Critical Safety Issue: P4 won't turn off when it is upside down!
876 9 2016-6-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

DJI, please fix this critical safety issue:

I was only flying about 4 feet in my back yard in ATTI mode, and there was a sudden wind gust, which resulted in the P4 to hit an azalea bush, and then the P4 fell up side down on the grass.  It started spinning like it wanted to go to infinity and beyond, but I could not turn it off using the RC!
I tried the left stick down, I tried both sticks down-in, nothing.  It kept spinning and hopping on the grass, dirt flying in the air..It was horror!  I had to risk getting injured, but the only way I could stop this madness was to grab it and turn off the battery!

One of the props turned black at the center area, as it must have dug into the dirt; that motor was hotter than the other 3.  I let it cool down, I vacuumed it and I cleaned it and it looks as good as new, except for one prop.  I replaced the props with the spare set and I plan to purchase another new set.

I feel we should be able to turn off the motors from the RC, without having to handle a dangerous out of control craft and risk injury.

2016-6-25
Use props
aididhaiqal
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1132822 ft
Malaysia

Nop,You do wrong.P4 And Matrice 600 use other combination (Left stick in + RTH button for few seconds)
2016-6-25
Use props
MD_Icarus
lvl.4
United States

I think I tried that option too, but I do not think it works upside down.  It does not like to be upside down, and it wont accept any commands.
2016-6-25
Use props
Airspace Explor
lvl.3
United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-6-25 18:24
I think I tried that option too, but I do not think it works upside down.  It does not like to be up ...

Have you tried this with the propellers off using each of the three methods described in the user manual?
2016-6-25
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

MD_Icarus Posted at 2016-6-26 09:24
I think I tried that option too, but I do not think it works upside down.  It does not like to be up ...

Not meant to offend you, but I seriously doubt this. It's easy to find out though, I'll try tomorrow on my P4.
2016-6-26
Use props
DJI-Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Hello Icarus,as for P4, please use the method in #2 ( Left stick in + RTH button for few seconds) to stop the motors in an emergency.
2016-6-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

huntcool001@gma Posted at 2016-6-26 19:22
Not meant to offend you, but I seriously doubt this. It's easy to find out though, I'll try tomorr ...

Actually he is right. There have been quite a number of documented cases where the aircraft will not respond to a CSC when upside down. It seems when the aircraft is upside down, it is concentrating on turning itself up the right way and while doing so, does not hear the CSC command. It is a known issue and DJI have been very quiet about it.
2016-6-26
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-26 23:54
Actually he is right. There have been quite a number of documented cases where the aircraft will n ...

Clearly, the ears being of top of the aircraft, and the mouth on the bottom, when it's upside-down on the ground, screaming, it is quite understandable why it's screams and panic keep it from shutting down and listening for the CSC command! Sorry, i just had to ;) Or perhaps my self-control is.. well, quite compromised ;)
2016-6-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Phantomski Posted at 2016-6-27 16:01
Clearly, the ears being of top of the aircraft, and the mouth on the bottom, when it's upside-down ...

No, not at all, I am just as weird as you, because I understand completely where you are coming from....

Sad, isn't it?
2016-6-27
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-6-27 16:23
No, not at all, I am just as weird as you, because I understand completely where you are coming fr ...

Just imagine the world if we were in power! See? There are good things about this world! ))
2016-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules