Phantom 3 Pro - Lens threads changed?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kent
lvl.1
United States

I just purchased my second P3 Pro assuming it would be identical to my other P3 Pro. However, when I attempted to screw on the polarized ND filter I use with out an isse on our other drone I discovered the thread size on the new camera is different. The filter will not grab on to the threads and you can simply push it completely on and off. The new threads are smaller?!?

DJI, can you please explain how this is possible? I now have to tape on my filters! Why?
2016-6-23
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

Do you mean the 3rd party polorized filter you bought doesn't fit into the second drone, or the DJI filter unscrewed from the first drone won't fit into the second drone?

Probably the old filter is loose?  I don't think DJI has changed the design of the camera though.  

2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello kent, the threads on the camera haven't been changed. Does the original UV filter and ring work well?
2016-6-24
Use props
kent
lvl.1
United States

To clarify, it's my third party filters that do not fit the second drone. They screw on with perfect precision on my other P3 Pro but the diameter of my new P3 Pro camera lens is smaller, causing the filters to completely miss the threads altogether. I can literally slide the filters on and off, completely bypassing the threads.

The original DJI UV filter fits.

I'm assuming there are multiple factories and/or machines creating the camera body which account for these inconsistencies. Whatever the cause, it's a pain.
2016-6-25
Use props
faze82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130883 ft
United States

I have the same problem. I bought filter set for my new Phantom 3 Pro. The filter won't hold on the lens after removing the OEM UV filter. Threads are not even touching each others. I tried this on my old Phantom 3 Pro and it fits perfectly.

The most interesting part is that I would think if there is such difference in thread, the OEM filter from the old one wont fit on the new P3P and vice versa. But, they are perfectly interchangeable!!!

I don't get it
2017-5-28
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

faze82 Posted at 2017-5-28 18:31
I have the same problem. I bought filter set for my new Phantom 3 Pro. The filter won't hold on the lens after removing the OEM UV filter. Threads are not even touching each others. I tried this on my old Phantom 3 Pro and it fits perfectly.

The most interesting part is that I would think if there is such difference in thread, the OEM filter from the old one wont fit on the new P3P and vice versa. But, they are perfectly interchangeable!!!

Are you sure it is a Pro and not a Standard, which has a different size camera filter?  The Phantom 4K is really a Standard with a better camera and is sometimes confused with the Pro.  I believe this camera is a different size from the Pro/Advanced series.
2017-5-29
Use props
faze82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 130883 ft
United States

I am pretty sure that I own professional lol ) 2 of them actually

2017-5-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

faze82 Posted at 2017-5-29 10:46
I am pretty sure that I own professional lol ) 2 of them actually

Weird.  Any photos showing the mis-match?

Perhaps take it to a good camera shop, they may be able to measure the threads and confirm if they are different, or try on some other similarly sized filters?  It is around 30mm from memory.  They do make step-up/down rings if absolutely necessary, although I think they would be pretty rare at that size.
2017-5-30
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is there any possibility that the wrong camera somehow got put on the P3 Pro?
2017-5-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules