then the ECS error came back, with a signal lost on dji go app. I had to do a return home as emergency...

What the ECS error means ?
What can I do to resolve that ?

The Phantom is brand new, firmware updated and calibrated before the flight.
Please help...
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello Martin,
I'm sorry you are having difficulties, it's strange that you would get a ESC error and lost signal at the same time.
Can you please provide the email you use to login in to the app with and I can have that flight analyzed.
Also, can you connect it to the computer and reinstall the latest firmware.
ESC is the electronic speed control and it may just be a hiccup because usually a ESC error will not let you fly and if it ever happened in flight it could lead to a crash.
2016-6-23
Use props
martin.gros
lvl.2
Réunion

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-23 16:37
Hello Martin,
I'm sorry you are having difficulties, it's strange that you would get a ESC error and ...

The email used for my account is martin.gros@ymail.com
I'll upload my fly data right now and will do a firmware re-instal (will my setting be erased ?)
When I got the second ECS error, the live feed just froze and I wasn't able to see the image from camera.
The message was like "ECS ERROR, AIRCRAFT LANDING" but I was able to fly it and return home, this message didn't triggered the automatic return home process.

Thanks for your reply.
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-24 00:29
The email used for my account is
I'll upload my fly data right now and will do a firmware re-inst ...

I'll look at your flight to see if i see anything.
The P4 latest update should keep your settings but it's always good to go back through all of them to make sure and change them if it did reset some settings.
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-24 00:29
The email used for my account is
I'll upload my fly data right now and will do a firmware re-inst ...

Which flight is it, I'm looking at a flight from today and it shows you hit the RTH button.If you can star the flight as a favorite anr resync then I can easily see which one it is.
2016-6-23
Use props
rliamharpurb
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I flew my first p4 twice and got an ESC error, after that it wouldn't fly

So if it still does is guess it's a hiccup and firmware needs flashing and the craft then recalibrated

Liam
2016-6-23
Use props
martin.gros
lvl.2
Réunion

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-23 18:43
I'll look at your flight to see if i see anything.
The P4 latest update should keep your settings  ...

Thanks,
I also have a pulsing/flickering effect on my footage...mostly in shadow and vegetation (correctly exposed).
Recorded with D-Log and manual setting...any idea for this issue ? I'm not the only one describing this problem but I didn't found any official answer...

Waiting news from news concerning ECS, firmware refreshed, will do a fly test tomorrow.
Thanks.
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

rliamharpurb Posted at 2016-6-24 01:08
I flew my first p4 twice and got an ESC error, after that it wouldn't fly

So if it still does is gu ...

Actually if it still gives you ESC errors after rebooting the aircraft 3 times then you need to send it in and it will be taken care of.
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-24 01:16
Thanks,
I also have a pulsing/flickering effect on my footage...mostly in shadow and vegetation (c ...

I did see a exposure warning as well.
Does it do it in other than D-Log?
Try also restoring the camera to default settings.
If it still persists then it could be a camera/firmware thing.
The prior P4 firmware had given some users blurry picture when in D-Log and they had to use none. The latest firmware fixed that. So it may be that kind of situation.
If nothing fixes it then please post a video and I will forward it to R&D.
2016-6-23
Use props
martin.gros
lvl.2
Réunion

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-23 19:22
Actually if it still gives you ESC errors after rebooting the aircraft 3 times then you need to se ...

Hi Ken,
Did you find anything about my ECS error in the flights log ?
I'll fly carefully this week end to test it again.

Actually I just arrived from Canada in Reunion Island for a shoot with the Phantom 4. If I need to send it back to you, the project will be totally compromised...moreover I'll be impossible to send it back from here and I'll need to wait my return in Canada 6 week later...(do you have any service point in Reunion Island ???) for all these reason I'm a bit worried right now...finger cross...

Thanks for your assistance.
2016-6-23
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-24 14:56
Hi Ken,
I'll fly carefully this week ...

There's no DJI repair station in Africa, you have to bring it back to North America to repair.

Liken Ken said, the ESC error indicates some hardware error and needs to be sent back for repair, and the drone normally would refuse to take off.

But if you're flying and the drone crashed due to ESC error, DJI will repair/replace the drone for you.  
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Martin, if the ESC error prompts up frequently, it is recommended to get in touch with support@dji.com and send it in for diagnosis.
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-24 14:56
Hi Ken,
I'll fly carefully this week ...

Martin,
In your last flight record I did not see a ESC error.
As I said earlier, if it happens again please send it in for repair.
Can you delete the app and then reinstall it, it may be a app glitch. Power the aircraft on and off at least 3 times and if you see the error again you need to send it in.I'm hoping that it was something to do with the app, let me know if you see it again.
2016-6-24
Use props
martin.gros
lvl.2
Réunion

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-24 18:16
Martin,
In your last flight record I did not see a ESC error.
As I said earlier, if it happens agai ...

Thx Ken,
After 2 days of extended flights (1 hour/day) I didn't get any ECS error.
Weird that you didn't saw them in the data log because I clearly had the ECS warning message on the app on 2 different flights...anyway...ECS seems fine for now.

BUT,
I got IMU1 and COMPASS 1 data error, symbolized by the yellow dot in the app. Tried to re-calibrate both, calibration successful but data error remain, many reboot and calibration didn't solve the problem.
What should I do ? didn't found any info on the forum.

Also my footage are really grainy even in clear bright condition, ISO100 4k 30p  1/60 (with polarpro best filters)- D-LOG custom 0, -2, -2. + DJI_Phantom4_DLOG2Rec709.cube, everything manual of course. I am colorist, used to LOG footage, working in davinci. No heavy post prod, just a LUT to get rec709 out of the D-LOG (I tried several LUT and curves, clear blue sky is totally grainy at 100 iso !!!). I also noticed a pulsing effect in the shadow, I asking myself if it's related to 4K and need to try to shoot in 1080p only. This specific pulsing effect have been experienced by many other people in the forum.

I actually reset everything on the app and will make new test. But I really would like to have your cues on theses issues, IMU + compass permanent error and D-LOG specification in order to use it for professional grading, actually I feel myself far for this.

Waiting from you, cheers.

PS : huntcool001 Réunion Island is not Africa, it's France...and there is a big DJI reseller on the Island...
2016-6-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-28 14:07
Thx Ken,
Weird that you  ...

If the IMU and compass errors will not go away then you can try a factory reset from the Assistant2 software and if it persists after that and after calibration then you need to send it in for repair.
As far as the video, I am not a video/edit expert and sounds like you have plenty of knowledge and if you cannot achieve the results you desire it may be a limitation of the camera or a possible camera issue.I think for the video results you are looking for I'm sure the Inspire X5 camera is well suited for you.
2016-6-28
Use props
RobZ
lvl.1

United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-28 01:07
Thx Ken,
Weird that you  ...

Hi Martin,

Have you turned off "3D Noise Reduction"? I found this to be the main culprit when it came to pulsing shadow details in recorded video.

- Rob
2016-6-28
Use props
martin.gros
lvl.2
Réunion

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-28 18:46
If the IMU and compass errors will not go away then you can try a factory reset from the Assistant2 ...

Hi,
I did a factory reset of the drone + deleted the dji app go and reinstalled everything + firmware update via dji assistant 2.
Still having IMU1 + compass1 data error yellow dot ....
As said before I'm overseas for a shoot specially with the P4 , don't tell me that the only way is to send it in repair, because it's just impossible from here and it's mean the end of the project... Can't believe I had to send back a brand new P4, 4h of total fly, technical tests...

1- what "data error" warning mean exactly ?
2- can I fly safely whit this error ? No other warning, the bars are green.
3- what are all the operations I could try to fix this by myself ?

Thx
2016-6-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-29 13:18
Hi,
I did a factory reset of the drone + deleted the dji app go and reinstalled everything + firm ...

I'm sorry for the position you are in.
You are on a professional shoot, is there a problem with the spare aircraft as well?
The only thing I can offer is you need to send it in.
I will say that I have heard of components getting stuck in an IMU from being jolted around during transport.
You can search the internet as some have solved an IMU issue if something happens to be stuck. BUT, DJI recommends not putting the aircraft through any kind of external forces so I cannot recommend that.
2016-6-29
Use props
martin.gros
lvl.2
Réunion

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-29 18:13
I'm sorry for the position you are in.
You are on a professional shoot, is there a problem with th ...

I solved the problem...I mean the problem disappeared.
I did a full discharge of a battery in the drone (on a table).
Reinstalled everything from a factory reset...seems to be ok...finger crossed for the next day...

An issue about the 4k footage will be discussed in an other thread...after several test 4k is always giving artifact and pulsing effect on footage, unusable while 2k and full HD are ok...
2016-6-29
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-30 03:14
I solved the problem...I mean the problem disappeared.
I did a full discharge of a battery in the  ...

Wow, that's great to hear. hope it stays good. As in my last post I have heard of a jolt can help if something is stuck (again not recommended)
As far as the 4k thing, I'm sorry you are not getting the desired results. I will look at your posted video.
Again, I'm happy you are in the air again.
2016-6-29
Use props
Jean London Dia
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28986 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting, I just received my Drone after a 2-3 week repair and finally took out of the box. Guess what DJI? ESC error straight out of the box? So after paying $600 for the repair and losing out on a job, from what it appears in this forum I have to send out my drone once again for repair. I think I have bad luck with DJI or the customer service is just terrible. This happened to me on my Ronin-M... Extremely frustrating...
2016-9-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Jean London Dia Posted at 2016-9-25 00:07
Interesting, I just received my Drone after a 2-3 week repair and finally took out of the box. Guess ...

I'm sorry to hear, what was your previous RMA number? Have you already sent an email to the North American Support team? Since you just got it back, I would try doing a factory reset via the Assistant 2 software and an IMU calibration to make sure that the sensors are refreshed.
2016-9-24
Use props
fansf388d2a4
New

Jamaica

hello my name is richardo fairweather i have bought a phontom 4 drone.just recieved it yesterday.i have update it but it keep saying ESC staus error.i dont understand what is it but what i have understand it have to do it battery.also i have seen and hear people having this problem.i am confused because i have baught it for us1,200 and i pay 400us to clear it.
2016-12-7
Use props
fansf388d2a4
New

Jamaica

i have a issue
2016-12-7
Use props
fansf388d2a4
New

Jamaica

hello my name is richardo fairweather i have bought a phontom 4 drone.just recieved it yesterday.i have update it but it keep saying ESC staus error.i dont understand what is it but what i have understand it have to do it battery.also i have seen and hear people having this problem.i am confused because i have baught it for 1,200 and i pay 400us to cl
2016-12-7
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

fansf388d2a4 Posted at 2016-12-8 12:21
hello my name is richardo fairweather i have bought a phontom 4 drone.just recieved it yesterday.i have update it but it keep saying ESC staus error.i dont understand what is it but what i have understand it have to do it battery.also i have seen and hear people having this problem.i am confused because i have baught it for 1,200 and i pay 400us to cl

Hi, If you have the same issue, try what is mentioned above, if it all fails then send it in for repair.
sounds like you bought it online?, so you can't take it back from the point of purchase to exchange it?
2016-12-8
Use props
fansf388d2a4
New

Jamaica

I need hell
2016-12-8
Use props
fans809d8866
New

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-6-23 06:37
Hello Martin,
I'm sorry you are having difficulties, it's strange that you would get a ESC error and lost signal at the same time.
Can you please provide the email you use to login in to the app with and I can have that flight analyzed.

Hi, I just recieved my p4 in the mail. Brand new. I've updated everything and calibrate before each flight. I am getting an ESC ERROR in red while in flight. I've restarted the aircraft several times and still it will not go away. Again I just got the drone 1 day ago and have barely flown it. Can someone help me figure out the issue?!
2017-3-29
Use props
fans809d8866
New

United States

Hello Martin,

Hi, I just recieved my p4 in the mail. Brand new. I've updated everything and calibrate before each flight. I am getting an ESC ERROR in red while in flight. I've restarted the aircraft several times and still it will not go away. Again I just got the drone 1 day ago and have barely flown it. Can someone help me figure out the issue?!
2017-3-29
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fans809d8866 Posted at 2017-3-29 14:49

Did you notice this after a firmware update or a hard landing? Have you tried resetting the unit to factory settings to see if it helps?
2017-3-29
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3777011 ft
United States

Lol.......
2017-3-29
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
United States

To fix the ESC error do what I did, I bought a set of three boards and changed it out myself. No headaches with CS that way!
2017-3-29
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

martin.gros@yma Posted at 2016-6-27 22:07
Thx Ken,
Weird that you didn't saw them in the data log because I clearly had the ECS warning message on the app on 2 different flights...anyway...ECS seems fine for now.

Are you using an ND filter to bring your shutter speed down? The processor on board has to take a frame from one of the hundreds or thousands it gets to make the video 23.9 frames a second or whatever you have it set to.. Since the shutter speed can get quite high (even at iso100) not every frame will be exposed at the exact value as the other one and the processor has to "pick" the best one. This results in the flickering you will see especially in the mid tones and shadows. Using an ND filter will bring your shutter speed down and allow a more consistent exposure throughout your video.
2017-3-30
Use props
Sprtbkrydr
lvl.4
United States

Hello Martin,

These Phantom 4's are strange anyway.
2017-4-2
Use props
fans809d8866
New

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-29 16:38
Did you notice this after a firmware update or a hard landing? Have you tried resetting the unit to factory settings to see if it helps?

Reset the drone multiple times. I can still fly the drone it happens in flight. I don't know what the deal is. I'm going to ship it back to dji to get a new one.
2017-4-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

fans809d8866 Posted at 2017-4-2 15:59
Reset the drone multiple times. I can still fly the drone it happens in flight. I don't know what the deal is. I'm going to ship it back to dji to get a new one.

If you still see an ESC error, then yes please contact DJI and send it in.
http://www.dji.com/support
2017-4-3
Use props
fans3fd4b8de
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have brand new P4 today, never flown. I have 1ESC AND 4ESC. Product is brand new and cost £999. Horrible product for that price that doesn’t even work very bad from dji
2018-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules