Mild crash today, what is your opinions on this.
1756 28 2016-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ccsucher
New

United States

Hello everyone, this form site is new to me. I have been flying my P4P for four months without any issues till today. I was flying at 20ft and clipped a prop and went down. My bird flipped over and landed on the props. Busted the top and bottom case but the gimble, cam battery,motors are still in tack and working. When turning on the bird front lights are solid red but have not really looked inside yet.  The left props were still whole and the right side were both broken.  
Came home took the props off and re-calibrated it and fired it up.  Recorded a video of the motors on. The tones of the left motors are different then the right two when the right stick is either full left and full right.

If it is just the case I feel confratable changing that out. I am handy with basic electronic repairs and modifing. I can take more pics if needed.

VIDEO

Thank you for your input.

13510776_10206780260092777_950121780902678547_n.jpg
13524388_10206780256012675_2954848215014836478_n.jpg
13522055_10206780255732668_8066879593463348498_n.jpg
2016-6-25
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

Bummer. But sounded OK to me. I'd get a new shell.
2016-6-25
Use props
sergio.go
lvl.2

United States

new shell it is!
2016-6-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

'The tones of the left motors are different then the right two when the right stick is either full left and full right. '

Correct, the motors change speed to tilt the aircraft to the left or right, quite normal.
2016-6-25
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

No warnings on motors in dji app? Seems to operate fine? gimbal is all happy as well?
I do remember replacing a shell on my Blade 350..  with the quad having no frame at all, it was a bit of a pain.. not sure how DJI does it, but sure hope it will be easy to manage!
Good luck!

If you do do it, please post progress pics! It will be cool to see how to do it, if anyone else gets into the same predicament!
2016-6-25
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

Phantomski Posted at 2016-6-26 10:20
No warnings on motors in dji app? Seems to operate fine? gimbal is all happy as well?
I do remember  ...

I might set up my gopro and record it all as I do it.
2016-6-25
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I am sorry for the accident!  I had a similar experience today, as mine landed on the props too. My only damage was one prop got discolored.  It flew fine afterwards.
How did you turn it off? I had to grab it and turn off battery.
2016-6-25
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-6-26 10:53
I am sorry for the accident!  I had a similar experience today, as mine landed on the props too. My  ...

I turned it off after it hit the ground when I was able to get over to it.
2016-6-25
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-6-25 20:53
I am sorry for the accident!  I had a similar experience today, as mine landed on the props too. My  ...

Be very aware of the damaged prop.. it may be better to just replace your props, to be on a safe side.. there may be structural issue that will crop up in a while.. Anyone who has any prop impact, just beware, and either replace, or check for stress cracks before every flight.
2016-6-25
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

Drone seems fine just order a new shell from DJI and look up on YouTube how to change the frame
2016-6-25
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

amelia.bolli01 Posted at 2016-6-26 15:33
Drone seems fine just order a new shell from DJI and look up on YouTube how to change the frame

Agreed, and as Phantomski says, throw away the four props and fit new ones. If a prop was to shatter in mid-flight, you could kiss your aircraft goodbye. Not worth the risk for a few dollars.

2016-6-25
Use props
nicholasward671
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3348051 ft

Makes you want to cry! A couple of months ago I discovered stress cracks on my P3P so I decided sod it I will replace the shell myself it took approx 3 hours including tea breaks lol. There are plenty of really good videos on how to on You Tube. One thing I would suggest you do is replace all the cables in the drone costs approx £10 just in case there is a damaged one. I don't know why but one of the last cables to replace is the grey 8 strand one that goes into the top of the gimbal for some reason the plug is arse about faced and needs to be twisted so it faces the other way round before locking the two shells together otherwise you will be unable to plug it in to the gimbal. The job of reshelling is a doddle if you have a little patience ( hence the tea breaks ) best of luck. This post is from someone who is now a free and independent person free from the shackles of the EU ya just got to love democracy lol.
2016-6-26
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

nicholasward671 Posted at 2016-6-26 17:26
Makes you want to cry! A couple of months ago I discovered stress cracks on my P3P so I decided sod  ...

Was your P3P out of warranty when you repaired it?  Since DJI will repair the cracks for free if it's in warranty
2016-6-26
Use props
nicholasward671
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3348051 ft

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-26 11:04
Was your P3P out of warranty when you repaired it?  Since DJI will repair the cracks for free if i ...

Hi  huntcool1001, Bought my P3P in June last year ,in November after seeing reports of stress cracks on this forum I inspected my drone and found several cracks!!! Also seeing bad reviews on Dji customer services I would have been suicidal if my bird had come back worse than when it went plus I could not have been parted from it for any length of time. I bought a new shell and replaced it myself a breeze cost £55. Despite the moaners that abound on some forums the Phantoms are an amazing piece of creativity and ingenuity and full of amazing pieces of technology and can only get better. This post is from an independent and free man free from the shackles of the EU lol. So the answer to your question is it was still under warranty but I couldn't be arsed waiting.
2016-6-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

That is a pretty hard hit my friend. Not sure what a shell costs. You would have to weigh the cost against the possibility of it being a lost cause.
2016-6-26
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

Thanks everyone, props were trashed yesterday as soon as I removed them. Found a couple youtube vids which told me I can do this, I think lol. Waiting on all the parts which should arrive this week and go from there.
2016-6-26
Use props
amelia.bolli01
lvl.2

United States

rodger Posted at 2016-6-26 19:38
That is a pretty hard hit my friend. Not sure what a shell costs. You would have to weigh the cost a ...

The damage is only limited to the shell, that phantom is not toast, just needs repairs
2016-6-26
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Sorry for your crash, ccsucher. I'd suggest you to contact our US tech support and send it in. Here is the contact information: 北美地址.JPG
2016-6-26
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

amelia.bolli01 Posted at 2016-6-26 12:22
The damage is only limited to the shell, that phantom is not toast, just needs repairs

I hope you are right my friend.
2016-6-27
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

I thought I heard a weird grinding sound at about 6 seconds in the video.  Could have been some dirt still in the motors perhaps?
2016-6-27
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

Ok I got it back together, rather simple. Now when go to test everything I get an ESC status error. It all worked fine before I took it apart. Waited for all parts to arrive and then  I carefully disassembled and swapped parts and plugged everything back in. Went to test it and got that message.
2016-7-5
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

ccsucher Posted at 2016-6-26 10:44
I might set up my gopro and record it all as I do it.

Here is what I followed.  http://www.jacksdrones.uk/guides ... tom-3-proadv-shell/[/url]
2016-7-5
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

FAS1 Posted at 2016-6-26 07:05
Bummer. But sounded OK to me. I'd get a new shell.

Dude got the new shell and inner frame the board sets on. Now the motors won't come on and getting ESC status error.
2016-7-5
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

DJI-Paladin Posted at 2016-6-27 11:14
Sorry for your crash, ccsucher. I'd suggest you to contact our US tech support and send it in. Here  ...

I will if I can get any answers.  What is the cost to ship it and want is the average cost of repairs?
2016-7-5
Use props
FAS1
lvl.4

United States

ccsucher Posted at 2016-7-5 20:10
Dude got the new shell and inner frame the board sets on. Now the motors won't come on and getting ...

Sounds like you pinched a wire or 2 during reassembly. Take it apart again and see what you can see.
2016-7-5
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

ccsucher Posted at 2016-7-6 08:13
I will if I can get any answers.  What is the cost to ship it and want is the average cost of repa ...

First, you need to contact support.us@dji.com via email or call 818-235-0789 to get an RMA ticket no. and they will cut you a shipping label to send back for free if you're located in the U.S. . If it's non-warranty issue, they will charge you for outbound shipping; if it's warranty, shipping will also be free both ways.
2016-7-6
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

FAS1 Posted at 2016-7-6 13:36
Sounds like you pinched a wire or 2 during reassembly. Take it apart again and see what you can se ...

Not sure which wires would be pinched, I don't have the top of the shell snapped in place. I will disassemble and reassemble.

Could this be fixed with a new wire kit?
2016-7-6
Use props
ccsucher
New

United States

Is there something I am missing? How do I get notifications or an email when someone replies to post on this forum?  
2016-7-6
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

ccsucher Posted at 2016-7-7 13:03
Is there something I am missing? How do I get notifications or an email when someone replies to post ...

In order for you to get a notification, someone needs to press the reply link in one of your previous posts when making their post (a floating window appears).  If they just type in a new comment (below), it gets added to the thread but no one gets notified.

If you see a partial quote at the top of the post (like this one), it is a reply.  If it is blank, it was just a new comment.
2016-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules