DJI Warranty Claim Process. How Long Before DJI Response??
1634 8 2016-6-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bengalboy69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have made a claim with DJI after a fly-away occured and a total loss of the Phantom 4.  Customer ticket was opened and flight records synced 2 weeks ago.  Nothing to ship and examine, just a review of flight records to determine if Phantom 4 malfunctioned or pilot error.  My question is for those who have made a claim after total loss where the only action by DJI is to review the flight record.  How long did it take to hear back from DJI after all documents and flight records were provided?  I'm not sure what is involved in examining a flight record, or, if there is only one guy who does this, or, there are alot of claims being made and alot of flight records to review, however, two weeks seems like sufficient time to review and make a determination of the fault and/or explanation of cause of malfunction.

For those who have been through this process how long did you have to wait before DJI contacted you with its decision?
2016-6-23
Use props
bengalboy69
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Interestingly, 15 minutes after I posted this I got a response.  
2016-6-23
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your loss, bengalboy69. Has your ticket been solved?
2016-6-23
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

It was longer back in 2015, but in 2016, you normally get your repaired drone back in two to three weeks
2016-6-24
Use props
Mafia16
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26490948 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

did they got any conclusion with your case OP?
2016-6-24
Use props
Thunderbirds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 339888 ft
Canada

I'm eager to know
2016-6-24
Use props
bengalboy69
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The case itself is not resolved, however, I did get a response from DJI offering me a replacement Phantom 4 *claimed new sold without RC & battery charger* with a 15% discount off $1099 price.  I spoke with a customer  representative by phone and learned the technician places the blame with the Pilot for flying the Phantom 4 over 5000 meters away from home point while on a moving boat.  Problem with that interpretation of the flight log is that the Phantom 4 was only a few hundred yards behind the boat when it suffered a battery error at 60% battery life and initiated RTH.  Yes, after that, it flew to more than 12,000 feet away from my location before I gained control of it and tried to fly it back to me.  Not enough battery left it sank into the Gulf of Mexico as myself and a Group of Divers watched on-screen its slow descent of death.  

So, I replied that I would not accept that offer and that I disagreed with the interpretation of the flight log as being "pilot error".  There were many people watching me fly around the Dive Boat as we cruised back to shore from the dive site.  Some were watching my screen of the video being created,, some were just watching the Phantom 4 buzz around the boat in Sport mode.  Everyone will agree the Phantom 4 was never out of line of sight or more than a few hundred feet away when the fly-away occured.  Trying to reset the home point from the DJI GO app after it began its "RTH" command was unsuccessful.  A "home point not set" error would occur everytime I tried and the Phantom 4 continued to fly back to the original launch point over 2 miles back.  Apparently, the flight log doesn't show that at the time the Phantom 4 began its "RTH" it was only a couple hundred yards at most directly behind the dive boat getting lined up for a high speed run to catch the boat and hopefully create some dramatic footage.  The people on the boat know what happened and will remember it well.  Was quite a bit of drama at the end with everyone gathered around the monitor cheering for the baby drone to make it back and then sadly paying their condolences when she began to sink into the Gulf of Mexico.

So, I'm not happy with DJI's response to my ticket.  I would warn those that fly alot on the water or ocean to be aware that extended flying in Sport Mode seems to create a battery error *it gets too hot* that triggers a "RTH" command you can't cancel.  If your flying from a boat, obviously, your home point is changing and there is no dynamic feature like my old Vision+ drone.  It happened to me twice while flying in Sport Mode over the water for extended time.  First time it occured at 30% battery and I was able to chase the drone down in a buddy's boat and control it from the original home point as it began its descent.  Second time I was on a charter dive boat in the ocean and it occured at 60% battery life.  No telling the Captain to turn around and chase my drone, he did slow to idle speed in the end.  But, my drone was gone. There's a Phantom 4 at the bottom of the sea in "like New Condition" with ND16 filter and a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card.  One day, maybe it will be discovered and the video still recoverable.  I know I got some great footage that day of the U.S.S. Oriskany wreck and the dive boat haul'n ass at sea.
2016-6-24
Use props
Basetau
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1471824 ft
Australia

Can you please post your YouTube link. I bought a Phantom 3 standard less than 2 weeks ago and It never fly well. Compass error, GPS unlock P mode, Poor signal etc. I wanted to compare your issue with my flight experience.
2016-11-18
Use props
BengalBoy
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

My Phantom 4 was having issues hovering due to a camera gimbal guard interferring with the VPS system.  You should not have an issue with the Phantom 3 using a camera guard because it does not use downward facing cameras. My video is under the user Bengalboycom on YouTube.
2016-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules