Propellor guard installation
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bilzc10
lvl.3
Flight distance : 351575 ft
United States

I just installed some propellor guards on my p3 advanced. I have 2 questions. Did the installation void any waranty? im guessning no since i bought it from dji and installed with their instructions but im wondering if any damage caused post installation is covered. And now for the more important question: How tight is too tight? The screws i replaced which came with the prop guards were screwed in pretty tight. Not extremely tight, like all my might tight, but tighter than the screws that came with the drone. i tightened them so much because i didnt want any chance of a motor falling loose, but im worried if they are too tight. They take a bit of force to undo, but nothing extreme. And im wondering, if they are too tight, what damage has or will be done? Would it effect performance? could it break the drone housing? i havent flown it after i finished installation, but i flew it after i had installed 2, and i didnt see any noticable drop in performance, but i dont want to mess up my new toy. Thanks for helping.
2016-6-24
Use props
guns&cameras
lvl.2

United States

I also have the prop guards installed. I tightened mine pretty snug as far without stripping the small screws. The plastic is pretty soft so you could actually keep turning and go too far I would think. No degrade in performance as you mentioned...
2016-6-24
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
United States

guns&cameras Posted at 2016-6-24 21:38
I also have the prop guards installed. I tightened mine pretty snug as far without stripping the sma ...

well thats good. afaik i may have stripped one screw slightly because the wrench they provide is a bit loose, nothing too bad. Hopefully everything still works perfectly after investing all that money into it. thank you
2016-6-24
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

The hell with the screws. Now it won't fit in the case. Get these:

http://www.helidirect.com/aerial-freaks-phantom-propeller-guard-quick-release-mount.html

See my signature, I have and use them.  

DSCN7193.JPG
2016-6-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The installation itself does not void warranty. If there is motor damage due to improperly installing the prop guards, then it would void the warranty.
2016-6-24
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3
United States

FAS1 Posted at 2016-6-24 21:53
The hell with the screws. Now it won't fit in the case. Get these:

http://www.helidirect.com/aerial ...

mine have a quick release. still fits XD
also i like how you have multiple different sticker colors. i might do that.
2016-6-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

If you tighten the screws too tight, you'll introduce hairline cracks in the motor mount pillars and they will enlarge with use.  There's lots of vibration and torque on them.  Mine came with blue thread lock and when I took the originals out, I noticed DJI used the same, so I used it too.  Just don't tighten too much and check them now and then.
2016-6-25
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-6-26 02:54
If you tighten the screws too tight, you'll introduce hairline cracks in the motor mount pillars and ...

How would I know if it's too tight? I assume if any damage happened it's too late.

I just flew it. Seems ok so far.
2016-6-25
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Bilzc10 Posted at 2016-6-25 16:08
How would I know if it's too tight? I assume if any damage happened it's too late.

I just flew i ...

That's the sixty four dollar question.  There's an old saying.  Tighten it until it breaks and then back it off a quarter turn.    Seriously though, one develops a feel for such things.  I normally try to go "almost" as tight as I think it will go.  It's just feel.  It would be nice to have torque specs and a tool, but we don't.
2016-6-25
Use props
Bilzc10
lvl.3

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-6-26 09:05
That's the sixty four dollar question.  There's an old saying.  Tighten it until it breaks and the ...

Well I do do a lot of stuff that involves screws, so I feel like I have a sense for how right something should be, but normally things that I'm jamming screws in aren't this expensive. Also, it felt like I could keep turning, but I had already tightened more than dji had. Anyway, I flew it 2 more times today and it works just fine. Hopefully it stays fine. Thank you.
2016-6-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules