Travelling with a drone
3718 10 2016-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
classic2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 632769 ft
Canada

I'm travelling to miami  soon and would like to know if i can bring my drone? I'm going with air Canada

They said maximum of 2 grams are accepted. How many grams is the drone battery?
2016-6-27
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You are looking at the wrong battery type.
Look at the Lithium Ion (not Lithium metal) battery section here:
http://www.aircanada.com/en/trav ... age/security.html#1

You will find the Watt Hour rating shown on each of your Phantom batteries.
2016-6-27
Use props
huntcool001
lvl.3

Hong Kong

No, there won't be any problem. Just carry the battery with you, instead of in the luggage.
2016-6-28
Use props
keithdelarosa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51654 ft
United States

I bring my drone everywhere I go.

I got a bookbag off Amazon that carries my P4, 3 batteries (one attached inside the drone), controller, propellers, DSLR camera, a few lenses and a laptop. The bookbag gets somewhat heavy but it's the best way to transport it in my opinion.
2016-6-28
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

Okay thankyou very much!
2016-6-29
Use props
classic2003
lvl.2
Canada

I don't need to discharge them?
2016-6-29
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

classic2003@sym Posted at 2016-6-30 02:39
I don't need to discharge them?

Despite many  forum posts suggesting it, no you don't.
It's just another forum myth that people keep spreading with no knowledge of the truth.
The airport security people will never ask or check discharge levels and no airline mentions it on the dangerous goods section of their website where they tell you the batteries must be in carry-on luggage.

2016-6-29
Use props
danmen
New

Austria

Hello all! Can anyone help me with information? I am taking a plane from Austria (Europe, not Australia) to L.A. in a fortnight and will be spending 4 weeks going round the national parks in the southwest. I will be flying back from Salt Lake City. I plan to bring my Phantom 4 with me if in any way possible, but this also raises several important questions. 1)  Will I have any trouble bringing the drone into the U.S. and flying it legally?  1a) Research on the internet, as far as I could manage, shows that the FAA requires you to register your drone in the U.S. since January this year. I could´nt access the registration website from here. Other posters in this thread have stated that I would only be able to register once I landed in the U.S.. Since I will only be spending a day in L.A.  before going into the wild where I will mostly be camping and have a full programm for that singe day in L.A., any suggestions on how to proceed for registration? I have no idea where I would have easy access to a printer or whatever else I might need to register and be able to provide proof of registration if necessary? 1b) As far as I could glean, the FAA will also require some kind of  pilot certification to fly drones like my P 4 from August 28th onwards. Since I am flying back on August 22nd, this should not apply to me, but it still concerns me that the proximity in time to that date might cause some kind of trouble with over-eager authorities. Any ideas on this from the community? 1c) Having a reliable answer to 1a) and 1b) is essential to me. I have no intention of having my drone confiscated or transgressing the law in the U.S.. Siince I will be flying back from a different airport than the one I will be arriving at, leaving the drone in a locker or with authorities at the airport for the duration my stay in case of difficulties upon arrival will not be an option either. I tried calling the U.S. consulate in Vienna for advice, but they had no knowledge or inclination to help at all.   2) Provided I am safe regarding 1),  Will I have to expect any difficulties flying the drone in most National or state Park or Monument  areas or other commmon tourist locations I would be wanting to visit? What should I look out for or be expecting in this regard? 3) As stated I will be hiking and camping in a tent a lot and will be wanting to travel a light as possible. I expect to come up with a lot of footage. Aside from bringing several 64GB SD-Cards, has anyone got a good suggestion of  how to got about storing all that data? Bringing a laptop and an external HDD might be problematic because of possible difficulties with the power  supply while camping. I will be using the car charger to power up the P4. Still, a small laptop and external HDD might be the best option if a power supply is sufficiently accessible on most National Park campgrounds. Any ideas or suggestions form the community here? 4) I would be taking 3 P 4 batteries.  Which lipo bag should I buy for the flights and should I get that certification document on the saftey of flying with lipo batteries which keeps popping up in certain threads on the topic of travelling with drones? If so, can anyone provide a good link?  Many thanks in advance to the community for being supportive in answering my questions! I hope I will be able to resolve them and take my drone. I will also be happy to share my  experiences on my return for others to profit.   
2016-7-12
Use props
atlanticza
New

South Africa

labroides@yahoo Posted at 2016-6-30 01:06
Despite many  forum posts suggesting it, no you don't.
It's just another forum myth that people ke ...

Sorry to disagree but...

The Safety Guidlines in the DJI booklet Intelligent Flight Battery states:

Travel Notice
Before carrying the Intelligent Flight Battery on an airline flight, it must first be fully discharged. This can be done by using your aircraft until the battery is depleted.
2016-7-12
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

atlanticza Posted at 2016-7-12 20:40
Sorry to disagree but...

The Safety Guidlines in the DJI booklet Intelligent Flight Battery state ...

You might disagree but what I wrote is true.
IATA rules say that lithium batteries have to be in a state of discharge for shipping commercial quantities as air cargo.
That's where the DJI recommendation comes from.
But no airline website dangerous goods section mentions this and no airport security check will ever ask for you to have discharged batteries.

2016-7-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Look just drain the battery's, I'm sure they have power and running water in Miami, enjoy the trip.
2016-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules